It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2005, 06:02 PM   #1
(female)

emma1980 HB User
Lyme and weight gain

I was wondering if anyone has experienced significant weight gain since being infected with Lyme? Any tips for losing the pounds?

Old 06-16-2005, 06:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Lyme and weight gain

Hi emma1980, welcome to the board!

Are you currently being treated? Many people who have Lyme gain weight. It can be difficult to lose The best thing to do is to eat a healthy diet and drink lots of water. Exercise, even minimally, if you are able.

If you cannot lose weight at this time, please do not worry. It is more important to eat healthy foods that will help your immune system. The weight will come off as you get better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2005, 06:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi emma1980.

This is a sore subject with me. I sure gained weight -50 awful pounds! I can't even recognize myself in the mirror.

I used to be a Type-a supergirl who went non-stop from morning till night. I even had a second job as a ballroom dance instructor. I was pretty fit and I felt good about myself.

When I got really sick last summer, the weight came on so fast - I couldn't believe it!

Although my nutrition made a 180 degree turn for the better since I educated myself about Lyme disease, I've only lost 15 of the 50 I gained. I still get upset and depressed about it (not fitting into any clothes, not feeling healthy). I can't excersise like I used to - some days I can't even walk the dog.

My thyroid levels were checked and the doc said they were normal.

I pray that the weight will come off when I get better. I just don't feel like my old self.

Have you gained a lot? Do you eat healthy? Can you excersise at all?

Old 06-16-2005, 07:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

outinthe_woods HB User

About 60 extra pounds here since Lyme....On Thyroid med. too.

I too was super active all my life but those days are gone...

Old 06-17-2005, 05:28 AM   #5
(female)

GomezNC HB User

Oh it is so nice to hear I am not the only one going through this. I have gained about 30lbs. It is so aggrivating, before I got sick I was in the best shape of my life and looked the best. But now I just feel like a fat slob. And I feel like that is what my husband sees me as too!

Old 06-17-2005, 06:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Hey emma,

I too gained about 35 extra pounds after getting lyme. Of course I didn't know it was lyme for about 4 years so just figured it was blood pressure medicine I was on at the time. When I look back at pictures of me with the extra weight I just cringe. I knew I had gained but not to the extent the Christmas photos showed. Then my daughter's engagement broke up and was very nasty. In a week I lost 30 lbs and ended up in the emergency room for dehydration. Of course the prescription given was for effexor, what else would it be? Honestly I wasn't depressed, I was angry. We ended up having the police here in the middle of the night because of the fiance and he called here about 50 times and the cop finally got on the phone and told him if he showed up here and didn't quit calling he would have the sheriff arrest him. When the police left he came and vandalized my daughter's new car that we parked in a neighbor's driveway so it wouldn't be in ours. Why is it doctors want to hand out anti depressants like candy? I took one pill and was climbing the walls and threw the rest away. I have only gained back 5 lbs and weigh in at a whopping 128. I honestly wish I could put on about 5 more lbs because I think I would feel better. I have always been too slender and actually had more curves in the beginning of the weight gain. My husband didn't necessarily like all the weight gain but liked the fact that I now had boobs.
I kept trying to tell him it was the same fat that was in my butt but he didn't care. The location was different! I sure don't recommend losing that much weight that quickly to anybody.

As long as we are talking about body changes, has anybody noticed their hair really is a problem now? When I was growing up a friend of my older sister's was in hair dresser training and she always used me as her model. I had great full really thick shiny hair. A lot has fallen out since lyme and the texture is really bad. Thank God I started out with so much because it is still fairly thick except on the top. But I swear it always looks and feels as though I didn't get all the shampoo or conditioner out. I could wash it 3 times a day and still hate the looks of it. I always had long wavy hair and now I cut it almost like a bowl cut above my shoulders because my arms get too tired to even use the curling iron on it. I just feel like a hag sometimes. God only knows what my husband thinks. He never has complained, don't know why. He even colors it for me because my arms get too tired to do it myself .

Enough complaining. Hope you all have a great weekend. I know you will laurie.

betterdaysforme

Old 06-17-2005, 07:19 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

gottagetbetter HB User

Hi guys!!

Well, I have had the opposite problem. I keep losing. Have gone froma size "9/10" to a size "0".

I actually had to by in the little girls section.

I eat really good foods and eat often but it just goes right through me.

I had my measurements done this pack week and I am now losing muscle.

