It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2005, 01:30 PM   #1

sickinVT HB User
Red face muscle spasms and spasticity

Hello everyone...I posted about 2 weeks ago about my various symptoms. I am seeing a neurologist on Wednesday and a LLMD next Monday. I'm just curious, has anyone with lyme had muscle spasms and/or spasticity? I feel my body twitching, not so much that it impairs walking, but enough to notice it. Would really appreciate any insight. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: muscle spasms and spasticity

Hi sickinVT. I am glad you found a Lyme doctor. I hope your appointment goes well! Let us know.

Muscle twitching can be a Lyme symptom. I brought up the Lyme Disease Information post to the top of the board. It is mentioned on the symptom list there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

itsmylife HB User

This is a major symptom for me. In the eye lids and most recently (during treatment with cats claw) in my right thumb.

Old 02-28-2005, 05:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

laurie864bla HB User

Mark has these majorly at times. Calls them his "electricutions." Also gets bad aching w/out twitching in muscles. Definitely NOT joints when he shows me--muscles. Even when he is severe--he passed every single neuro exam until Dr. Jones.

Then he showed me the twitching when he had his hands out like Frankenstein and his eyes closed. Amazing really--it was all over the place.
Also has ear/hearing issues which are Lyme neuro stuff as well. Buzzing, distorted sounds, grossly amplified sounds and tinnitis.

Old 02-28-2005, 11:14 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

CFD 333 HB User

At one point early on in my illness I had problems with eyelids twitching and spasms in muscles of my bicep and thigh. After my courses of antibiotics, they went away and never returned again. Its kind of funny but I never even really noticed they were gone until I was reminded that I once had them. Some day, you will experience the same thing, I'm sure of it.

Old 03-01-2005, 05:46 AM   #6

sickinVT HB User

Thanks for the responses everyone. Have you experienced twitching as well? Kind of like a tic (no pun intended)? I'll have sudden movements of body parts, out of my control. Just wondering. Also, has anyone had an MRI done? I had a brain MRI and it was normal. Wondering if I should get a spinal cord MRI done to rule anything else out. Thanks for your advice.

Old 03-01-2005, 08:21 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear sickinVT,

I too have the twitching and mine is only in my legs. It completely went away when I was on the IV but has reared its ugly head now that I am on orals. It isn't nearly as bad as it was when I started meds. It happens ocassionally in the daytime around my ankle and just makes we want to move my foot. I'm okay at night but if I wake up that's when it starts. I have forgotten to take a calcium pill some days and I have finally decided it has something to do with that for me anyway. I don't know what the connection is but it seems to go away when I remeber to take the calcium and Vit D. Maybe it's the lack of dairy products? I'm 57 and need the calcium but with the other stuff I take some days I just don't work it in.
The twitching at night is the worst though because you have a hard enough time sleeping with lyme and this keeps you awake too. With meds it should start to fade.
betterdaysforme

Old 03-01-2005, 04:47 PM   #8
(female)

GomezNC HB User

I wonder if the twitching is anything like my startle reflex. My whole body are just limbs will twitch alot. I have not really had muscle spasms, but my muscles ache and hurt. Just more of this lovely disease.

Old 03-01-2005, 08:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

itsmylife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomezNC
I wonder if the twitching is anything like my startle reflex. My whole body are just limbs will twitch alot. I have not really had muscle spasms, but my muscles ache and hurt. Just more of this lovely disease.

Muscle spasm is a sign of Magnesium deficiency.
When you get in a hot bath of Epsom salts, as your body absorbs it, you'll really start to see a super spasm response.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:13 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by takemylife
Muscle spasm is a sign of Magnesium deficiency.
When you get in a hot bath of Epsom salts, as your body absorbs it, you'll really start to see a super spasm response.

Is this good or bad? And will it stop future spasms?
betterdaysforme

Old 03-02-2005, 09:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

itsmylife HB User

In the long run, I think it is a good thing. It seems like the body is trying to "recalibrate." It is absorbing the magnesium sulfate and then re-adjusting.

This is just one piece of the puzzle, but in my own case, it has provided a tremendous amount of relief- not only from spasms but many of the neurological symptoms as well.

Old 03-03-2005, 08:30 AM   #12

sickinVT HB User

Thanks for the advice...so take a bath in Epsom salts to reduce muscle spasms? Is there any kind of magnesium supplement to take for the deficiency?

Old 03-03-2005, 08:52 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

Reading this thread and found the info about response salt baths interesting - the body's recalibration with increased spasms.

Muscle twitching is not one of my symptoms but I related to Gomez' post - at times I have a heightened 'startle' response but I think it has always been in the context of noise. But my 'body' actually responds, like when the doc hits your knee with hammer. Now I'm wondering if that is true - if it is in relationship to noises... I'll have to pay attention. It feels pretty awkward in public places to jump for no apparent reason.

Until Gomez brought it up in this thread, I would never have thought of it in the same vein with other symptoms discussed here.. and actually, haven't even listed it as one of my symptoms. One of those strange things that happens 'behind the scenes'. I just tried to 'think about when they occur' and my body memory is of a shoulder shrugging. I think that's the main reflex I get is in the upper body - upper arms/shoulders, neck, head.

And NOW I remember when llmd tested me that my reflexes were ridiculously sensitive. my knee flew when she tapped it...

Wonder if others are with Gomez and I?? Gomez, 'startle response' is a great term for what I'm experiecing. Is what I've described sound like more of what you experience or different??
cj

Old 03-04-2005, 05:20 AM   #14

SuzU HB User

I can SOOOO relate to the heightened startle response you guys are describing. I thought it was just heightened anxiety because of all my crazy symptoms that have yet to be diagnosed. (Actually I have one homeopath treating me who believes I have lyme, plus a llmd in NJ who is treating me even though my Igenex labs were negative.)
But it happens even when I'm not anxious.
Like, I'll be sitting at my desk typing, and suddenly if I move my feet a certain way, the upper back part of my thighs jump. Or else when I'm typing, my hands and arms will feel jumpy and jittery.
Half the time I feel like I'm literally going to jump out of my own skin.
Can anyone relate?

Closed Thread