It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2004, 11:06 AM   #1

bostonpacker HB User
Could my bowel problems be related to Lyme disease?

I have been having bowel problems for approximately 3 months now and have been posting alot on that board. Someone on there posted that they had similar problems and was later diagnosed with Lyme disease. I was wondering if this has been the same for others. It started out with me waking up one day feeling bloated with abdominal pain, nausea, and a fever. I went about 6 days without a BM, I usually have 2-3 a day, and when I finally had one it was black and grainy. I continued to have problems with BM's and after seeing my doctor I got referred to a GI and they both felt that I had constipation. I have had countless tests done...CT scan, Upper GI, gastric emptying, meckel's scan, etc and everything has come back normal. However, I continue to have problems. At this time I have a BM every morning but it is always a small amount and consists of thin, narrow poops and often contains undigested food. I continue to be constantly bloated and sometimes nauseaus. I get cramping in my stomach immediately after eating and periodically throughout the rest of the day. I have lost 25lbs since this all began. My doctors continue to be uninterested and treat it as constipation although I have done everything that is supposed to fix this but continue to have problems.
Anyway, I never had the bulls eye rash or saw a tick but I do take my dog for walks in the woods everyday and have found many ticks on her. Does this sound like lymes disease to anyone? Im just looking forward to some answers and guess I have to do my doctor's job for him. Id appreciate any info anyone has.

Thanks, Boston.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2004, 03:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User
Re: Could my bowel problems be related to Lyme disease?

Hi Boston -

That was me that found you on the IBS board...I will let other's post their opinions since I already voiced mine. Your story sounds so much like mine before the other symptoms started setting in....I had the grainy poops...I am getting very graphic but it is just a fact.

Hope you get better and find answers soon.

-ncgirl88

Old 11-21-2004, 04:50 PM   #3

bostonpacker HB User

NC girl,

Did you have the constipation as well. Ive been looking at lyme disease and there are a lot of symptoms listed that I have not had. Too be honest, I would almost be relieved to find out that it is lyme disease just to finally know what it is and deal with it. Im going to the doctor tomorrow so I will bring this possiblity up. Is there a test that they could do...blood test, etc? Thanks again for your help.

boston.

Old 11-21-2004, 05:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User

Yes, Boston - I had basically classic IBS symptoms....it actually started out as a couple days of bad diarreah then it progressed into IBS fluctuating back and forth between diarreah and constipation. At the time I did not have the other symptoms...those started about a month after the IBS started and continually expanded until I had full blown neurological symptoms etc. I had weight loss at the beginning, loss of appetite and nausea practically all the time.

I hope it isn't lyme or coinfections too. It isn't too fun. I guess my best advice is to try to seek out a LLMD (lyme literate M.D.) in your area and be sure you get tested for coinfections like Bartonella, Ehrlichiosis, Babesiosis, and Mycoplasma - I was tested through conventional labs twice before going to an LLMD and through IgeneX when I found out I have lyme and two coinfections. I have started treatment and finally now I am starting to feel a little better.

Take care and good luck

-ncgirl

Old 11-22-2004, 06:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

dealer1111 HB User

Also check for food allergies.

I had many symptoms like yours. I had 13-food allergies, wheat, dairy, bananas, peppers and others. I had sevre pain when eating, I had a yeast infection of the guy and intestines and allergies.

After I cleared up the yeast and cut out all foods I had reactions too, all my gut problems have gone away. And I had severe pain each time I ate. I was on the purple pill, and all types of anti-acids, have not taken them for almost a year now!!!

Found a good doctor this is key, someone that cares!

Old 11-22-2004, 06:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi bostonpacker, welcome to the board!

Lyme disease can cause many different symptoms and it affects everyone differently. When it is a possibility, it is very important to see a knowledgeable doctor. No test is completely reliable. A knowledgeable doctor will consider your entire history and not rely solely on test results.

Although a bullseye rash is a definite sign of Lyme disease, only about 50% of people who have Lyme ever get a rash. Are you located in Boston?

Keep searching, you will find out what is wrong.

Old 11-22-2004, 08:26 AM   #7
Veteran

dancergirl587 HB User

I also have stomach problems, pain/cramps, and feeling nausous like Im going to throw up a lot of the time. Plus like NCGirl I have constipation and diareeah, it alternates. I also have gained weight and then I go through periods where Im hungry all the time to times where I don't want to eat anything. My tastes can change in aheartbeat, I can be trying tp pick something out to eat for supper and by the time I'v decided, I don't want it anymore or Im feeling sick to my stomach again. I totally agree with the others on getting to a LLMD, very important! God bless!~

Old 11-22-2004, 08:42 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User

DancerGirl -

The loss of appetite is strange...when I was not being treated I would go all day without being hungry then at 10 p.m. I would be ravenous even though I had made myself eat during the day...so weird.

I am still having the cramping off and on...when I took the doxy it all went away unfortunately I was not under a doctor's care and I herxed really badly so I discontinued taking it...I am now taking the mepron and zithromax to first get the babesiosis under control...I am hoping though to go back on the doxy at some point and maybe lose these stomach issues...I think they are being caused by the ehrlichiosis in my case.

-ncgirl88

Closed Thread