It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2005, 07:46 PM   #1
(female)

Exdancer HB User
Thumbs down Anybody else have excessive bad dreams?

I have been having irregular sleep lately so I have been taking melatonin which I think is what causes me to have freaky dreams but then I have crazy dreams when Im not taking it also. Anyways I on occasion have this weird night experiences where Im not sure if Im awake or asleep. I had one where I was *dreaming* about a snake and when I woke up I was jumping up and down on the person whome i was sharing the room withs bed screaming about it. And then a couple nights ago I *woke* up positive I saw something moving under my bath robe and ended up flinging my sheets completely off my bed and leaving my room and actually being scared to go back in!!! I'm not a kid anymore I don't know whats going on with these nighttime issues! I don't think they're normal though! I just done know if its the lyme disease or if its the antibiotics or supplements. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks for reading if you made it this far!!

Old 06-25-2005, 09:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User
Re: Anybody else have excessive bad dreams?

Hi exdancer....just wanted to put my 2 cents in. I won't say that your dreams could be heightened by the meds/supps or even the melatonin. But I will say for me, before going on melatonin (which I have been on for almost 3 weeks now) I had just as vidid and scary/strange dreams as you are explaining, and the dreams continue for me even on the melatonin. I think for me and my dreams/nightmares it is a combo of pain induced, stress induced, and insomnia induced - just another fun part of lyme. Good luck and if you discover whats acausing yours let us know...id be glad to know what I could do to stop them....thery are not very fun to live with!
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2005, 11:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi,

Yes I've definitely had disturbed sleep and also some odd dreams, though not as extreme as what you've described.

Still, this disease does some strange things. Since it affects the brain, I wonder if some of this is a type of herx from the Bb dying off.

I had a really bizarre psychological reaction (I thought I was losing my mind for real) when I was on abx once before and my LLMD believes it was likely a herx, especially since it occured right after the fourth month.

I find valerian root to be helpful. The best way to prepare it is to get the actual root and put about a heaping teaspoonful in about 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, and allow to simmer for 15 minutes. Let it cool slightly (it's best to drink it hot). It smells and tastes terrible, but it is very relaxing and a nice way to go to sleep.

Sometimes it also helps to play some soothing music in the background as you are going to sleep. Also, reading something inspiring or uplifting right before you go to sleep can put the right thoughts in your mind as you drift off.

Hope this is of some help!

Old 06-26-2005, 05:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

man i jumped on this thread when i read the title...

i've had vivid sexual dreams in the last few weeks that are NOT good, desireable, at all. very twisted - one in which i'm a perpetrator...

then woke this morning to a dream that are family was locking ourselves up in what part of the house knowing that someone/something was intruding somehere else in the house. IT WAS SO REAL it woke me up...
and these CRAP sexual dreams have been the same way... and yet with the typical elements of dreams that don't make any sense, but clear as day to remember. YUCK.

i can't imagine where the lyme comes in but i know there are a lot of neuro things that are weird... my mental processing, word recall, ability to navigate in a car, sound senstitivity, ringing in ears, and body twitches.

really hate the dream stuff... cj

Last edited by cjFTWORTH; 06-26-2005 at 05:36 AM.

Old 06-26-2005, 05:47 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

JustDave4now HB User

Hey Exdancer,
A couple of questions, first have you ever had this before? or is this completely new? Have you ever done things in your sleep before, like get out of bed, move your legs like your running, jump up, or wake seeing things in your dreams. That your waking and seeing things, and finding your self acting out and trying to remove them makes me wonder. Do you wake up and find yourself standing ready to do something that makes sense at the moment, then latter you realize its foolish, but just part of a dream you were having?
Do others tell you that you laugh, talk, speak to others or flail like fighting when you sleep?

The reason I ask, is because this is a Sleep disorder called RBD, or R.E.M. Behavior Disorder, It is also triggered when we are stressed or ill too, so Lyme could make a slight case get really worse fast.
You see when you sleep, most people go into REM, which is the part of sleep when you dream. The body releases a chemical that does too things, first it paralyzes the body so it does not move and act out while dreaming, and a second chemical that makes the mind forget the dream and stop it from being retained in memory. But for people who have RBD, the body never becomes Paralyzed, and they flail and move about in thier dreams like it is real, often a spouse can be hurt in the flailing. They often remember thier dreams as well, and often are still in them often, even after first waking up for a few seconds. So If you are dreaming about snakes, even as your waking your still seeing snakes.
I only ask, because someone was nice enough to explain this to me one day. Now when you have lyme, and ill and stressed it will become worse and may become pronounced.

Now lets say you have never had this before. Well Mellatonin is something thats helps RBD people out allot. But on the bad side, with a few people it can actually cause some of the effects of RBD. Many people have the nightmare effect on the herb, so if you stop it, and it stops, then your golden.
For me, when I take the drug, (I have RBD since childhood) it gives me odd funny dreams but takes away the nightmares. Really odd ones, I once dreamed aliens came down and lended me thier space ship, so I buzzed around the solar system and visited all the planets, I will tell ya, saturn is really cool up close, hehe...

the dreams are really wierd but fun, but if the herb isn't helping or causeing nightmares then I would stop.

If you have done this for some time, look up RBD, it will help you understand why you do this..

my two pennies..

Good luck.

