It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2005, 11:05 AM   #1
Inactive

deejavu HB User
Question PMS, Periods and Lyme

Hi all,

This is quite embarassing for me but I have been wondering about this for a long time.

Before I get my period, I have always got the "normal" PMS symptoms, but lately my symptoms are different as I feel more run down, weaker than normal (which is really weak), and I wonder what is going on inside my body because of my lyme bacterias and if there is a connection????

If anyone could shed any light on this subject, I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Denise

Old 05-28-2005, 02:33 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

gottagetbetter HB User
Re: PMS, Periods and Lyme

Deejavu ,

You are not imagining things at all!! I totally can relate. I am totally washed out that week b4 my cycle. If I am going to get sick it is that week. My symptoms are worse ten fold during that week. My LLMD says it is because lyme totally screws up our hormones.

NCgirl and I have discussed this and wonder it if if this isn't the reason women seem to be sicker with lyme then men. Just a thought???

~P

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2005, 08:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User

Hi Denise -

I am extremely interested in this correlation. There is a definite issue here. I got up and asked one of the doctors at the Reston Conference last weekend what the deal is with the hormonal component to this disease...don't be embarrassed about posting about it - I got up in front of 450 people and talked about my period

Anyway, I asked the doctor - Do you think that the spirochetes are more active during this time because it is well documented that a woman's immune system ramps down this time of the month...as well I asked him if the reason I have made so much headway in the last 2 months of treatment is because my flagyl round was the week of my period...he said my postulation was very interesting but that he had no answers for me...

I waited for the second day of the conference because Dr. Kenneth Boch was supposed to talk about the hormonal dependence of lyme...but he ran out of time ;( I think there is a big correlation here...

Old 05-29-2005, 12:06 PM   #4
Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi Gottagetbetter and Ncgirl,

Now I am glad I posted about this topic and I also think there is a connection between a female's cycle and Spirochetes. The week before I got my period, I could hardly do anything, my leg pains came back and I really had to push myself to get anything simple accomplished. Once my period arrived, I felt better and had more energy even with the cramps.

It does make sense that when a women's cycle is about to arrive, the body is weakened giving those spirochetes more power.

Ncgirl, you have guts to ask that question in front of all those people, even though I consider myself a bold person, I do get shy about certain topics like this one. Good for you!!

Gottagetbetter, maybe women do get more sick from Lyme because of these hormonal balances or imbalances?? I thought men go through cycles too every month (I thought I read that a long time ago), but I could be wrong so I don't know what to think about men, women, and Lyme. Hmmmmmm.....

Denise

Last edited by deejavu; 05-29-2005 at 12:08 PM.

Old 05-29-2005, 12:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Hey guys,

I don't think it is just when your are going to get your period. My homeopathic has been telling me for almost 2 years that my hormones are really screwed up. I am beyond the period thing and never had hot flashes or any of the normal conditions for pre or post menopause. All I know is that the hormones are a mess according to the doc. What's interesting though is that after 2 1/2 weeks of saventaro and a month on the colloidal silver my right ovary is sore, really sore. I wonder if this means it is clearing some spirochettes up around there? Honestly I never ever had period or menopause problems until now. I guess with the guys it's the heart thing and with us it hits us where it counts.
betterdaysforme

Old 05-29-2005, 02:24 PM   #6
(female)

lynnp HB User

I md said:

Immune system down = Spirochetes up

Immune system up = Spirochetes down

She said that the week before your period your immune sytem is definately down and she said that is why women are more apt to get cold sores during that time.

She suggested taking echinacea the week before and the week during your period every month and no echinacea the other two weeks (echinacea is not something that you can take a ll the time without giving your body breaks).

I'm sure that they mess up our hormones as well. Let's face it: it doesn't take much to mess with our hormones!

