It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2004, 04:26 AM   #1

Ciarra HB User
lyme disease and dental work

I went to the dentist yesterday and he told me that he would not be able to do dental work since I had lyme disease even though the disease is gone after my antiobiotic treatment. They said that sometimes lyme can damage the heart valves (my lyme was only in the knees - no other symptoms) and asked if I had ever had my heart checked. I have not.

He said that when doing dental work alot of bacteria from the mouth goes into your blood stream and if valves are damaged can cause infection in heart and that is why heart patients must take antiobiotics before dental work. So he said he needed a note from my doctor saying I did not have heart problems from the lyme - if not would have to take antiobiotics before dental work.

Has anyone come across this problem. Really worries me now wondering if I should have an echogram of the heart to make sure it is okay?

Old 12-04-2004, 04:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

laurie864bla HB User
Re: lyme disease and dental work

Your dentist is AWESOME!! Hooray for him/her!! You shoud take antibiotics as a precaution at the dentist unless you are positive there has been no damage. It's just like 4 pills before and that's it. Not to mention, news programs have done some undercover studies of their water at dentist's offices and found it is really disgusting and harbors all kinds of bacteria. Could make someone very sick. So, consequently I always premedicate. Just to be on the safe side. So good your dentist klnows something about Lyme tho. I hope that means things will start to change for the better awareness wise. Hope you continue to do well. --L

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2005, 07:40 AM   #3
(male)

Carl Erik HB User

I told me dentist that I have Lyme on my last visit. She knew that I was on antibiotic therapy but said nothing but congratulations that it was not MS. I see her again next week and will let you know what she says.

Old 02-14-2005, 09:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User

Hi Carl Erik, yes, that happened to me too. My dentist said I should take antibiotics before any dental work from now on. Of course, I am on antibiotics right now, but he said even in the future.

I think you should take this as a good sign that your dentist is knowledgeable and that's a good thing.

Old 02-14-2005, 11:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User

Wow your dentist sounds like one EVOLVED doctor! That is awesome! Don't be scared...just go get your heart tested so you can have piece of mind. I would definitely premedicate no matter what - that is a question I have too - If you are already taking abx's should you take additional ones and different ones before dental work?

-ncgirl

Closed Thread