It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User
What's okay with Doxy?

Hi everybody,
As you all know I started on Doxy last Wednesday night and I laid out a chart for the stuff I take so it doesn't interfere with the Doxy but I have a few questions. Being on the IV was great because there really were no food
and few drug restrictions. I take 100 mg Doxy 2x per day (know that's not enough but hope to up it after my next lab), I am going to list what I take and see if you all concur that it's all right.

8:00AM 100mg Doxy plus 16 oz water and toast or oatmeal and peaches
(I have a weak stomach and felt food would help -
my pharmacy paper said you can eat a small meal)
11:30AM 1 peppermint/oregano capsule to help with digestion
12:00 Noon I eat lunch and then take a vitamin B combo for the nervous
system
12:30PM 1 acidophilus (1 billion cultures)
1:00PM 1 milk thistle to make sure the liver enzymes don't go crazy again
6:30 - 7:00PM 100mg Doxy plus 16oz water and small dinner meal
10:00PM 1 calcium tablet
I also drink at least 32 more ounces of water each day and drink Sleepy time tea just before bed (it helps a little). I sometimes drink green tea to help the immune system (a couple of times a week).
My question is can I still take calcium with the Doxy as long it is at least 3 hours before or later? I was also just taking the milk thistle once a day and saw on the bottle you can take it 3 times a day. Just to protect the liver I would like to take it at least twice a day. Is this okay and does it need to be 3 hours either way from the Doxy too? Also am I taking enough acidophilus? I know it needs to be the 3 hour deal but not sure if I should take it twice a day. I haven't taken the calcium for a couple days because of the precaution on the Doxy paper but I'm 57 and really think I need to be taking it.
I can't remember who but somebody wrote in and talked about their ovaries bothering them and was wondering if this is a side effect of the Doxy because mine are bothering me too and I had not had a problem before the Doxy.
Rocephin really helped more than I realized and I haven't seen anything yet with the Doxy but I guess I just need to be a little patient. One thing that I will say is that after the 3 week layoff from the meds I feel like I took a few steps back. I never had pain (just a little in the back of my knee when I stood too long) and now I have pain (arms, shoulders, and headaches). Some days my legs hurt too - I can't tell if they feel really hot or really cold. It's hard to explain. And my equilibrium had gotten a lot better and now it's horrible again. Does this mean that the critters are back in the blood and therefore more visible symptoms are happening. Don't know if it's the meds or what. Maybe one of you has had some of the same problems. Can't wait for this stuff to kick in and stop the insomnia and the leg twitching like the Rocephin did. With the dose this small will I see any of the progress I made come back? Don't know if this small a dose will help and just take longer or won't help at all? Just want to start sleeping again. I really thought I was just taking baby steps with the IV but now I see how much progress I had made. Ticker said she was impressed that I had made so much progress when I was on the Rocephin and I just didn't realize how right she/he was. Last question, how long will it take the Doxy to kick in at all - even the smallest step will make me feel that I'm not swallowing all this stuff for nothing. Thanks for any and all input. By the way -GO PATRIOTS what a great game! Love em when they are that close.
betterdaysforme

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

laurie864bla HB User
Re: What's okay with Doxy?

I do not know about doxy, sorry. One Mark has not been on. I just wanted to write real quick before bed and tell you about ginger for digestion--works great. The oregano and peppermint work for you? I hadn't heard about oregano for digestion. They are both powerful antiseptics in essential oil form. Peppermint oil is great for s'aches and pain according to my book. The ginger tea is super on Mark's stomach aches as is the oil diluted for massage. It is also antiseptic. Hope you do well and best of luck.--L

Old 02-07-2005, 09:15 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

fotomom HB User

With doxy I too have found I need to eat with it.... I am on doxy 400mg, zithromax 500mg and plaquinel

I eat a small breakfast, taking most of my herb pills, and acidolophous 10 billion
eat lunch with all my meds
around 4pm take more acidolophous and b12 & magniesum
eat dinner 6pm about 30 minutes after dinner take meds....
bed time take my bladder pills for my IC....

I don't take any extra calicum but I probably should.... I can barely take everything that I am on to begin with!

Old 02-07-2005, 10:29 PM   #4
(male)

RCA 7591 HB User

betterdaysforme,

You need to avoid dairy products, iron, calcium, and supplements for at least three hours before or after taking the Doxycyline. The problem with these agents is they reduce the absorbtion of the antibiotic, making it less effective.