Old 06-07-2005, 11:30 PM   #7
(female)

kmay HB User

My doctor has explained to me that the hormonal problem we are experiencing is basically a chain reaction. I will do my best to relate it as it was conveyed to me,please forgive if I miss a step. He said our bodys response to chronic pain is to make more of the hormone cortisol....cortisol is very bad in many ways( they call it the "fat hormone"). When your cortisol levels stay elevated for a long time it fatigues the adrenal glands and they in turn cause your hormones to go wacky, or wackier in my case....he further stated that you cannot get your hormones in check until you make sure the adrenals are functioning normally. I was bleeding every 2-3 days for a while and then next to nothing the next couple months. THought I was menopausal, but turns out I had a cyst on my ovary and mild endometriosis-partially due to LD. My MD has used the onion analogy in that you must start with the most serious problem and address each layer until you move on to the next. Not sure if that says anything about the intensity of the pain around period time other than hormones that are already out of whack just get wackier at certain times of the month. How's that for some medical jargon? wacky -meaning "unbalanced"...LOL

Old 06-17-2005, 03:10 AM   #8
(female)

RobynsInPain70 HB User

I can tell you there definately is a connection between this and your period..being sick myself with Lyme and coinfection the last 14+ years I can tell you I get HORRIBLY sick with my period.. I start about the week before and by the time it gets here I am floored with weakness, fatigue, dizziness, nausea and I am in bed for atleast 3 days before I can start getting on my feet again. I also, usually run a secondary infection right after each period.. Sinus, throat, etc.. This will go on for maybe 6mos to 1 yr then it will stop for a few months and then start all over again...This month my period was 12 days late which I have NEVER Been late before in my life and Im 35 and right now Im sitting here with the worst sinus pain in my life ontop of being so weak I can barely walk all from my period. I spend many times in prayer asking God to help me but when I have my period? I pray all day and night because I feel like I'm going to die for the first few days....Please don't feel alone in this because you're so not..
hugs
Robyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betterdaysforme
Hey guys,

I don't think it is just when your are going to get your period. My homeopathic has been telling me for almost 2 years that my hormones are really screwed up. I am beyond the period thing and never had hot flashes or any of the normal conditions for pre or post menopause. All I know is that the hormones are a mess according to the doc. What's interesting though is that after 2 1/2 weeks of saventaro and a month on the colloidal silver my right ovary is sore, really sore. I wonder if this means it is clearing some spirochettes up around there? Honestly I never ever had period or menopause problems until now. I guess with the guys it's the heart thing and with us it hits us where it counts.
betterdaysforme

Old 06-17-2005, 07:07 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

DIDN'T START OUT THIS WAY... but this is a crazy post...
and if this doesn't flow at all, sorry... i'd say, 'you'd had to of been there' but NO...

my correlation/reflection on this subject: 47 years old, regular menses until lyme symptoms hit in fall. then thyroid was thrown into disease and I was have a period, then skipping two months - did that two cycles until put on thyroid med. Now I've had two 'regular' cycles on meds.

last week on period i noticed that my neuro symptoms were highly exagerated.. and i had the worst mental meltdown that i've had in years in that it was in a relationship and and I could not seem to control my emotions. i am bipolar (okay, cyclothemia actually; a downgraded version - yeah!) and i acted like a raving lunatic. i've been dealing with much since that day as the problem was with my mother-in-law. at the time, i really didn't see hope but if god has EVER worked a miracle, he has done so in my heart. Anywhere, still struggling a bit with residual shame, etc. but the point being, that week before my period was/is hell emotionally, neurologically, etc.

You know, I've haven't spelled out conflict to anyone but this is as safe a place as anywhere... i'd made to requests that pertained to m-i-l 's driving because my neuro symptoms were flying off the wall. first, i'd very nicely (hated to ask) noted that her gas acceleration was in contant change and if she could try to steady it'd be great...

(that was on the way TO doc)

on the way back... i asked her to try to hold wheel more steady. she's always had a habit of holding it and doing this very slight, constant 'left/right' jig that'll drive anyone crazy but that seriously, my body could not control it's reactions to... i was having jerks, and dizzy as crap, etc. and all that was more than i could handle (i thought) without trying to fix in the physical world. well... within minutes (my perception), I was asking her to 'please just not talk to me' and she was saying that 'you're not being honest, you're being controlling'...

