It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2004, 08:25 AM   #1

Jenn100 HB User
Ticker please help with spacing of meds and supplements

Ticker, thank you for recommending the book Everything you need to know about lyme disease. I read it over the weekend. I'm on zithro/plaquenil and mepron for lyme and babesiosis. In the book it states that zithro should be taken on an empty stomach for the best absorption. Food in the stomach cuts the absorption to 50%! I've been taking the three meds with breakfast and making sure it's a high fat i.e., peanut butter because the mepron is better absorbed with a high fat meal. Is this what you know? I'm finishing up my third month of treatment and you think I would know this by now. My supplements I space 2 hours after my meds. Is this right? I take my probiotics first thing on an empty stomach and at night before bed. I guess I'm still trying to figure this all out and I want to make sure I'm getting the best out of the meds and all the supplements I take. I've also read that if you are taking mepron you should not take CoQ10, I take 500mgs. per day per by doctor. I'll be asking him all of this when I see him in 2 weeks. Any input now would be greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone have any advice on what has helped them with a stiff sore neck. The fatigue is also pretty bad and I was hoping it would be getting better by now. The last few weeks seems like I've been going backwards. Maybe the doctor will change my meds or is this normal after 3 months on treatment? Thanks again. Jenn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2004, 09:18 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

ohio hunter HB User
Re: Ticker please help with spacing of meds and supplements

hi jenn
magnesium injections may help with stiff cramping muscels. i also do vit b12 im ( in muscel )as well.
jon

Old 09-09-2004, 09:41 AM   #3

Jenn100 HB User

Thanks, Jon for the info. on the magnesium shots. I had not heard about them. I do, however, take B-12 injections 1 mil. twice a week. The last two weeks it has not been helping at all with the fatigue or the stiff, sore neck. I'll ask my doctor about the magnesium shots. How often do you take the B-12 and mag. shots. I might just be going through a Herx. period. Thanks again and good luck to you with your treatment.

Old 09-09-2004, 10:39 AM   #4
Inactive

Komondor HB User

Jenn,
You should not be taking cq10 while on mepron. Mepron with fatty food/peanut butter is fine but I do take my zithromax on an empty tummy. As long as it does not bother your tummy take it w/o food. There are mixed reviews on that from what I have read but I go empty. You are fine with the probiotics the way you are doing it.

Fatigue is terrible and I too hope this goes away one day. I take T3 which helps and also magnesium (the one Dr. Burrascano suggest) plus b12. Hope you are feeling better.

Last edited by Komondor; 09-09-2004 at 10:40 AM.

Old 09-09-2004, 01:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Jenn100. I am glad you got the book. Personally, I believe it is the best one available for information.

Juggling medications is a work of art I have heard that about Zithromax, but I do not think I ever took it on an empty stomach. Ask the pharmacist if it makes that much of a difference. These antibiotics are strong and it seems to me it would be better to have food in your system before taking them. As long it does not cut the absorbption so drastically.

Yes, you need to have something high in fat each time you take the Mepron so that it is absorbed properly.

The acidophilus and most supplements should not be taken two hours before or after the antibiotics. Check your pharmacy sheet for these and other possible interactions. Dr. B states that COQ10 should not be taken when you are on Mepron. I am not sure, but it may be an absorption issue. Definitely ask your doctor about this.

The neck pain can be intense, I know. A heating pad or some of that pain relief cream can help temporarily. Babesiosis can be a difficult disease. This may be why you are feeling worse.

Hang in there okay?

Old 09-10-2004, 06:21 AM   #6

Jenn100 HB User

Thanks Ticker and Komondor for the advise on how to space meds. from supplements. Ticker, you think I shouldn't space the meds. and supplements 2 hours apart? Should I space them even more? Unfortunately, the pharmacy sheet that comes with these meds. does not mention any interactions with supplements. My pharmacists did not find any info. regarding supplements and meds. It must be my brain fog lately, but I can't figure out a good system and how many hours I should space them out. It seems that a good portion of my day is spent writing down what I've taken and what I still have to take. Also, does anyone ever experience pain in the jaw. I feel like I'm having dental problems because the pain radiates up through my jaw and temple area. I'll take all of this up with my Dr. next week. I can't tell you how helpful these boards have been for me through all of this. Thanks again for your help and support.

Old 09-10-2004, 08:58 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

ohio hunter HB User

hi jenn
i should 2 shots a week, 1 gram mixed with litocane, but we seldom get them done. my wife gets jaw/tooth pain, terible headaches, motion sickness and pannic attacks. my case is muscel waisting, leg primarily, first dx as als.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:52 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Jenn100. You should wait at least two hours before or after taking the antibiotic to take acidophilus. This may apply to the supplements as well. For instance, when someone takes Doxy they cannot take any iron or magnesium products within two hours of the Doxy. But I believe this is located on the pharmacy info sheet for Doxy.

It is a good idea to write down when you take your meds so you don't have to rely on a Lyme ridden memory One way to do this is to get the large index cards. Write the date and each med across the top (making a column for each). Then just fill in the time you took each med for that date. It really does take some doing to get a system down, but you will.

Old 09-12-2004, 11:45 AM   #9
Veteran

dancergirl587 HB User

Jenn, I reccomend getting a pill oraganizer, that helps me keep meds straight a little bit easier. I also suffer from the jaw soreness sometimes. Mine hasn't been really severe but sometimes when chewing something I get this really intense pain, my jaw basically locks up. Is your's like that? Or is it always hurting?

Closed Thread