It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
(female)

jakes1mom HB Userjakes1mom HB User
What's a girl to do, about hormonal flare-ups?

Hello everyone, hope all is well with each of you. as for myself, I am doing better, gotten over most of the suffering...lupus flare-up for this month anyways. My problems occure, around about 7-10 days before my period strts..and when it does, i am very thankful. The day it begin..I can already spot changes in rash, pain and over all feeling of torment. I become so very depressed during those times, can't seem to do anything except lay in the bed. I have no energy, or will to want to do anything..that's what i hate the most, giving up to that horrible flare-up. i just don't have the fight in me at times to go head to toe with it...so i lay there..in my bed and deal with it the best way i can. Sleep doesn't come either, no. im not sleeping in bed all day, mostly just laying there, tossing and turning..trying so hard to get comfortable..which i don't seem to be able to ever do.my last flare-up was different than all the others i have been through. The last one..instead of my feet swelling up, my face and under my eyes..also a very bad sinus headache occured. i went to my primary, she told me that the swelling had went to my face and sinus, influmation rather...it was so bad.I had no other choice but to go to the doctor that time, i couldn't take it, she put me back on temp steriod treatment. it works, for now anyways. My rummy left his practice, so i now have to go to UNc chapel hill, they are good, just a long drive..that's the part i hate the most. The lupus flares were not coming so often, until this past december, then every month..before my period would start..PMS i guess? I always thought that hormones played a large role in lupus, how it effected you and flare-ups. Does anyone else suffer the sameway, flare-up before their period? has anyone had any help from other sources, such as a better diet, excercise..anything? i will try whatever, whatever seems to work for you, might work for me as well. I will be so glad when fall comes, this heat is horrible on my skin, feelings. I don't wish time away, just wish for better weather, without so much of the sun,LOL! I hope all of those who suffer right along with me..have found strength in dealing with it, even in the worst of flare-ups. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers..and maybe someday, someway..we might just get cured from this. if not a cure, maybe some better treatment options anyways, that's something we are lacking with this disease. Take good care, think of those who are suffering in quiet and keep them in your prayers.I go to my new rummy sept 26, so ...maybe i'll be ok til then, wont have to go back to the primary doctor for my flare-ups..but if i do, i will go and be thankful for all she has done and will continue to do when i need her to. I am very thankful for the support i have, not none of it coming from my blood relatives, all coming from in-laws and friends. It doesn't matter where it comes from, as long as you're getting it when you need it...and i am! Have a good day folks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
Re: What's a girl to do, about hormonal flare-ups?

I think lupus LOVES hormonal shifts. I wasn't diagnosed during those years but remember having many BLAH days in the days prior to a period, with extra joint pain, blistering headaches, and THE BLAHS. I used to cut back on caffeine, avoid rich foods, and take extra OTC's (like Advil). Only mixed success, though... so I hope others pitch in more suggestions.

I've had sinus problems all summer, my worst season in decades. Just a few minutes of out-of-town driving is all it takes. Pollen count is high here, and everything is overgrown after more rain than usual earlier in the summer. But I'm far from alone: nearly everyone I know has been affected to some degree.

Good luck with your appt. with your new rheum! Bye, Vee

Old 08-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

P.S. I forgot the horrible food CRAVINGS. I always wanted chocolate and/or salty snacks, neither of which was helpful & probably are best avoided!

Old 08-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeJ View Post
P.S. I forgot the horrible food CRAVINGS. I always wanted chocolate and/or salty snacks, neither of which was helpful & probably are best avoided!
Food cravings...gone crazy, LOL!!I am the same way when it comes to that 'special little gift'..that comes around each month. I cam handle that, food cravings..it's all the other horrible side effects that accompany me now that i have developed lupus. the swelling in my face, sinus pain and pressure headaches..that seem to last forever! When it was just leg and feet swelling, i could handle that pretty well. When that feeling of over all uckkk, tiredness and all the other symptoms of a lupus flare-up..that's when i usually have to crawl into my bed and suffer until i can get over it. my period starts..i am usually better that same day! I told my doc about the food cravings a while back, she said she thought it came from a 'lack of some dietary nutrients".As much weight as i have gained from this med..i should be the last one on earth lacking any type of nutrients, LOL! I have increased my water intake...cut way back on carbs and breads, i am trying to do better.I have been having a horrible time with chest pains recently as well. that's a whole other ballgame i suppose. Well, thanks for sharing about your experience..and hope things stay undeer control for you. may God bless you and keep you strong.P.S..think of me when having that chocolate candy bar..i'm laying off of them for now!!

Old 08-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Hi and ouch. Have you talked to your dr. about the chest pain? Lupus can cause inflammation of the sacs surrounding heart or lungs, or inflame rib cage cartilage, etc. (meaning that's only a partial list). Please take care & let us know how you're doing, hugs, Vee (almost off chocolate)

Old 08-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
(female)

i have spoke with a doctor, although..not my regular doctor. she told me about lupus and chest pain involvement..it didn't sound too good! although, i was sorta relieved to hear that i wasn't having a heart attack!! at the time..when my chest pains were happening, i was scared to death..thought i was going to die!! I almost went to the ER! Now, since being back on the prednison it hasn't happened again, go figure huh! I don't know? I do know, it's scary as heck when it happens, it runs my blood pressure up very high and i feel like crap for days after it. i even have some pain in my chest for some times, days after it happens. i was told, it is common for people like us to suffer these pains. wish it were not so.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Hi. I'm so glad you spoke to a dr. & got help for the chest pain, and I'm glad you're seeing your new rheum 9/26. He/she may want to check out your heart; also, because high BP is so brutal on various internal organs, perhaps new rheum will look into that, too...? But if you should feel the need to go to the ER before you see new rheum, hey, just do it, PDQ! Meaning, don't take any chances. I'm sorry this has been a rough spell & hope the worst of it is behind you. Keep us posted. Sending more hugs, Vee (No chocolate today... so far. You? )

Old 08-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

The chest pain probably stopped because you went back on Prednisone. Prednisone suppresses the inflammation that causes chest pain from pleuritis, pericarditis, and costochondritis, all of which can occur in lupus. I do think an echocardiogram should be done when you have the pain next time, just to check for pericarditis. It is more serious than pleuritis (covering of lungs) or costo (cartilage around ribs). An echo will show thickening and possible excess fluid in the sac around the heart if it is pericarditis. It is a non-invasive test (an ultrasound of heart).

Reply Reply