It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2005, 07:09 AM   #1
Veteran

ciconner HB User
Restless legs

My 7-year old son who was diagnosed and treated for lyme with IV several months ago and has been suffering from restless leg syndrome when he tries to go to sleep. Last night he fell asleep on the couch and was tossing and turning. Then he started crying because of his legs being so restless. He won't drink tonic water (yuck), so I massage and rub them and gave him motrin. The combination seemed to work within 10 minutes.

Has anyone else experienced this and any advice on how to prevent it?
Thanks. I am assuming it's lyme related.

Old 07-19-2005, 07:57 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

debill HB User
Re: Restless legs

Hi CiConner,

Sorry to hear your little one has this.

I am not officially dx'd yet but I have restless leg syndrome..big time.

I am going to ask doctor soon to give me something to treat it. I haven't been able to find any natural remedies. The only thing that works for me is having my husband rub my legs until I fall asleep.

Good luck and I hope your son sleeps better tonight.
I am sure someone with better advice will be along.

Debbie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2005, 01:11 PM   #3
Veteran

ciconner HB User

Hi Deb,

I've experienced the RLS also. My mother always complained about her legs and not being able to sleep. When it happened to me, I found out just how maddening it is. A former employer told me that tonic water is what helps. If you find out something else from you doctor, please let us know.

As far a lyme symptoms, I'm pretty much symptom-free at the time. Wishing the same for everyone else with lyme disease.

Cathy

Old 07-24-2005, 07:50 PM   #4
(female)

Exdancer HB User

Poor little guy, I have trouble with that to, when I was a kid and had first gotten LD leg pain and restless legs at night were terrible! Kept me awake crying also. Could somebody explain the tonic water to me? What is it and how does it work? Thanks. Hope your son gets back to normal real soon!

Old 07-26-2005, 05:56 AM   #5
Veteran

ciconner HB User

Someone mentioned an ingridient in tonic water that works for the RLS. To me tonic water is something you drink with Vodka. Haha. I'm not a vodka and tonic drinker, but in the distant when I did down a few I was thrown for a loop.

Old 07-26-2005, 08:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear ciconner,

How is the little one? I was really hoping that the IV would get rid of the RLS for him. When I was on the rocephin that is one of the first things that went away. I sure wish I could have stayed on it because everything that went away has come back except the heart palps. Nothing is as bad as it was but still there. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

I was wondering if you are from Massachusetts? My husband laughed at me because when we first got married I drank tonic and he drank soda (he's from Pa.). I think the only people who say tonic are from Ma. Maybe it has magnesium in it and that's what helps because I think the twitching has something to do with magnesium. Not sure. Have a good week.
BDFM

Old 07-27-2005, 09:36 PM   #7
(female)

Amber29 HB User

Ciconner,
I have always had problems with RLS. I think the reason it gets so bad is because the lymphatic system gets plugged up. That's when I start to have a lot of achiness. I go to a BOWEN massage therapist who works to get my lymphatic system flowing. She tells me to drink A LOT of water to help it along too. I'm not very good at that. So sorry your little guy is hurting. I have a 7 year old son also. It's hard to watch them go through things like this.
Amber

Old 07-28-2005, 08:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Hey guys,

I can't believe that I found what may be the reason the tonic water stops the restless legs. I have talked before about the pharmacy column that is in our paper twice a week. Well lo and behold some woman wrote in and said she drinks lots of tonic water and her ears were hissing and ringing. The pharmacist told her not to drink so much because it has quinine in it and that is causing the problem. It is probably okay in smaller amounts. She just sounded like this was her drink of choice all the time. I don't know if quinine does this but thought it might be the answer.
BDFM

Old 08-02-2005, 04:24 PM   #9
Veteran

ciconner HB User

My little guy seems to be doing ok. He had a headache the other day. I tend to blame everything as lingering lyme symptoms. His appetite isn't the greatest and that concerns me a bit. His legs haven't bothered him for about a week. It does stink when the little ones have to suffer. Grown ups, too. It's just the little ones depend on us grown ups to be able to make them feel better and when we can't it's just heart breaking.

Closed Thread