It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2005, 07:17 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User
Arrow just wanted to put this out there...the "whys" of drinking lemon juice

Hi all...for a while now I've known that drinking lemon juice (freshly squeezed organic mind you!) daily helps out us lymies. It's listed in a lot of our threads, but just as that "in a list". I have often wondered why; what is so great about the lemons, how does it work in our body, and how does it fight the keets...and thought maybe there are those newer to the board that wonder that also.

So I thought I would post some of the info I have found out about this wonder juice for anyone who is interested...and maybe some will be able to add extra info or pointers along the way. I found this info pretty interesting and it made a lot of sense....so here it goes:

I found a lot of this great info in a book by Jethro Kloss called Back to Eden:

“The medicinal value of the lemon is as follows: It is an antiseptic, or is an agent that prevents sepsis [the presence of pathogenic bacteria] or putrefaction [decomposition of tissue]. It is also anti-scorbutic, a term meaning a remedy which will prevent disease and assist in cleansing the system of impurities.”

Because of all the digestive qualities found in lemon juice, symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn, bloating and belching are relieved. By drinking lemon juice regularly, the bowels are also aided in eliminating waste more efficiently and helping to control constipation and diarrhea.

“Its magnesium, in conjunction with calcium, has an important part to play in the formation of albumen in the blood. The lemon contains potassium 48.3, calcium 29.9, phosphorus 11.1, magnesium 4.4. Lemons are useful in treating asthma, biliousness, colds, coughs, sore throat, diphtheria, la grippe [flu or influenza], heartburn, liver complaint[s], scurvy, fevers and rheumatism.”

Just a note...I tried to find out what "albumen" is in the blood...however my searches pulled up way too technical info that my lyme brain couldn't process...maybe someone else knows this one?

Also I had wondered why lemon juice...it's acidic...aren't our bodies too acidic from the lyme? Here is what I found out from my searching....

Once digested inside the body the lemon juice becomes alkaline. Our stomach enzymes convert it amazingly. The research out there states that b/c of this lemon juice is great aide for increasing the pH inside your body to a more alkali level. Definitely something we lymies need!

Also there is research by a Dr. Beddoe that states that purpose of the lemon juice is to;

a) provide a natural strengthening agent to the liver enzymes when they are too dilute.

b) The liver can make more enzymes out of fresh lemon juice than any other food element.

c) The lemon helps fix oxygen and calciums in the liver because it regulates blood carbohydrate levels which affect the blood oxygen levels.

We all know how our bodies struggle to get oxygen and how important it is for our liver/kidneys/etc to be cleansed and get our enzymes motivated...so the little bit of lemon juice does all this...it just amazes me. I really had no idea!

There's lots of ideas on how much and when to add the lemon juice in your diet or drinks....

For joint pains I found this suggestion, one or two ounces of lemon juice diluted in water should be taken three times a day: one hour before meals and at bedtime.

But in general it seems to me the consenus is to put half a juiced lemon in your water first thing in the morning as it is very helpful for the body's cleansing process and good support for the organs involved (liver, kidneys, colon). Also repeat throughout the day with meals, or just in the evening.

Now if I could just figure out why taking a bath as a detox with those 5 lemons works...I would be happy!

I know this is a lot of info, and many of you probably already are aware of all of the wonders that lemons seem to possess. But for me as being a former teacher I like to know the whys of what I'm doing, so this helped me put it all in perspective and see the importance of trying to fit some more lemon juice into my day. Hope this helps some you out as well.
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2005, 08:18 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

gottagetbetter HB User
Re: just wanted to put this out there...the "whys" of drinking lemon juice

Romans12:12 mornin' ,

I thought I explained about the lemons...but I think I did in a round about way. So here you go.

Lemons are acidic, but after entering the body they are alkaline. Our bodies absorb EVERYTHING. Remember anything you put onto your body it will absorb. Most people have a hard time grasping this...but it is so true. You can try this by placing a garlic clove between your toes and within minutes you will taste it!!

I always taste the sea salt, hydrogen, lemons, baking soda, ginger while I am bathing.

So while you are soaking in the tub full of lemons what better way to cleanse the liver and alkaline the body.

As you mentioned lemons are very healing...plus they smell good!!

I hope I explained it clearer. Hope it helps!!
~P

Old 07-08-2005, 08:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User

Thanks alot for the added info GGB...must have lost that bit in the fog somewhere when reading your other posts! I believe what you're saying about everything being absorbed but just for kicks think I will have to try the garlic clove trick! I never ever equated the taste of sea salt, ginger, etc from the baths as being a taste from the bath water being absorbed...jsut thought I got some in my mouth at some point. That's pretty interesting indeed!
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

Old 07-08-2005, 12:23 PM   #4

gmcnj HB User

GGB and Romans,

How important is it to use organic lemons? I can't always get to the store that sells only organic foods, and my other 'whole foods' store only sometimes has organic.

GGB, I'm sure you've probably done this many times before, but could you give the recipe for the bath? I've only tried epsom salt and peroxide ones.

Thanks!

gmcnj

Old 07-08-2005, 02:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User

From what I've heard and read it's very important...as our bodies are so full of toxins to begin with that adding more to its strain in the way of pesticides and so forth is just defeating the purpose of the detox.

Hopefully you can maybe stock up next time you go? I think I remember that lemons can last pretty well, and since you rotate the baths you might only need 10 lemons for 2 weeks.

Correct me if I'm wrong GGB...but the recipe is 5 organic lemons, juiced w/o seeds. Add the pulp, juice, rinds and all except those seeds into the bath water and detox away! Good luck gmcnj.

