It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2004, 10:49 AM   #1

Confused47 HB User
Lyme Test Negative/Taking Doxycycline

I wrote a week or two ago about a bull's eye rash.

Update: The blood work came back negative. Doctor has me on 100 mg of Doxycycline twice a day for six weeks as a preventative measure. I feel fine.

Should I breath easy since the test was negative?

Should I discontinue the Doxycycline. The doctor didn't feel it was necessary but gave in to my request.

Was the bull's eye something totally unrelated?

Thanks.

Old 08-28-2004, 11:30 AM   #2
Inactive

Komondor HB User
Re: Lyme Test Negative/Taking Doxycycline

Hi Confused47,
Please see a lyme literate medical doctor (LLMD). What area are you in? A bull's eye rash is definitely lyme disease not matter what the test says. Take a picture of the rash in case you need it later on. Hold a ruler or a coin next to the rash for size definition and keep the photo forever.

You are not on a high enough dosage of doxy. The recommended dosage is 300mg to 600mg daily. Ticks can also transmit, bartonella, babesia, ehrlichia, and mycoplasma. It is very important to be evaluated by a knowledgeable doctor. You may also test negative if tested to early after the tick bite as your body is not producing antibodies to fight the disease yet.

There is no test that is 100% - period. So no do not breath easy as I mentioned before - A BULL'S EYE RASH IS DEFINITELY LYME DISEASE and your doctor is not lyme literate. Early aggressive treatment is a must. Please research this further.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2004, 12:09 PM   #3
Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi Confused,

I must have had over 90 Tests done for Lymes before they finally found it. I agree that you should take a picture of your Rash and don't ignore it. Lyme is a very sneaky disease, and I didn't feel really sick until months after I was bit by the Tick.

Good luck,
Deejavu

Old 08-28-2004, 03:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Confused47, I completely agree with the others. The rash alone merits treatment. 200 mg of Doxy is not strong enough. You have a good chance of completely eradicating this disease by getting the proper treatment now. I am sure you want to get the best from your treatment since you are taking it. I know it is hard to imagine how bad Lyme disease can be when you don't have symptoms, but I hope you will listen to this advice.

Old 08-30-2004, 08:31 PM   #5

Camel22 HB User

Even though I'm not an expert, I'd concur. I've been to 3 doctors already & my symptoms go in and out (I've been infected for over 3 weeks).

After initial symptoms, I felt great when I was taking 200mg of Doxy. It wasn't until I bumped to 400mg Doxy that I started feeling horrible and re-experienced the Lyme symptoms -- that's because (at least in my very humble opinion) 200mg isn't strong enough to attack and "blow up" the Lyme strains that exist within your system and push them back into the bloodstream where they can be attacked and fleshed out. 400mg is obviously stronger and can attack and ferret out the Lyme strains from within your system. My new doctor brought me back to 300mg Doxy but added 2000mg Augmentin on a daily basis -- kind of a 1-2 punch if you will.

Its important to get everything done early primarily because it takes so friggin' long to get results. My blood work on the PCR's re: potential other infections has taken over two weeks and the results of the tick I sent to Igenex for testing on all other diseases won't be ready for another 14 days. In the meantime, all I can do is down my antibiotics.

The Following User Says Thank You to Camel22 For This Useful Post:
marti484 (08-29-2011)
Closed Thread