It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
(female)

marys1358 HB User
Question Giant Platelets

Good Morning All,
I just noticed on one of my test results its states,
PLT MORPHOLOGY-GIANT PLATELETS PRESENT
Can someone explain these results.
Thank you,
Mary

The following user gives a hug of support to marys1358:
GSDDogLover (03-11-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
(female)

marys1358 HB User
Re: Giant Platelets

also on the test
MONOCYES - 3lower
BASOPHILS- 2 higher

thanks again,
Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2013, 04:57 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Mary, hi. My personal collection of lupus books, etc. doesn't speak to giant platelets (sorry). I wonder if the Blood Disorders board---or something akin---has anything? You could an "Advanced Search", using the hyperlink in the blue bar above, to see if that brings up any threads containing the phrase "giant platelets" across ALL boards.

In your shoes, once you find basic info & get a feel for what this maybe entails, I'd then contact my doctor for his/her explanation. If others have suggestions, I hope they'll share. Hope you get more clarity soon! Best wishes, Vee

Old 03-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
(female)

GSDDogLover HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marys1358 View Post
Good Morning All,
I just noticed on one of my test results its states,
PLT MORPHOLOGY-GIANT PLATELETS PRESENT
Can someone explain these results.
Thank you,
Mary
Hi, Mary:

I had that happen awhile back when my platelet count got dangerously low (down to 12,000 at one point). They wrote "giant platelets" on my test results, also. They explained that when they looked at the platelets they were gigantic, in huge rings.

I don't know what else you're going through along with the giant platelets.

In my case, I remember an anesthetic for surgery was thought to have added to a SLE and Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia (ITP) flare-up. My SLE and ITP were active for about 6 months, and steriods would not bring up the low platelets. So, if your giant platelets may also mean "low platelets", please be careful not to get hurt as my doctor warned me very low platelets means your blood cannot clot well.

In my case they treated me with Prednisone, but after six months it had not increased the platelet count.

Please post if you find out what's going on with your platelets and treatment; I'd be interested to hear.

(By the way... I'm new!)

Old 03-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
(female)

GSDDogLover HB User

I'm not sure what the Monos and Baso are tests for. I can see that normal ranges are:

Monos 2-14
Baso 0-2

Mary, from what I was told for about 9 months, very low platelets will show up as giant platelets. This was in conjunction with my ANA continually coming back as positive, and my meeting the SLE criteria. I had to work closely with a hematologist/oncologist and my Rheumatologist to monitor this because of the potential of hemorrhaging.

I don't know if this helps you, but when my SLE and platelet counts did not improve under high doses of Prednisone after 6 mos., I started being religious in taking care of my immune system. I got plenty of sleep, tried to organize my life to greatly reduce stress (not easy!), and started running. I added foods to my diet (daily) that were huge immune supporters or healthy for joint pain, such as flaxseed, wild Maine blueberries, fresh fruits and vegetables. I certainly don't intent to be overly simplistic. However, I notice a huge difference in my SLE levels and severity of flareups when I do not maintain this. I was diagnosed with SLE and low platelets (ITP) 28 years ago. Now, when I do have flare-ups, the rest of my body is very strong.

Mary, did your doctor explain what the giant platelets mean in your situation?

Best regards,

Ellen

Reply Reply