It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2004, 09:13 AM   #1
(male)

Don33 HB User
Lyme and Diabetes

First hello everyone,

I found this forum looking for answers on the almighty internet.
I am a military veteran, and while doing a training exercise in the forests of Tenn. in 1998/99 I was infected with lyme disease. We were out training for about 2 weeks, and the ticks were wild. My soldiers and I kept pulling the obvious ones off that we could see, most hadn't even grabbed hold yet. We ended our training and went back to our homes. Well one of the first thing a troop does when he/she goes home is take a shower and get cleaned up. So I left all my gear on the back patio and took off what clothes I could. I proceeded to the shower and while getting cleaned up, I asked my wife to help me check my body over for any ticks. Well we found 2 of them holding on strong. One on my hip area and the other in a very hidden place. After removing them, I didn't think much about it until about a month later.

I awoke one early morning getting ready to go do my morning Physical training, still dark in the house. Well as I rolled out of bed my left thigh was itching and not just a normal itching, after trying to figure out if I got bit by something I turned the light on, and what a surprise I saw. My whole upper leg was like a big hive, all bumpy and red. I went to the military clinic that morning. They gave me some Benadryl said it was an allergic reaction to something new I was using. Hmm, the wife didn't change anything, no new products in the house, never been allergic to anything new before. Well the Bendryl didn't do a darn thing. This rash spread over the next 2 days to cover my entire body to include my face which is when I really got scared.
I went to the ER and was given a shot of cortizone, and told to go to the clinic in the morning. That was the worst shot I have ever had in my life. I went to clinic, and they did some blood test, my white blood count was severely elevated, I told the physician about the tick bites, and he said that could be what this whole thing was. That I may have lyme disease. He put me on a dose of Doxy and after a day or two everything went away.
I have had minor joint problems and back problems since then and my white blood count always seemed a bit elevated when blood test were done.
I left the military in 2003 and seemed alright until early fall this year. In Sept I became very thirsty all the time, I didn't think much about it until my vision got all blurry, so I went to the VA center. They tested my blood sugar and I was told that I had typeII diabetes. How could that be? Maybe it was just my luck. There is no history of diabetes in family anywhere. I am definately not overweight, my age isn't a factor, Im only 33. Is it possible that the lyme disease has something to do with my diabetes?
I don't know.
Anyway that is my story sorry it was so long.

Last edited by Don33; 12-20-2004 at 09:20 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2004, 12:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Lyme and Diabetes

Hi Don33, welcome to the board!

Do you remember how long you took the Doxy and/or what the dose was? Many doctors do not understand Lyme and follow outdated treatment protocols. It is possible that you may not have received strong enough or long enough treatment. Besides Lyme, ticks can also transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected so it is important to be tested. It will affect treatment choice and progress. Do you know if you were tested for these? When these illnesses are a possibility, it is very important to see a knowledgable doctor. No test is completely reliable. Where do you live?

Lyme can affect multiple systems of the body. I don't know if there is a connection to Lyme and diabetes, but I know this has been asked before. I would think when the immune system becomes stressed when fighting a disease like Lyme, it could throw off the balance of the different systems. I have had low blood sugar incidences that I attributed to Lyme because I never had them before.

I think it would be a good idea for you to be evaluated by a Lyme knowledgeable doctor and be tested by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX Lab in Palo Alto, CA. If you tell me where you are located, I will tell you of the closest knoweldgeable doctor to you that I know of.

Old 12-20-2004, 01:17 PM   #3
(male)

Don33 HB User

I am near the Tampa FL area, I see the VA clinics, currently at this time I do not have health insurance so I see them for a small fee.

ok reading over my medical file, this all happened about 6 to 8 weeks after the tick bites. From what I am reading I had the rash for about a week, chest pain and flu like symptoms. They tried treating me with the benadryl, zyrtek, prednisone, and then finally Doxycyclin. Its hard to make it out completely, but looks like 100mg Doxy for 10days. That doesnt seem to be a very high dosage, but I am no doctor. This happened in Aug 99. Looking over my discharge lab results everything was in the normal range except for my WBC white blood count which was classified as high. Didnt have a cold or anything during that lab, so don't know what my body was fighting off.

Old 12-20-2004, 06:49 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

ohio hunter HB User

hi don
you are right, 100 is not enough. i went to a llmd in pa a week ago today and he asked what i wanted and i told him i wanted to walk again, so i am on 500 mg flagyl and doxy twice daily and 250 avilox once. he also recomended hi dose vit c, real salt and recomended i get an oxygen generator and use it all i wanted.
i have a freind from tampa who is a salesrep for the same lubricant co as me who has diabetes and had a toe or two removed this year i told him to get checked for lyme but i do not have a fla dr in my notes for you. there was someone from jacksonville at the dr office last week too.
jon

Old 12-21-2004, 09:52 AM   #5
(male)

Don33 HB User

bump for ticker

Old 12-21-2004, 10:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Don33. You were definitely undertreated both with dosage and treatment time. The recommended dose of Doxy for Lyme is 300-600 mg daily. The miniumum treatment time for an infection caught within two weeks of the bite, is six weeks of the right dose. If the infection is longer or if symptoms are still present, further treatment is warranted. Many doctors do not understand these diseases and grossly undertreat.

It is important to be evaluated by a Lyme knowledgeable doctor and be tested for the co-infections that ticks can transmit. There is one in Temple Terrace (near Tampa). I have heard good and not so good about him. Would you like his name?

I don't know if any of the VA doctors would be Lyme literate. There are not many who are. Maybe one would be willing to test you through a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA. It is definitely worth trying.

Closed Thread