Last edited by JustDave4now; 06-26-2005 at 06:23 AM.

Old 06-26-2005, 06:25 AM   #6
(female)

Exdancer HB User

Thanks for all the input guys, I am glad I'm not the only one! I have had nights like these when I was not on any meds so I guess that rules that out. Also I don't really remember having things like this untill the past 2 or more years. I'm not married so I sleep in a room aloan with my door closed at night But I have been told that I talk in my sleep by family and friends when I have to share a room for some reason. I used to as a kid wake up in the same place in bed as when I went to sleep and now I'm waking up seeing things in my room! Dave you're putting it in to words exactly! Because at the like my fear about going back into the room because I saw something seems logical in my mind untill the next AM and then I realize how crazy it is!!!
Oh Cj you're not the only one I have talked to having those kinds of dreams either! And Dave I find that funny aboutt he aliens because on mellatonin I dreamed that aliens were coming to get us and you had to stay in the shade because if the sunlight touched you would turn into one of them! LOL!!! I'm surprised people haven't tried to lock me up yet! Haha! Thanks again everybody and maybe we can all get our sleep under control!! God bless~

Old 06-26-2005, 06:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

dancer!!

i just looked up exdancer's history and read first post as exdancer -- didn't make the connection and probably wasn't around when you switched screen names but HI!!! are you in school???

Old 06-26-2005, 07:39 AM   #8
Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi Exdancer,

I also get bad dreams when I wake up and think my dream is real. A friend told me a long time ago that if I go to sleep with my TV on, my subconscious picks up whats on TV. Anyway, I try to put the sleep timer on and when I do that, I don't have bad dreams compared to when I forget to put the sleep timer on my TV.

Do you sleep with the TV on? I found that information very interesting.

On the other hand, I know in my case that Lyme has affected my brain so that probably adds to it.

Old 06-26-2005, 09:15 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

gottagetbetter HB User

Hi Exdancer ,

I can totally relate!! I go through weird cycles with dreams.

I had months where I would dream of scorpions and spiders. Waking up and they are there with me. Screaming, sweating, and running out to the family to my hubby (still up late ewatching tv). I would be crying an telling him to go check the room..take all the sheets off the bed..check everywhere.

Then I would have months of only dreaming of my Grandmother(deceased) whom I was sooo close with. My hubby would wake me up sobbing.

During these times of dreams I would not dream any other dreams. I was beginning to wonder what was wrong with me.

THe lyme support group that I went to one time was talking about dreams and it seems to be a common complaint from other lymies.

Seems like they are deep fears most of the time.

~P

Old 06-26-2005, 09:26 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

outinthe_woods HB User

As Dave said - when you're overtired, stressed and housing the Lyme bugs in your brain, anything can happen!

At the times when I can keep from getting overtired and overstressed as much as possible (that's a huge job in itself with this disease) I can have a peaceful sleep....I don't have the "night terrors" any more, but can have some strangely real dreams with increased sensations (like being able to actually read a paper I'm holding, hear someone else speaking, "feel" things like distrust, comfort different emotions when with people, figuring out problems,like being in real life) in the mornings I've sometimes "worked" so hard with these dreams that I'm truly exhausted at first...but I CAN wake myself up when I start feeling uncomfortable during a dream....but it takes a lot of focusing...

Lyme makes us work hard all the time in so many ways, it seems....when I'm truly in need of a restful sleep, I picture myself floating on the softest puffs of cotton....LOL it's a good help to be able to visualize...

Old 06-26-2005, 09:34 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User

My poor husband has had a rough three nights...he has had insomnia and real weird dreams. He has been herxing or is dealing with untreated babesia in my humble opinion. I am glad he is going back to the LLMD soon.

Last night he said he had a weird deal where he woke up from bad dreams involving ticks crawling all over him to then falling back to sleep and it starting all over again...happened three times.

As I was treated in the fourth month the nightmares were horrible...I woke up screaming and crying one night. I haven't had them lately thank goodness.

Hope you get better sleep soon!

NCgirl

Old 06-26-2005, 07:58 PM   #12
(female)

Exdancer HB User

Wow I really am surprised that so many of us have these strange sleep troubles!! Gretchen the tick dreams would really freak me out to! I'v had them once but continuing to have them in the same night in scary stuff! And CJ I probably did confuse ya'll with the name switch sorry! Right now Im trying to take college courses plus I'm working 2 jobs to try to pay my way! I'm a nanny to 2 children and I had my first day as a housekeeper ata hotel. I came home and slept from about 6:30 untill almost 10 tonight and still have to get up for work early tomorrow! Im completely exhausted but I'm trying to keep plugging away at it. I'm still on oral antibiotics and I see Dr. J on Wed. I'll post thurs. when I get back in town. Thanks again ya'll for all the responses and support! I hope ya'll are doing well ? God bless!

Old 06-27-2005, 05:44 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User

Speaking of bad dreeams...as I'm in the middle of a bad herx now...last night had some doozey's. Woke up about 2:30 am from a horrible dream about werewolves that were hald dead/half alive taking over the world...the were right outside my window in my dream....then I woke up to some of the wost paranoia yet. Just like the rest of you I could swear they were in my house with me....hid under the blanket like a 5 year old afraid of the boogeyman. This lyme is crazy...
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

Closed Thread