Old 07-08-2005, 02:33 PM   #6

gmcnj HB User

Thanks, Romans. I don't have a juicer, but have been thinking of getting one. This gives me a push

gmcnj

Old 07-08-2005, 02:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User

Oh gmcnj I didn't mean you have to "juice" them, like in a juicer. Sorry....meant that you can just cut them up in quarters and squeeze the juice out ~ that's just fine!

But juicers are nice for other things too...I have one and don't use it half as much as I should. Hopefully when I am back home and stronger I'll be able to put it to good use...for now it just misses me horribly!

Old 07-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

gottagetbetter HB User

gmcnj ,

1-2 cups epsom salt/ 1-2 32oz bottles of hydrogen per./ 2TBPS fresh ORGANIC grated ginger(smells yummy!)

1 cup sea salt/ 1 cup baking soda

Lemon bath just like Romans said(thank you Romans )

Thisa is my day so after seeing my chiro this am I am off to a nap and then supper and a bath!! AAAAHHHHH!!!

~P

Old 07-08-2005, 03:10 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User

Enjoy the afternoon GGB...glad the chiro went well since you sound sooo relaxed!

Old 07-08-2005, 03:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Hey guys,

I know this is a little off track but since ggb talked about your body absorbing odors that it isn't too far off base.

You all know I have been taking saventaro capsules and a few weeks ago added wobenzyme per Angela's recommendation. A few days ago I also added beta sitasterol. Last night per takemylife's pleas I went back to the baths too. I have done them but not as faithfully as I had been for a few weeks.

Okay here's the question. Today there is a strange odor coming off my body. It isn't horrible but I don't smell like me. Boy does that sound weird. For all you newbies I'm not weird. I promise.

At one time somebody talked about this but I think it was ekim when he was doing the garlic thing and that is understandable. What the heck is this and has anybody ever experienced anything like it before? Of course I am hoping it's the keets dying and smelling, not me and that when they leave me I'll be back to my own personal fragrance.

Is this just crazy or what? I sure hope somebody out there has been here and done that because it sure is weird to me. I just feel like I need to jump back in the bath this afternoon instead of tonight before my husband comes home. Thanks.

BDFM ( Boost the Deodorant For Me)

Old 07-08-2005, 06:14 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

gottagetbetter HB User

BDFM ,

I know that for me personally since I have actually started to get my lymphatic system working, the foods that I eat, I perspire.

Do you normally perspire? I never used to. Now I am actually starting to which is a HUGE step!

Try the baking soda bath/sea salt. See if that helps take the odor.

I do reek of garlic. I eat about 5-6 RAW cloves per day. My family used to complain, now everyone calls me the garlic girl.

What I meant by the garlic in between the toes is that our skin absorbs EVERYTHING we put on it. That is why the baths help so much.

Do you use a natural deodrant. I never used to until I understood what I was doing to myself putting on deodrant that contain alluminum and clogs the lymph nodes in the armpit. I now use avalon..lemon sent and then I put on baking soda behind it.

Remember that you are probably a lot more sensitive then your DH. I know that I am.

Hope this helps!!

Old 07-08-2005, 09:17 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear gottagetbetter,

To be honest with you since this started I haven't sweat at all for a long time. In fact I stopped using deodoraant for a while because I was taking so many baths and just didn't sweat. About a month or so ago I did start to perspire again. Not much just a little but I guess that's progress. The odor is not under my arms just my body in general. Maybe it all has to do with the enzymes and some of the odor is either food I am eating or die-off. That would be lovely. Thanks for your input.
BDFM

PS How did today go for your hubby?

Old 07-08-2005, 09:51 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear Romans,

Organic lemons have been added to my hubby's grocery list. It's really funny but after that long post last week from the gal who is trying to take care of her mother but is sick herself we decided to add lemon juice (bottled) to our water. She was using lyme I think. I drank about 12 oz and an hour later I got real light headed. I wonder if it upset the keets?

gmcnj,

We shop at Kroger here in Texas. It is just a normal grocery store. I am not sure if you have one where you are but they have a ton of organic produce just like Whole Foods (well maybe not quite as much). If you don't have Kroger look where you do shop normally because I think a lot of the chains are realizing how health conscious people have become and are trying to accomodate them.
BDFM

Old 07-09-2005, 07:17 AM   #14

gmcnj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagetbetter
gmcnj ,

1-2 cups epsom salt/ 1-2 32oz bottles of hydrogen per./ 2TBPS fresh ORGANIC grated ginger(smells yummy!)

1 cup sea salt/ 1 cup baking soda

Lemon bath just like Romans said(thank you Romans )

Thisa is my day so after seeing my chiro this am I am off to a nap and then supper and a bath!! AAAAHHHHH!!!

~P
I'm pretty sure this is a dumb question ... are these three different bath options, or all in one??

Oh, also, how often do you all detox bathe?

Old 07-09-2005, 07:43 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear gmcnj,

My combo for the sea salt baking soda bath also has epsom salt in it. You can find various detox baths on the net. I just combined the stuff in larger proportions than needed and put it in a container and just dole out what I need when it is bath time. It can clog together but you just break it up to measure it out. I probably should put it in a tin not plastic so it doesn't do this. Same thing with the epsom salt/peroxide. I just keep the bottle of peroxide handy and put the epsom salt in a tub with the right size measuring cup and then I am not constantly going back and forth from bath to kitchen and having to measure stuff each time.
The lemon one you have to do in the kitchen of course. I haven't tried that one yet. Maybe when hubby gets some lemons.
BDFM

Closed Thread