It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
(female)

Daisygrace HB UserDaisygrace HB User
From John Hopkins Lupus Center: Things to Avoid w/Lupus

Hi All,

I got this off of the John Hopkins Lupus Center.........things to avoid with lupus

1) Sunlight of course

2)bactrim and Septra

3)garlic

4) alfalfa sprouts

5) Melatonin and Rozerem

6) echinacea

I wanted to share this as a warning........I have been having one of the worst lupus flares ever and now my kidneys are spilling high levels of protein.
For the last 2 and a half months I have been taking melatonin to help me sleep and let me tell you it has been great for a natural sleep aid. But, now this HUGE flare and kidney involvement.

All I can say is thank God I found it!

I hope this helps someone avoid what I am going through now. If I felt well enough I would add all the reasons.

blessings Mary

The Following User Says Thank You to Daisygrace For This Useful Post:
Achycrafter (08-07-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: From John Hopkins Lupus Center: Things to Avoid w/ Lupus

Wow. I knew only 2/3 of these. The garlic really surprised me. (I thew out sauteed string beans after reading.) And for the sulfanomides, while I'd seen that word many times, yet I never could figure out WHICH current antibiotics are in the sulfanomide family. Sure hope you're coming out of your big flare.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I am interested in knowing the reasons for Melatonin. I used to take it, but actually thought it increased my pain at night, so I quit. Perhaps when you are feeling better, hopefully soon, you can elaborate. I know Rozerem increases your own production of Melatonin, so that makes sense. Always learning something! Thanks for sharing this!

Last edited by ladybud; 07-12-2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: left out word

Old 08-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
(female)

Achycrafter HB User

That is very interesting, I was prescribed Melatonin by my PRN. In addition to my Lupus I am currently being treated for Post Concussion Syndrome and have had some severe sleep problems. He is aware I have Lupus and high Liver enzymes so his hopes were the Melatonin with a low dose ambien would help. Some nights it does. Now I will have to do some more research, thank you!

Old 08-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
(female)

Hi ladybug, it's because melatonin revs up the immune system. Those of us whose body is already attacking itself do not want to do that. It sucks I know it really helped me sleep!!

Thank you for your reply!!

blessings, Oh my name is Mary........Daisygrace is my fur baby's name!

Old 08-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achycrafter View Post
That is very interesting, I was prescribed Melatonin by my PRN. In addition to my Lupus I am currently being treated for Post Concussion Syndrome and have had some severe sleep problems. He is aware I have Lupus and high Liver enzymes so his hopes were the Melatonin with a low dose ambien would help. Some nights it does. Now I will have to do some more research, thank you!
I had to tell my rheumy and my pcp these findings. They didn't know either!!!

He initially told me to stay away from the sun of course, gluten and sugar. Nothing about the melatonin!!!

Crazy how we educate them sometimes!!!

blessings, Mary

The Following User Says Thank You to Daisygrace For This Useful Post:
Achycrafter (08-16-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: From John Hopkins Lupus Center: Things to Avoid w/Lupus

Bumping this to the top b/c of a recent post touching on same subject.

Reply Reply