It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 03:53 PM   #1

JamesII1984 HB User
How long does it take before antibiotics start working?

I have been taking Biaxin 500mg twice a day for the last two weeks (and was taking 750mg of Flagyl on top of that for the first 5 days), but have yet to see any improvement in my symptoms. Does anyone know how long it takes before improvements can be seen? None of my symptoms have subsided yet so I'm a bit worried. The intestinal side effects from the antibiotics are gone (thanks for all the suggestions, the probiotics and such really seem to have helped), but all my symptoms---the twitches, the black spots in the eyes, the palpitations, the balance problems, the earthquake sensations, the diziness, the memory and speech problems, the ringing in the ears---and so on and so forth---are all very much still with me. I would not expect them to be gone by now of course, but at least I would think they would be subsiding? But so far, there seems to be absolutely no effect whatsoever.

I'll be seeing my doc again in a few weeks. The blood tests were equivocal and didn't meet all of the CDC standards for a positive diagnosis, but in looking at all of the blood tests I had had over the past 6 months my doctor says it shows I definitely have an infection of some kind, and that it is "winning," based on various blood counts, she just isn't positive it's Lyme since the results less than confirmed it beyond a reasonable doubt (many bands were active but were not high enough, or something to that effect). She is having me get tested for EBV and Mono and something else but says that she cannot think of any other disease that would have caused all of my symptoms, especially since they started right after the tick bites, and especially since I was so healthy before that.

When I told her I had taken minocycline at 100 mg a day from my dermatologist for acne (I started getting bad acne right after I started getting sick, but of course at that time knew nothing of Lyme disease and just thought it was hormonal, plus the sickness I felt was probably just a bad flu) a couple weeks after the tick bites for a week or so (about 9 months ago from now) she said that could cause some potential problems, but didn't go into detail. I'm wondering if that might have caused any kind of antibiotic resistance....She did mention that it would have an effect on the accuracy of the blood tests though, so she ordered a urine test. I just sent it in to Igenex and my doctor will get the results in a few weeks (although I think there might be some issues since I was supposed to keep the urine refrigerated the whole time but the power went out in a storm for quite a while, so hopefully pee doesnt spoil as quickly as my milk and yogurt did).

If I don't see improvements on antibiotics, does that mean I don't have Lyme? I don't care what is wrong with me just so long as it can be treated, but I'm just worried since my doctor said that all of my symptoms point to Lyme, so therefore, if it's not Lyme, then that is just one more doctor who doesn't know what is wrong with me...I really really hope I didn't cause some kind of antibiotic resistance with that short course of minocycline I took (but I never would have known anyway). I just want to be healthy again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 04:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

laurie864bla HB User
Re: How long does it take before antibiotics start working?

You must wait a month for the reproductive cycle to see if they're killing. Also, my son started Biaxin a couple weeks ago and no change at all until we added the omnicef. Then big changes for the better. His doc, "the best" in the world I am told says you must be on two--one inside the cell and one working outside. Good luck.

Old 12-01-2004, 04:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi JamesII1984. I can understand your wanting to see a difference since starting the meds, but believe me it can take some time (especially if you have been sick for a while). Are you currently taking only 1000 mg of Biaxin? Two weeks is not long enough to tell.

Many, if not most, people do not test positive by CDC standards. No test is completely reliable. The CDC requires a large number of bands to show for the test to be positive by their standards and at the same time they state that a negative test does not rule out Lyme disease! Test results should never be the only criteria used to determine treatment for tickborne infections.

Having been on antibiotics can influence test results, but some doctors want their patients on them before they get tested. I would ask your doctor why she thinks the minocycline you took could be a problem. It is often prescribed for Lyme. I don't see how you could have an antibiotic resistance from taking such a low dose.

I know it is hard to be patient but this bacteria has had free reign for some time. It will take time to get better, and it is normal to feel worse before feeling better.

Last edited by ticker; 12-01-2004 at 04:53 PM.

Old 12-01-2004, 05:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

dealer1111 HB User

Wanted you to know, one year ago I had all of the symptoms you had, and maybe a few others hard for all of us to put into words what is happening to us.

It has been a year, and my speech isn't as bad as it was, my vission is better, and the real terable sick feelings are gone for a good part of the week.

I am sorry to hear you doing so bad, really am... Hope we all find our cure in life no matter what ales us...

Closed Thread