It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2005, 04:17 AM   #1
(female)

lynnp HB User
Flagyl users--What is your dosage?

I was wondering if those who are on Flagyl can share with me a little regarding dosage, effectiveness, side effects, and how long you have been on it. I have been reading articles about the effectiveness of Flagyl for chronic Lyme.

Old 05-19-2005, 12:04 PM   #2
(female)

raleigh86 HB User
Re: Flagyl users--What is your dosage?

I'm on 500 mg twice daily of Flagyl. Each time I take it gets better. The first round of Flagyl, I was also taking Levaquin. I had a hard time on Levaquin and harder time taking Flagyl with it.

I just spoke to my doctor's office. She said if you get 3 days of Flagyl, that's good. I usually can stick it out for the 5 days. I have learned to start out with 1/2 pill twice a day on the first day. Then I don't seem to have a problem the remaining 4 days taking it.

Hope this helps.

Raleigh86

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2005, 12:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User

Me too, 500 mg twice a day. I take it for one week, then break for a week. I take other abx constantly, but pulse the flagyl. My temperature is closer to normal on the flagyl week. It drops considerably on the off week.

Old 05-19-2005, 12:29 PM   #4
(female)

raleigh86 HB User

Sleeperwoken:

I only take Flagyl 5 days a month. I wonder if this will change and I'll take it more often?

Raleigh86

Old 05-19-2005, 01:29 PM   #5
(female)

lynnp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleigh86
I'm on 500 mg twice daily of Flagyl. Each time I take it gets better. The first round of Flagyl, I was also taking Levaquin. I had a hard time on Levaquin and harder time taking Flagyl with it.

I just spoke to my doctor's office. She said if you get 3 days of Flagyl, that's good. I usually can stick it out for the 5 days. I have learned to start out with 1/2 pill twice a day on the first day. Then I don't seem to have a problem the remaining 4 days taking it.

Hope this helps.

Raleigh86
What do you mean by stick it out and that you had a hard time with it. What symptoms does it give you?

Old 05-20-2005, 03:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User

The first time I took flagyl, my I felt like my body was extremely run down and I had a serious depression. I could not get out of it. Someone told me to increase my B12 and that seemed to help quite a bit. Now I take flagyl with no problems but it took a while for my body to be able to handle the dose. I increased slowly.

Old 05-20-2005, 03:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User

I'm in my 2nd week of Flagyl treatment. My dosage is 250mg 3 times a day for 30 days. I am also taking Zithromax 500mg every other day for a month. I am feeling really bizarre. Yesterday I got really sick as I hopped into a hot car and drove to the dr. I started getting really dizzy and confused. I fell off the scale at the doctor's when the nurse went to weigh me. By the time I saw my dr I was sweating profusely despite air conditioning and could not think to tell the dr half the things I needed to and had trouble forming words. I am assuming the Flagyl is causing this from getting an overload of neurotoxins dumped into my system. The Flagyl makes me feel weird in the stomach, very nauseated and not wanting to eat much. If I do force myself to eat a big meal then I feel like I am going to vomit. My friend who is on Levaquin and Flagyl has the same nauseated feeling. Another thing my sweat smells really strange since starting the Flagyl. The night sweats which were cyclic in the past are now every night and very intense since starting the Flagyl. I suspect I have Babesiosis but haven't been tested for it yet. Anyone know if Babs is affected by the drug?

PS: I just found out not to use anything containing alcohol when using Flagyl. I just thought that meant drinking it. But a friend who is a D.O. informed me that it also includes alcohol in any cosmetics and mouthwashes, etc. That means liquid Samento is out of the question while using Flagyl.

Old 05-23-2005, 08:56 PM   #8
(female)

Exdancer HB User

I'm on 500mg of flagyl twice a day for 5 days every month while pulsing other meds also and I havent really had a problem with the meds besides feeling a little mroe rundown then usual, Angela, any idea why you can't use anything with alcohol while on it? I mean if you're not swallowing it i didn't think it would hurt anything. I'd be curious to know why, TIA!

Old 05-23-2005, 09:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User

Exdancer -Its something called "antibus" reaction if my Lyme brain remembers correctly. Even alcohol absorbed through the skin or muscous membranes will react with Flagyl. An osteopath told me this and it was the first thing out of her mouth when I said I was taking Flagyl and feeling weird. BTW- There first few days of Flagyl was no biggie. The weird things started happening around day 7. The sweats are the worse, 3 times as bad as they were before and weird dreams, weird feelings in my thigh this morning and a few days ago I swear it felt like something biting me from the inside out. I let out a yelp it hurt so bad and looked to see if there was a bug on me, but did not see anything.

Old 05-24-2005, 04:14 AM   #10
(female)

GomezNC HB User

I take Flagyl 500 mg twice a day, but only 3 days a month. I am taking it with Levaquin and the combo makes me really sick. They stopped the Flagyl for a while and now I am back on it. I took it yesterday and was sick in the bathroom all day. I can't stand the stuff! I can really tell a difference on the days I dont take it. I don't feel near as bad.

Old 05-24-2005, 08:47 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaA
Exdancer -Its something called "antibus" reaction if my Lyme brain remembers correctly. Even alcohol absorbed through the skin or muscous membranes will react with Flagyl. An osteopath told me this and it was the first thing out of her mouth when I said I was taking Flagyl and feeling weird. BTW- There first few days of Flagyl was no biggie. The weird things started happening around day 7. The sweats are the worse, 3 times as bad as they were before and weird dreams, weird feelings in my thigh this morning and a few days ago I swear it felt like something biting me from the inside out. I let out a yelp it hurt so bad and looked to see if there was a bug on me, but did not see anything.
Hey Angela,
I know what you are talking about. I don't take flagyl but the other day I was doing a foot bath and after about 15 minutes I swore the cord had to have gotten into the water. About 2 inches from my toes on the left foot I got what felt like an electrical shock. Very weird sensation. Hope it was the critters trying to bite back because I was ticking them off and evicting them from their comfortable quarters.
betterdaysforme

Old 05-24-2005, 04:10 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User

Betterdays- Was that a hot water foot bath? The spirochettes don't like it hot, you may have really angered them!

Old 05-24-2005, 04:14 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User

It seems every is on low doses of Flagyl, it makes me wonder why I am having to take 750mg for 30 days. I am just miserable on this stuff.

Old 05-24-2005, 07:18 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaA
Betterdays- Was that a hot water foot bath? The spirochettes don't like it hot, you may have really angered them!
Hey Angela,

Yep, it was as hot as I could get it. I am really trying to get them moving. When I'm too down for a full bath I figure this is better than nothing. Maybe that is why my rear end is dragging today. They're trying to get back at me.
I will keep it up though. I'm 100% Irish and maybe even more stubborn than them.
betterdaysforme

Old 05-24-2005, 07:35 PM   #15
(female)

lynnp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betterdaysforme
Hey Angela,
I know what you are talking about. I don't take flagyl but the other day I was doing a foot bath and after about 15 minutes I swore the cord had to have gotten into the water. About 2 inches from my toes on the left foot I got what felt like an electrical shock. Very weird sensation. Hope it was the critters trying to bite back because I was ticking them off and evicting them from their comfortable quarters.
betterdaysforme
What do the hot foot baths do and are they just hot water or do you add anything to it?

Closed Thread