~P

Old 06-17-2005, 06:45 PM   #8
(female)

Exdancer HB User

Also dealing weight gain here As an 18 year old and allready being insecure this sure doesn't help! It is comforting to hear Im not alone! I started gaining when when I was at my most active and eating the most healthy, but then when you start gaining weight like that I kinda gave up trying to eat healthy for a while! And of course to tired to exersise! I'm bnow working on portion control and cutting back on sugars, plus I'm lifting weights and swimming, but I haven't lost any weight! Any ideas? And is there hope for the pounds to come back off during and after treatment? TIA!

Old 06-17-2005, 09:33 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

outinthe_woods HB User
Unhappy Re: Lyme and weight gain

Hey, GGB!

Are you getting enough fiber ?? Just wondering because it doesn't sound like you have enough "bulk" perhaps. Maybe a web search for nutrition info will be able to help...Losing muscle is sure not a good sign, as I'm certain you already know...

Please look into it, as it can drain your energy and health so badly! I'll check in the Lyme books I have and get back to you, if you don't mind...

Gerri

Old 06-18-2005, 06:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Hey guys,

This thread is interesting to me because of the leg weakness and you all keep talking about losing muscle. I can't say for sure that I am "losing" muscle or they are just a mess. I really feel that I sit way to much and I know that is part of the problem but can't be helped unless my husbnd wants to tie me to something upright.

My legs are like real flabby where muscles used to be so I was just wondering if this is what you are talking about. I often feel as though they have become a problem because I cannot stand up or get out of bed without stretching like a dog does or I won't be able to walk halfway right. This is also in my back and arms too. I just always have the urge to be stretching. Kind of weird.

What do you do to build this up if this is a problem? I can't do much exercise wise but am hoping to get in the pool this weekend and do some real kicking type laps even though I will have to use a float across my chest so I don't sink. At least maybe that will help the legs.

Thanks,
betterddaysforme

Old 06-18-2005, 11:59 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

outinthe_woods HB User

Hi, again, BetterDays!

I'm with you on the inability to exercise and I know my doc is really going to push it again when I go for my checkup on Tuesday...

One of the things that has helped me all along to feel that at least I'm doing something is when I sit, I make believe I'm walking, (right toes down, left toes up, then left toes down, right toes up). It doesn't sound like much but it's surprising how much it helps and after all these years, my leg muscle tone is really not so bad.

For my arms, I take two cans of Campbell's Soup (LOL - brand doesn't matter but that size works well - not too heavy) and do lifts with arms straight up, straightout in front, straight out to the sides. It's easy to keep the cans (or whatever you use) in a small covered basket so you don't feel as if they're always staring you in the face....

Doing these at the beginning of my really bad time years ago, was unbelievably exhausting, but I didn't expect a lot and little by little, it became easier - it even affects my breathing, so I guess I'm getting a minor cardiac workout too!

Old 06-18-2005, 12:20 PM   #12
(female)

dallasmommy HB User

I have also gained weight(25 lbs) even though my nutrition is better now than it ever has been. I just started Yoga and it really helps. I obvious can't do it all, but my instructor is really great and emphasizes listening to your body. Not so great for weight loss, but keeps my muscles from atrophying any more. I also just walk. Sometimes you don't think you can do it, but you really can if you try.

Old 06-18-2005, 12:40 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Hey gerribear,

Thanks for the tips. I have done the soup can thing with my arms and I guess I need to go back to it. I swear I have had the cans sitting on the coffee table for 2 months now. The basket is a good idea.

I'm sure I can do the toe up & down thing. My problem is lifting the right leg much off the floor. That is why I am always stumbling. It's really irritating too because I did not have one thing wrong with my right side until those massive steroids were poured into my body. It's as though the bacteria morphed from it.

Thanks,
BDFM

Old 06-18-2005, 02:53 PM   #14
(female)

sorrel2 HB User

Sorry to butt in on the conversation here, but can someone explain how Lyme causes weight gain??? Is it from becoming less active, or is there some specific effect on metabolism or water balance? Thanks...

Old 06-18-2005, 06:11 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

outinthe_woods HB User

Hey, Betterday!

My right leg and foot are a "drag" too. I have to go back to the neurologist sometime (not a priority to me right now) and see what he says. My right arm is (something I can't remember the term for that he gave me) weak and has no jerk reactions so I can sympathize.....

From my physical therapy days, I used one of those big balloons that was cut into a strip, put some books on one end of it on the floor (tied the one long strip in a knot to make a circle) and put my ankle in the other end of the loop and stretched it up.....maybe that'd help a little???

We can do a long distance stretching class! LOL

Closed Thread