It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
(female)

Katie4593 HB User
ANA Choice test Positive, very concerned/confused

ANA Choice SCR, with REFIL/IFA
ANA Pattern= Speckled
Titer: 1:80 (note states <1:40=negative, 1:40-1:80= low antibody level, 1:80=elevated antibody level)
ANA Choice Screen: Positive

Does anyone know what any of this means, it sure seems abnormal. I don't know why I was never notified of this. With it being Sunday I am calling my doctor in the AM.

Last edited by Katie4593; 03-13-2013 at 10:01 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Katie4593:
GSDDogLover (03-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
(female)

GSDDogLover HB User
Re: ANA Choice test Positive, very concerned/confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie4593 View Post
I'm 19 years old and suffer from hypertension (170/100), strange rashes, and extreme fatigue. All of this is very abnormal for myself as I used to be full of energy and especially my blood pressure being so high as I weigh 120 pounds. Doctors suspected there could be an underlying cause, one being an autoimmune disease such as lupus. I recently was sent to a rheumatologist who tested me for many diseases. With my healthcare center we have our health record available online. this includes lab results. I got the tests done on 2/20 and when I logged on a few minutes ago I saw results that were never up there, and the results were abnormal, I'm very concerned because I was never notified of this. My other lab results all said negative and were written in black but this ANA test was in red and said positive, I will write my results as shown:

ANA Choice SCR, with REFIL/IFA
ANA Pattern= Speckled
Titer: 1:80 (note states <1:40=negative, 1:40-1:80= low antibody level, 1:80=elevated antibody level)
ANA Choice Screen: Positive

Does anyone know what any of this means, it sure seems abnormal. I don't know why I was never notified of this. With it being Sunday I am calling my doctor in the AM.
Hi, Katie:

Being 19, I imagine it's tough suddenly feeling sick when you've been so active. I was diagnosed with SLE at age 21, and my thoughts are with you.

You said you could call the doctor's office today to explain the positive test results from 2/20. Did they explain everything?

I do know that symptoms, and a series of tests (over time) are done to diagnose SLE. It's hard to be patient.

I think working with your doctor on relieving your symptoms now as best they can, while being patient as they go through the steps for diagnosis, may be what you can expect. Also, please ask your doctor if they would recommend something for your blood pressure -- 170/100 scares me.

Please let us know what's going on.

I say this from experience: Sometimes with SLE, the very best thing to do for yourself is take very good care of yourself. If you need to sleep, sleep. Let your friends and family know you need to take care of yourself while you get this figured out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

Hi, Katie. ANA is a general test, so it alone can't diagnose any condition(s). It can elevate in a variety of autoimmunes, but it can laso elevate simply due to a passing infection, virus, or family tendency.

To give you an idea of where 1:80 falls on the ANA scale, 1:40 is the lowest level that gets reported. Next is yours = 1:80. Then 1:160, 1:320, 1:640, 1:1280, and 1:2560. Although 1:80 isn't very high, if a patient has interesting SYMPTOMS, then I'd hope a rheumatologist would pursue further tests & followups.

I totally agree that your BP needs addressed.

Another focus could be your "strange rashes". Where do they appear? What do they look & feel like? Does sun make them worse? Do they itch, scar, depigment, etc.? (Just curious.) FYI, there's a "sticky post" (permanent info post) above the user threads discussing skin problems seen in lupus. Some are specific to lupus while others occur in multiple conditions. If your skin problem turns out to be "lupus-specific", that would be extremely useful diagnostically. The process consists of deep-punch biopsy plus immunofluorescent stain tests---these can often (but not always) prove that a rash is a LUPUS rash.

(I had years of a less-common lupus rash called SCLE annular. Photosensitive; didn't itch, scar or depigment. My local dermies didn't recognize it because it wasn't "malar" or "discoid", apparently the only lupus rashes they recognized. Actually, there are more than a dozen lupus-specific rashes.)

Other tests: when ANA is positive & in the presence of certain symptoms, *more specific* autoantibody tests are usually run. Examples include anti-ds-DNA, anti-Sm, anti-Ro, anti-La, anti-RNP, antiphospholipid, etc. (There are a bunch seen in lupus and in its "close cousins".)

If this does turn out to be lupus or something akin, please know that many people fare very well today, given proper treatment and ongoing followups. So hang in there, OK? I hope you post more soon. With warm wishes, Vee

Old 03-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I agree with Vee's comments. I do hope they pursue this and don't treat your ANA as a negative. It will fluctuate some, so sometimes a repeat during a "flare" of your symptoms will be higher. It is very hard to feel ill when so young and used to being full of energy. Many of us, myself included, have been down this road, so you have understanding, support and information here that can help. Keep us posted, and we SLE vets will try to help you.

Reply Reply

Tags
lupus