It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2005, 10:30 AM   #1
(female)

trigal HB User
allergic reaction to IV Rocephin - Doxy. any good?

Had my PICC put in yesterday (what an unexpected ordeal!) and started my first does of Rocephin at the Dr.'s office. Within 5 minutes of starting the Rocephin I began to have a severe allergic reaction and needed to stop. Tried Benadryl and then Rocephin for a second time but had another allergic reaction so of course no Rocephin for me My Dr. wants to put me on Doxy. 200mg IV x2 a day. With CNS invlovement I understood Rocephin to be the most effective. How does the Doxy. compare to Rocephin?

The entire day was a nightmare with nurse "Ratchet" doing my PICC line and missing my vien and just thrusting the needle deeper and deeper into my arm trying to find my vien - the pain was so intense for me (and no, I am not a whimp when it comes to pain) that I past out - maybe that was a good thing. Then after I came to I had that allergic reaction and had difficulty breathing and felt like I had an attack of poision ivy in my nose and throat. Then just too throw in a really kicker, at check the fee was $75.00 over what I was told. Well, there was a "room charge"... a "room charge" to have the PICC line inserted at my Doctors office. Of course I was too exhausted from the drive up there in bad weather and the entire experience to argue so I just let it go...

What is the deal on Doxy? I know everyone is different but I heard lots of good things about Rocephin and I am worried that Doxy. might not do the trick. To be allergic to the one thing that may heal you is a really bummer, but trying to keep a positive tude!.
TG

Last edited by trigal; 01-15-2005 at 10:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2005, 10:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User
Re: allergic reaction to IV Rocephin - Doxy. any good?

Geeez, what a big, fat stinky day YOU had. That's not cool at all!!! So sorry you went through that, trigal.

Don't worry about the abx, you can kill lyme with other stuff. I have never had an IV or Rocephin but I'm getting better. I did have a few bad experiences in the beginning and there are several antibiotics that I can't take for the same reason, but there are many more out there, so don't worry.

I take doxy and it's good. Give it a try, see how it works, if you have to add something or change something, just listen to your body and keep your doctor informed. I also take zithromax and plaquenil. I like that combination, but I know not everyone does.

You can't take something you're allergic too, so don't dwell on it. Keep trying, you'll be okay. Best to you, and I hope you never have a day like that one again!!!

Old 01-15-2005, 12:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi trigal. I am so sorry all this happened. That nurse sounds horrible!
I am sorry about your reaction to Rocephin. Thank God you were at the doctor's office when it happened.

IV Doxy can be effective also, and the dose you will take is in the range for Lyme. I believe that IV Claforan is similiar to Rocephin. But I don't know if it is similar enough where it may be a problem for you also. Sometimes doctors prescribe this instead of Rocephin because it is easier on the gallbladder. You may want to ask your doctor about it. You may want to go ahead with the Doxy and see how you do.

Don't worry, there are many different meds that can treat Lyme. Hang in there.

Old 01-16-2005, 06:46 AM   #4
(female)

trigal HB User

Thanks... It is reassuring to hear that Doxy. is effective as well! I think I have PTSD from that experience I try the Doxy. on Tuesday with my primary close to home - with no extra room charge -whoo hoo!!!

TG

Old 01-17-2005, 01:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User

Hi Trigal - I just wanted to extend my frustration and regret that you had to go through that experience getting your PICC line in...I am so sorry you went through that. It must have been extremely scary! I am glad you got through it and it is in the past now.

I bet the doxy works great for you!

Take care,
gretchen

Old 01-17-2005, 01:40 PM   #6
Veteran

dancergirl587 HB User

Wow that sounds like an awlful experience!!! I'm soo sorry that it was so painful and scary! I hope things get better for you real soon! God bless~

Old 01-18-2005, 04:32 PM   #7
(female)

trigal HB User

Thanks all...It was really just horrible......Guess when he told me he worked in the ER I should have figured he was accustomed to jabbing people who were already all shot up with pain killers or something.

I was suppose to begin my IV Doxy today but the delivery of meds never made it to my Dr.'s office! Gee, so here I sit with a PICC line for 5 days and no IV meds. I guess we all just get use to the frustrations and learn to roll with it ...

Old 01-18-2005, 04:57 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User

Five days with a pic line and still no doxy? I think I would be a little wiggy about that. I hope they come through for you soon.

Closed Thread