I'm considering having all my amalgam fillings removed as a way of addressing mercury toxicity.
I've read differing opinions on whether this is worthwhile. Has anyone here done it? Did you notice any improvement to your health?
It makes sense to me that it's not a good idea to have mercury permanently imbedded in your teeth. But this is going to cost a lot and be a lot of trouble. I'm willing to do what it takes to get well, but since I'm several years into this mess and have already done and spent a lot, I'm a little more cynical now.
I know some people have gone this route (mercury filling removal) but I don't think we have heard back from them whether they are feeling better or not. My homeopathic tested me with his magnets because we thought I might have arsenic poisoning at one time because I did some crafts with treated wood. I didn't even know at the time that treated wood had arsenic in it.
There seemed to be some kind of metal thing going on so we sent a hair test to a lab and there was no arsenic nor was there a problem with mercury. Maybe before you go to the expense of removing all your fillings you could have a hair test done. When they sent the results I was also given an hour long consultation with somebody at the lab to go over it.
The only metals that showed high for me were tin and nickel. Some other things were off like selennium, molybdenum (sp), and various other necessary substances you should have in your body (to be honest with you things I never even heard of). Some of these things for me were practically non-existent. Most likely because of the lyme although we didn't know it was lyme for almost 2 years after the test.
Some substances were off also they stated because of hair coloring possibly. I do color my hair but they didn't know it, of course the test might have shown them that I do.
My homeopathic at one time put me on NAC to remove metals from my body. I talked about the chlorella in a post I just wrote to you and if you do some searches you will find that this combined with the NAC can remove metal poisoning if present. Again much cheaper than filling removal but something you will have to decide personally.
I just thought I would throw this out there to you so you can investigate. I feel everybody's input helps. I am not sure "normal" doctors put much faith in hair tests so you would have to have your llmd send it off. If you want to know the name of the lab I sent it to let me know. My niece told me about the lab I sent mine to and I followed her advice because she was valedictorian of her college class and now works as a microbiologist developing vaccines. Very smart!
Hope all goes well whichever route you take. Just don't second guess yourself because I feel your gut instinct usually leads you in the right direction.
BDFM, excellent idea on the hair testing! I think they might even offer it thru my naturopath's clinic. A physical therapist I used to see mentioned to me once that she had just done it, and that she learned some interesting things about her health. I'd forgotten about that til you brought it up.
Had my amalgam fillings removed and I have felt a 1000 times better. Do it if you feel you need to. And get this do to the mercury in the numbing agents as a perservative, I did it with no pain killers at all, and he had to drill deep on a couple of them.
Man I was stiff like a 2x4. The doctor told me after he was done 1 and a half hours later, I burned some pounds off on that chair.
Symptoms that went away where:
My thought proscess as returned
I was becoming slightly autistic in many ways
And so many other little things to much to go into
This has been one of the biggest parts of my recovery, getting my mercury levels down, and I do have them down. Instant turn around once I started a binding agent called DMSA...
Last edited by dealer1111; 07-24-2005 at 09:36 AM.
I was recently tested (RBC Mineral Analysis by Doctor's Data) and told that my mercury levels were too high. Lead and arsenic were also high but not nearly as much as the mercury.
A lot of my symptoms worsened around the time of the fillings. I can't think of anything else that could possibly account for elevated levels and I had wondered for a long time about the amalgam fillings and if I was being slowly poisoned. I sure felt poisoned at times and don't know how much was the Lyme and how much was mercury related.
I read recently that they've now been banned in 2 European countries, I think one was Germany, and that they're considering a ban in Canada also. Quite a few dentists I've heard from no longer use them. One said there is no harm at all from the amalgams, but he doesn't use them for other reasons.
Did you notice if fatigue was any less after removal? Did you do the chelation therapy? What I am still trying to ascertain is why is this procedure (replace amalagams) so contraversial when the argument for it makes so much sense? I mean, if it's illegal to dispose of the things in a landfill how is it ok to put it in your mouth?
I'm hoping to get my fillings replaced. Like you, money is an issue for me, and I'm having to look for a dentist I am happy with.
I'm not bothering with any specific mercury tests. I've heard that the only reliable ones are the DMPS, and that they can put the body through some trauma. Hair tests, I've heard, aren't totally reliable because mercury isn't abundantly in the hair, but is in our organs and brain. It's attracted to neurons.
I don't know whether some of my health problems will improve, I can only hope!
My advice is to read as much as you can about this, especially taking note of what those who have successfully got better have to say. I've heard that slow detox is best, which is what I'm going to do, but everyone is different.
PS Make sure you get a dentist who uses precautions in removing the fillings i.e. gives oxygen supply, air filter, dam, etc as having them removed releases a lot of mercury vapour, and you don't want to breathe any more in than is necessary.