It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2005, 07:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User
Vision changes?

Hi,

Has anyone noticed their vision deteriorating after they contracted Lyme?

I've needed stronger glasses lately in the past two years, and it seems like my vision deteriorated at a much faster rate during this time. I had thought my lens rx had stablized up until then.

My optometrist said it was from being at a computer screen or doing up-close work and I figured that's what it was (this is all before I knew anything about Lyme). But I thought it somewhat odd, since I don't do that much up-close stuff (no needlework, reading lots of fine print, etc.), certainly no more than I always did.

Since starting abx, I've begun to see a lot more floaters and occasionally something which looks like a black spot rushing past me. I thought one was a big bug flying around but no one else saw it and I realized it was just some kind of optical effect.

I've heard of Lyme affecting peoples vision. Has anyone else experienced this and if it is Lyme related do you know if vision could improve after treatment?

Old 06-01-2005, 10:12 PM   #2
(male)

RCA 7591 HB User
Re: Vision changes?

Yes indeed, Lyme can have an adverse effect on vision.

I am legally blind in the left eye (eye went from a perfect 20 to blind within 6 months). Occasionally, it will return momentarily. The right eye has not been affected other than light sensitivity. Eye doctor could visibly see inflammation in the affected eye.

Dcotors state that my left eye is "good", even though I can't see out of it. Stupid doctors.

Could vision return with treatment? Probably (if the inflammation were reduced).

As a side note, I have positive ANA and RF with excessive inflammation. It is not Lupus or any other autoimmune disease. I tested + for B.Burgdorferi (Lyme).

Some anti-malarials like Plaquenil can affect vision as well.

-Ryan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2005, 03:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

dealer1111 HB User

My vission went completely crazy, even suffering bouts of temparary blindness. For a 2-years I had many vission related problems from blurry to strange vission. But I have to say 2-years of antibiotics has cleared up my vission problems.

Good luck

Old 06-02-2005, 04:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User

I have got tons of floaters, dry eyes, thin retina and an enlarged optic nerve. All without explanation. They check me for all kinds of things when I go in (glaucoma, etc.) and they even photograph my eye because they are so amazed by the troubles. Then they say they can't find the cause and off I go till the next year when they put me through it all over again.

My next eye exam is the end of this month--the first exam since a year of abx. I am curious to see what they find. I hope things are a little better, I'll let you know.

Old 06-03-2005, 01:30 PM   #5

Cuteheart HB User

My husband has had tons of vision problems. At first, they thought it was all related to Diabetes. He also has glaucoma. He is being treated for both and they are under control, but his vision is still not improving. With those in addition to Lyme, we're just thankful he can see at all. His new glasses are pretty thick and he's hoping to be able to have a lower prescription someday.
I will be sitting on the couch at night and I will see something black out of the corner of my eye. Sometimes it moves, and I will turn to see if one of my boys has gotten out of bed, but there's nothing there. Weird, I know!
God Bless.

Old 06-03-2005, 02:38 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User

I see spots, auras and feel like there is an eyelash in my eye, but then there never is when I look for it. I've also had my eyes just ache. My focus goes in and out. I'm also very sensitive to light and wear sunglasses to drive on cloudy days. I'm seeing spots more after being on abx. My friend swears since starting Levaquin she can look up at the bright sky and see spiral shaped forms (spirochetes?) moving around.

Old 06-03-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi all,

A very long time ago I went blind in my left eye (my retina died). For 2 years the doctors tried to figure out what caused my blindness and they couldn't.

Now I am thinking that I have been around ticks since I was a little girl as I have always lived in a tick-infested area (Long Island). I wonder if there is any connection between my blind eye and Lyme? Make me wonder.........

Denise

Old 06-03-2005, 05:40 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

I have a reallly weird vision problem that drives me nuts!

When I am in motion, my entire field of vision moves along with my head. Everything is in focus, but it jiggles like a home made movie.

Has anyone ever seen a neuropthamologist?

What is a floater? What is an aura?

Old 06-03-2005, 06:37 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

outinthe_woods HB User

Yes, vision changes with Lyme here too........auras, floaters, need to "clean out" my eye, but nothing there, visuals not cloudy really, but something like looking underwater....ughhhh

Old 06-03-2005, 06:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User

6Blues- Floaters are tiny spots of protein you can sometimes see in your field of vision. The easiest way I know to detect them is flip your outside house lights on when it is black dark outside then go outside and look at the light. Or probably a bright flashlight in dark room would do the same. "Normal" folks have floaters to, its just that Lyme seems to cause excessive amounts of floaters. I see floaters and then also spots of white light which are different. The spots are neurological in origin and may be related to migraines and seizures. Auras are halos of light on the edges of your field of vision. Mostly I see white-yellow lights but occasional have multi-color auras.

I've never even heard of a neuropthamologist, but I know there's not one in this town. I told the only neurologist in this town I was seeing lights and dizzy and she said that was normal. Yeah right!

Old 06-04-2005, 05:06 AM   #11
Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi all,

I thought floaters was something I had when I didn't remove my eye makeup, now I know better.

Thanks for explaining this to me.

Denise

Old 06-05-2005, 06:52 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User

I have had and am still having all of the above...It drives me nuts!

NCgirl88

Old 06-05-2005, 04:43 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User

All of the vision symptoms seem worse now that I am being treated. Anyone else getting migraines? I get the visual disturbances more when I have a headache.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:33 AM   #14
(male)

trust1 HB User

Curious to see how your last eye exam went after a year of anti-biotics? I had an swollen optic nerve as well and after 6 months of antibiotics it went back to normal.....how about you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperwoken
I have got tons of floaters, dry eyes, thin retina and an enlarged optic nerve. All without explanation. They check me for all kinds of things when I go in (glaucoma, etc.) and they even photograph my eye because they are so amazed by the troubles. Then they say they can't find the cause and off I go till the next year when they put me through it all over again.

My next eye exam is the end of this month--the first exam since a year of abx. I am curious to see what they find. I hope things are a little better, I'll let you know.

Old 11-10-2005, 11:59 AM   #15
(female)

dianneom HB User

Eric Singman, MD,PhD is a LLNeuro-Ophthalmologist in Lancaster PA. I've seen him and liked him alot.

Closed Thread