It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2004, 06:26 AM   #1

jdssred HB User
Exclamation Lymes disease

undefinedundefined

My brother was diagnosed with lymes disease about 6 months ago. He has not been the same since. I did a small amount of research then, but still know far to little about it. My concerns have grown now with my wife being diagnosed with it about 1 month ago. She is always tired and sore all the time. She is taking antibiotics at this time. It appear to me that there is settling of the disease in her neck. From what I have read, once it settles in the neck area or brain there is little hope for living a normal life again. Does anyone have any input for me. I also read that the epedemic is spreading extremely fast and they have found that it can be spread not just by tick bites but also by biting flies, misquitos, breast feeding and sexual contact. Are there any web sites and or documentations out there that I would have access to as far as statistics and risk factors of each of these other possible ways of getting the disease? My wife and I enjoy sex and I would really like to know what needs to be done to keep me from getting the disease. I also take steroids from time to time for my cluster migranes. They help curb the attacks during my active sessions and I don't even want to think about dealing with my clusters without the prednisone to help me along. I see my wife some days and I feel so helpless!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2004, 09:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Lymes disease

Hi jdssred, welcome to the board

Is your brother still being treated? What antibiotic and dose was he given? How long was he treated? What treatment is your wife taking?

Lyme disease is a multi-system bacterial infection caused from the bite of an infected tick. Besides Lyme disease, ticks can transmit several co-infections--Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. Lyme and tickborne infections need aggressive and often long-term treatment. Untreated or undertreated, these diseases can be chronic and debilitating.

It is very important for your wife and your brother to see a knowledgeable doctor so they can be tested for the co-infections and get the proper treatment. Where do you live?

Please read the "Lyme Disease Information" post on this board. I highly recommend the book "Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease." Make sure you get the 2nd edition. Lyme can be passsed through pregnancy and breastfeeding. Some Lyme doctors believe it can be sexually transmitted but from what I understand, there is no documentation of this. You may want to use a condom as a precaution.

The most important things you can do are to find a knowledgeable doctor and learn as much as you can. Your wife is very lucky to have such a caring, understanding husband.

If you post where you are located, I will recommend a Lyme doctor that is closest to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2004, 07:23 AM   #3

jdssred HB User

We live in Hager City, WI. We are about 1 1/2 hours from Rochester and about 1 hour from the Minneapolis St. Paul area. We are looking for a good Lymes disease doctor.

Last edited by jdssred; 09-05-2004 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Miss spelling

Old 09-05-2004, 07:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

jdssred, I do not know of any Lyme doctors in WI or MN. Unfortunately, there are not many knowledgeable doctors. The closest one to you that I know of is in Springfield, MO. If you would like his name, let me know.

Last edited by ticker; 09-05-2004 at 07:38 PM.

Closed Thread