It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 10:06 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

dealer1111 HB User
Echinacea is a flower native to North America

Echinacea is a flower native to North America, which has been used as a common herbal remedy by Native Americans for treating and preventing colds, flu and infections.

Echinacea extracts have been shown to stimulate the growth and activity of cells of the immune system (macrophages, natural killer cells, T-cells). Such activation of protective mechanisms is thought to increase the bodyís defenses to infection by bacteria and viruses.

Anyone hear of this? it was rated one of the highest forms of treatment for Lyme by users on a website that vote for the best results they've found.

Old 01-24-2005, 10:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

laurie864bla HB User
Re: Echinacea is a flower native to North America

Yes Ekim,

We use it for colds and sore throats. Works great. Have not tried it for Lyme but it supposed to support immune function, so I do not think it would hurt. I read something a while back on this herb--something not so good, but I cannot remember what. Maybe it was nothing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 11:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User

This is a very common herb in naturopathic medicine. It's like the most known and used product in homeopathic remidies. I use it a lot and it does stimulate the immune system.

The things you might have read that were negative are firstly, it cannot be used constantly. Your body will stop reacting to it if you use it nonstop. You have to just take it on the onset of a cold or you can pulse therapy with something like lyme. Secondly, it is of the ragweed family, so you may get minor allergic reactions to it if you have allergies to ragweed.

Old 01-24-2005, 12:02 PM   #4
(female)

trigal HB User

Humm.... I was instructed by my Doc not to take it because it is not good for those with autoimmune issues. He asserts that lyme can trigger autoimmune issues for certain people. I am taking other suppliments prescribed by him for immune inhancement and based on my pre and post immune testing they seem to be supporting my immune functioning.

Bad brain fog today = poor spelling tendancies...

TG

Old 01-24-2005, 12:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

I have also heard it should not be taken constantly because it reduces its effectiveness. Also, from what I understand it should not be taken with antibiotics.

Old 01-24-2005, 09:18 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

fotomom HB User

hmmmm thats in my daily pile of pills.... 2 weeks on 2 weeks off.... I have done this for years.... (ever since I was flight Attendant)...... I am starting my 2 weeks off.... I guess I will ask my LLMD..... I am pretty sure he knew I was taking this... crazy!

Old 01-25-2005, 05:11 AM   #7
(female)

trigal HB User

Yea I would definatly ask. In my prescription drug book it lists the different herbs and vitamins that should not be taken concurrently with specific drugs. It lists echinacea as a no-no when taking most antibiotics and does comment on the need to pulse the herb as well as warning to those with any sort of autoimmune issues.

Closed Thread