200mg per day is not enough, 400mg will work much better. I too was originally started out on 200mg per day, it didn't have an effect on the Lyme.

After taking 400mg (for the past three weeks), all Lyme symptoms are gone, completely gone. I was ordered to stay on the Doxy for 6 months, the dose will soon increase to 600mg just to be safe.

Doxy is very potent, in my case I get very sick if I do not eat something with it. Anything with bread seems to do the trick.

I sure hope the Doxy works for you. In my case, after taking it for three weeks, it really did wonders. I had some really nasty heart and pulmonary complications, which are now gone. Joint pain, headaches, brain fog, and all other symptoms are gone. I do not take any supplements other than Aspirin, just the Doxy.

I did not have the co-infections, just Lyme. I think the Doxy works very well for plain Lyme.

Take care, hope you are feeling better soon!

-Ryan-

Old 02-08-2005, 06:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User

It also works extremely well for the coinfection ehrlichia. I hope that I can go back on it because of all the meds I have tried I had the biggest herx on the doxy....

Old 02-08-2005, 06:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User

Hi all. I have heard a few people say they avoid taking their milk thistle at the same time as doxy. I am assuming that you do this because you were told not to have milk with doxy. Just wanted you to know, milk thistle is a plant that they extract from to help the liver, but it really has no milk in it and is not calcium based.

No one said that this is why you aren't taking it with doxy, but it sounds like that's what the thought is. Many of us have different kinds of thistle in our yards, it's a broadleafed weed that's very *****ly. I feel sorry for anyone who harvests it!

Old 02-08-2005, 10:16 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

ohio hunter HB User

hi all
my wife found something called zzztheropy made by the healing garden at wallmart that knocks her out even with her skipping heart.
glaGb.
jon

Old 02-08-2005, 12:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the replies. I was pretty sure that I was doing the right thing but my biggest conern was the calcium. I take it about 4 hours after the Doxy so I'm pretty sure I'm okay with it. I have bumped up to 2 milk thistle to make sure the liver stays clean. By the way Ohio hunter, can you take that sleeping pill even when you are on the meds? My family doctor last year gave me a sleeping pill for almost 6 months and I slept real well until I found out it was a controlled substance and should only be taken for a few days. I'm surprised the insurance kept approving it. I quit cold turkey and had a few bad nights but I didn't want to be on something like that. Is the stuff your wife takes natural or just over the counter? By the way laurie I know about the ginger from an accupuncture gal I went to last year. I take the peppermint/oregano because of the diarrhea I was having after stopping the acidophilus too soon. It works pretty good and so far no problem with the Doxy maybe, because of it? The only thing I don't like is if you have a little air come up your throat you taste the combo - not so great. Thanks again for the input. And I will try after the labs to get the doctor to up the dosage. I am printing out some of the pages on symptoms and drugs and will send it to his pharmacist. She felt the dose was okay but she is my biggest advocate when it comes to the doc. She's also learning more about the Lyme than she ever knew before because I give her lots of info. She really appreciates it too. I just love her and the doc's nurse, great and caring people. The nurse told me the other day that some of their HIV patients feel so good because of their meds that half the time they have to change appointments because they forget to do their labs. She admitted that the HIV people feel better than me. That's really sad that they can help them but don't have a clue what to do for us. Gotta go, my husband just left for the airport to pick up our son and I have meatballs cooking! Have a great day.
betterdaysforme

Old 02-08-2005, 07:48 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

ohio hunter HB User

hi bdfm
this is a mist spray product, like an aroma theropy with camimeal i think. so it is natural and smells very pleasant. i wouldn't think it would interfear wth any meds.
jon

Old 02-09-2005, 04:08 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User

Sleeping through is sometimes a problems for me too. I had a prescription that lasted about a month and it was soooo good. It was a muscle relaxer and it just knocked me right out, but I think I liked it too much. I wish I had more, but I'm afraid I might really get addicted to it. With all the chemicals we already put into our bodies, I just think maybe it's a bad idea to add more.

Another thing I learned is that Tylenol PM, which is marketed as a sleep aid is actually the pain killer in tylenol plus an antihistimine that they found has the side effect of drowsiness. They don't explain that the product was originally used as an antihistime. You can get dry sinus and bloody noses if you use it too often. Yuck!

Melatonin with theanine works for me, as long as I don't have bad pain somewhere and the issue is just sleep.

Closed Thread