It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2004, 11:09 AM   #1
(female)

moecasey HB User
Ticker Exhaustion

Hi Ticker - Here is an update about my mom. She wakes up and within 3 hours is totally exhausted. Her hand is arthritic and can not close it. The thumb and pinky are the worse. Through out the day she says she can close but with intense pain. That is on her right hand. The left hand the thumb and index finger is pain free. The middle finger hurts and the ring and pinky are painful. The ball of her right foot is swollen and it is hard to walk on it. That seems to come and go. The joints of the pinky and 2nd to last toe are swollen and painful. She did some gardening for about 1 1/2 hours and was exhausted, dizzy and nausea. My mom is on the Doxy 200mg still. The dr is not increasing the dose. I told her to start a journal with her every day symptons. She can't start a journal because she can't use the right hand. She lives in SC and I am in NJ. I told her I would call every day to type it up for her. She either forgets, is in denial or I am not sure but leaves out some symptons and then talking another day to her she tells me about something new. It is quite frustrating being so far away and trying to help. She received back her Western Blot with one band present. Not sure what else I can do to help.

BTW I hope you are feeling well.

Old 08-28-2004, 08:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Ticker Exhaustion

Hi mocasey. I am sure it is frustrating to be so far from your mom You are a big help to her.

It sounds like the Doxy is targeting the Lyme. It is normal to feel worse before feeling better and for symptoms to migrate. She really needs to be on a higher dose. Will she being seeing the Lyme doctor in NC? She needs to be tested for the co-infections. What lab was here Western Blot test done at and which band was positive?

The symptom journal is important. She could document the three worst symptoms of each day with a numerical rating (between 1-10) of their severity. This journal helps tremendously over time.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2004, 04:43 PM   #3
(female)

moecasey HB User

Hi Ticker -
I am not sure if she was tested for any of the co-infections. The Western Blot test was done at Stony Brook in NY. I don't know which band was positive either.

She had a great day yesterday. Was out doing errands and shopping most of the day. Got dizzy in one store and took a few mins rest and then she felt "fine". She said she felt pretty good today too. Most of her pains are gone. I will continue her journal and from the start of the Doxy this weekend will be about 4 weeks. If that is the cycle of the bacteria reproducing would she feel it? She spoke to the nurse about the 200mg of Doxy and was told that is the dose they prescribe. I know I read everywhere that 200mg isn't enough. If her symptons are subsiding here and there could it be possible that it is enough for her? I told you she was sick for 6 years but there were years inbetween that she was functioning. And I mean quite well at that - building rock walls and gardening and swimming and working out with weights. She has always been a very physcial person and loves to excercise. I will continue her journal and see how she progresses and I will mention the co-infections or see if I can speak with the Dr myself. How are you?

Old 09-05-2004, 07:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi moecasey. I am gald your mom is feeling better.

I do not think 200 mg of Doxy is strong enough for Lyme. I have never heard of anyone who is seeing a Lyme doctor taking this low of a dose. Even when Doxy is prescribed in combination with another antibiotic, it is a higher dose. Of course I do not know, but her symptoms could be subsiding because the Lyme is not being treated aggressively enough. Also, if she has a co-infection that has not been addressed, Doxy may not be the best med. It is normal to feel worse before feeling better when getting treated for tickborne infections. They are very complicated diseases.

I am hanging in Thank you for asking!

Closed Thread