It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2004, 12:48 PM   #1

Scotchie HB User
Lyme and Hormones

Does anyone understand the effect of Lyme on hormones? Many common side effects of this insidious disease include: hair loss, loss of sex drive, menstrual changes, infertility, thyroid/endocrine problems, and severe depression. I was just wondering then, since most of these symptoms can be attirbuted to hormonal imbalances, just how does this bacteria disrupt the equilibrium of the body? And besides antibiotic treatment, what can be done to restore the body's natural functioning? I seem to suffer so greatly from the hormonal imbalances that I am always wondering, is it my thyroid, my adrenals, my female reproductive cycle, the darn Lyme....or what????

Anyway...just wondering.....
Mistakes are the portals of discovery

Last edited by Scotchie; 03-19-2004 at 12:49 PM.

Old 03-20-2004, 11:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Lyme and Hormones

Scotchie I definitely believe that Lyme affects hormones. I have many symptoms of hypothryroidism but my thyroid tests are normal. Have your thyroid checked in case it is out of balance.

It seems that most women experience worse symptoms prior to and during their period, which also seems to point to hormonal influence. It is very hard to discern what symptom is from what problem.

Last edited by ticker; 03-20-2004 at 11:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2004, 07:23 PM   #3

Scotchie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticker
It is very hard to discern what symptom is from what problem.

I totally agree! It's probably the most frustrating aspect of the disease for me. I have many secondary conditions/complications which stem from the Lyme, but have difficulty discerning the cause of my symptom(s) of the moment. I have also had my thyroid checked and it's come back as "normal" but I have many many symptoms of hypothyroidism, so I thought I'd ask the correlation.

Thanks for your reply!
Mistakes are the portals of discovery

Old 03-26-2004, 02:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Lyme is a very, very frustrating disease because it affects so many systems of the body. Also, the symptoms can migrate and come in cycles.

Old 03-26-2004, 11:45 PM   #5

BeachGuy HB User

Before I ever even thought about lyme disease I thought I was suffering from low testosterone, and got tested for it. My test levels were definately much lower than normal (especially for a 22 year old guy).It took me another 5 months since, to realize that I had Lyme. That in itself is enough for me to believe lyme can have a serious effect on hormones. good luck

BeachGuy

Old 04-16-2004, 03:45 PM   #6

Johnpr HB User

Lyme affects the pituitary gland which sends messages to many of the hormones in the body. Lyme is a multi-system illness. Lyme affects the nervous system and can be labeled as MS, guillain barre' syndrome, Parkinsons, Lou Gehrigs, Lupus, chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia.

We have a serious problem with ticks in Missouri. My husband has had guillain barre syndrome and my 18 yr. old son has chronic borreliosis.

Lyme Disease was listed as one of the ten diseases doctors miss in the February issue of Readers Digest. We took him to 40+ health care professionals and spent over $50,000 before we saw a lyme literate doctor here in Missouri who diagnosed him with borreliosis. He was previously diagnosed with depression, CFS/fibro, Addisons Disease.

This is a horrible illness and you absolutely need to find a Lyme Literate Doctor in order to get the proper diagnosis. There are many on the east coast.

mother of Matt 18 yrs. old, suffering from Lyme (borreliosis) Disease, in central Missouri

Last edited by moderator2; 04-16-2004 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Old 05-05-2004, 07:01 PM   #7

polar HB User

it is said that it does affect the pituitary axis. I had mine checked and it was ok. also testosterone was ok.
eric

Closed Thread