She wouldn't stop talking at me although I was asking her to... I was so on sensory overload and thought I was going to explode... I asked her to pull over and let me out of car (3 hours away from home.. then demanded it) this was after I called my husband and asked him to ask her to stop talking to me... she said she wouldn't talk to him because whe wasn't a child.
when she finally pulled car over she told me to just shut up, that she would drive me without talking.. that she hadn't seen me 'act this way'... in a long time. (comment killed me)

I isolated the rest of the way home in a crazy place and truly felt helpless..no god, no hope, felt like a stupid little victim.

If i could rewind this tape and do-over would I? man... after about two of the loneliness, most maddening wrestling days with my emotions and thoughts god did get a hold of me and in the last 10 days i'm having some breakthroughs in healing that i didn't even know were possible. It is wild to me how dark stuff can be used and redeemed... i'm walking pretty skitsy in the world as so much is new and this new trust and loss of some old coping mechanisms that i'm wearing is pretty scary... so much safer to be protected by 'self' just obviously not always very effective nor functional... i could usually avoid hurt 'my way' but others paid. now i'm having to learn to trust god more and that means 'i'm not in control - ouch/scary/i may get hurt more often!!' yikes!!!

wow... from pms, periods to this diatribe... it all relates, i know too well. and i/we have to learn to live with all of it, huh? the hormones, past hurts... rather sucks but just is.

what i didn't say above... is that on the way down to doc, we'd also discussed old wounding of incest and m-i-l had surprisingly taken up an angle of protecting a family member (not perp) that blew my mind and threw me back to childhood... she has been one of my constants over the years as far as knowing pretty much my entire story, being an awesome confidant, etc. and to hear her counseling me to in this way just set me off... we worked thru that on the way to doc's office but it helps set the stage to the above mess to share that with yall. we were both pretty raw.

also, don't read too much into what i just shared because there isn't enough there for you get a handle on and without doubt, my responses were 'not rationale/healthy' responses. Feelings were valid but where i went with them in my mind were wack... plain and simple. she knew i was shut down and asked me to relate and we talked it out...

i've since emailed request for forgiveness, responsibility for hurting her etc. we will see if/when relationship is redeemed... no response thus far.

i hope this is appropriate to post here... i am grateful (i think) to be able to post it HERE. i've been very reluctant to share much because it was such a mess, don't want to drag down m-i-l in my trying to work out my stuff and simply, leftover shame at this point... but god is big enough to clean that up and i'm sure willing to let him have it..

hope this helps someone else atleast... shame sucks... (months ago i posted about the movie, the wedding singer where adam sandler sings, 'LOVE STINKS'.. cracks me up! well, so does shame... SHAME STINKS! so, cj... let go of it!

okay, cj

if you're a prayer, pray for my m-i-l

Last edited by cjFTWORTH; 06-17-2005 at 07:12 AM.

Old 06-26-2005, 05:12 AM   #10
Veteran

ciconner HB User

CJ, I'm right there with you. My m-i-l was here to "help" while my husband was recovering from surgery. She could do nothing right. I kept wondering if I was being so touchy because of the lyme. I don't know. I am soooo irritable. Everything got on my nerves and I mean EVERYTHING. If she asked if I had any tuna fish, it got on my nerves. If she wanted to go to A&P with me I got mad. She's a very sweet person, but I guess her trying to "help" just turned out to be an extra person I felt I had to be sure was comfortable.

Anyway, I've been complaining about exaggerated PMS and symptoms during my period. My last period I woke up on morning with a headache that had me vomiting until late afternoon. I never had problems like that before lyme. Nervousness and irritabililty have always been a problem a few days before. Lyme just seems to make everything worse.

Old 06-26-2005, 05:25 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

ciconner,
thanks for replying...
good to not be alone.

i am so sooo... sorry about your migraine day over the toilet... man!

and i do so relate to your post...

as an update to my fiasco... we have seen each other several times as i've been doing some misc. work for some of the elderly ladies in the buiding she lives in. all i can say is god is a god of grace. i truly didn't know how we'd get past this one.

and in the process, even with the added garbage of lyme, i've learned much more about me, about god, and trust... so as rotten of a deal as it was, i don't regret it.

have a GREAT day! cj

Closed Thread