It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2005, 07:21 AM   #1

connidawn HB User
lyme and sleep apnea

Does anyone know if Lyme's disease can cause sleep apnea? Or does it just make it worse?

Old 02-08-2005, 07:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User
Re: lyme and sleep apnea

I have never heard of lyme actually causing sleep apnea, although I wouldn't be surprised about lyme causing just about anything. I do know that my sinuses and my ears feel better than they have in years since I started taking antibiotics. I had chronic sinus congestion and pain on one side and also fluid in the middle ear on the same side for years and years. I could make it go away by taking high doses of guifenesen (always the doctor's solution) but it never truly went away until I started treating lyme.

I only went to the doctor for it when I couldn't stand it anymore and they always gave me a temporary solution. Now I see that lyme was affecting me that way, but I only realized after starting lyme treatment.

The thing is, I have a deviated septum so I was predisposed to the problem and lyme being opportunistic, I think it just took advantage of that weak area. If I had to guess, I would say sleep apnea would be the same. Maybe you are predisposed to it because of something else and the lyme just exaggerates the problem.

Hope you get well soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 08:46 AM   #3

SpreadItAround HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by connidawn
Does anyone know if Lyme's disease can cause sleep apnea? Or does it just make it worse?
connidawn,

Like sleeperwoken said, Lyme seems to cause just about everything.

When my symptoms first started, I had a sleep study done. They found that I had 21 "arousals" an our but my oxygen levels were good enough that I did not have apnea in the clinical sense.

However, waking up 21 times an hour cannot be good for sleep or your health so I lost a lot of weight. I was never obese, I just went from 175lbs to close to 200lbs in six months when I was on Elavil, which increases your appetite.

I lost the 25 pounds and my sleep is much better.

Sorry for the tangent but to answer your question, if you're having sleep difficulties, I can't see Lyme not making them worse.

Old 02-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

Sorry Connidawn, nothing to share but I hope you find answers. cj

Old 02-20-2005, 12:47 PM   #5
(female)

Allie117 HB User

hey connidawn
i have sleeping problems to and though i have no proof the lyme disease has greatly effected my sleep.i was not sleeping at all and was always exhausted. i told my doctor and though i still have bad nights the med i am on has greatly helped my sleep. try asking your doctor or go online to see what other doctors have to say.if you have a good doctor, he will greatly help
allie117

Last edited by Allie117; 02-20-2005 at 12:48 PM.

Old 02-21-2005, 06:24 PM   #6
(male)

RCA 7591 HB User

What exactly do you mean by sleep apnea?

In my case, it always strikes at the same time (around 4:30 in the morning). All of a sudden I stop breathing, fly up out of bed, and gasp for air. I have had this, plus shortness of breath ever since contracting Lyme. Often, I wake up 20 or more times during the night unable to catch my breath.

I was prescribed Albuterol (rescue inhaler), but it does nothing. Breathing cold air seems to help somewhat.

I am not overweight, and do not have a history of sleep apnea. It only surfaced once I caught Lyme.

I would imagine that it is caused from the Lyme.

Best regards,

Ryan

Old 02-21-2005, 06:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

I'm not knowledgable on sleep apnea but I do know that my biological schedule has been askew for almost a year.

Sometimes I can't sleep, other times I over-sleep, daytime nap needed one day, the next day I have energy. No pattern, no rhyme or reason.

Frustrating and inexplicable. I wish for us all to return to a normal state of health.

Old 04-30-2005, 07:41 PM   #8
(male)

solarhotman HB User

Hi Connidawn,
I strongly suspect that I have Lyme disease but don't have a clinical diagnoses as of yet. I drive a lot for work and have a very hard time staying alert. I'm going to see a doctor and try a drug called provigil. Maybe it would help you? Lyme will mess up your sleep cycle I understand.

Old 05-14-2005, 10:22 AM   #9
(female)

Amber29 HB User

I had a sleep study done 2 1/2 years ago before I was diagnosed with Lymes, but I did have it at the time. I was trying to figure out why I was so exhausted. My study came back that I had 59 "respiratory effor arousals" on average every hour. No one could tell me what this was caused from. I didn't actually have any "obstructive sleep apnea". They put me on a CPAP which I was on for about 6 months, while I was pregnant. After I had my baby and lost some weight I could no longer tolerate the CPAP. But since I didn't have sleep apnea I'm not sure how much it was helping. I'm sure the extra oxygen I was getting at night helped but the important thing is to get to the root of why you are waking up. It could be something as simple as muscle or joing pain, which is very common with Lymes. I also clench my teeth at night, which my TMJ doctor said your body could do very naturally because it's trying to figure out how to heal itself? Anyway, I'm sorry I don't have a clear answer for you but just wanted to point out the the sleep "arousals" could be caused by a number of things and it doesn't necessarily mean that you have sleep apnea.

Closed Thread