It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
(female)

The Inquirer HB User
Antibiotic Question

Hi All,

What antibiotic do you think is best for someone who has just been dx'd with Lyme? If it matters, this person has no symptoms, other than the classic rash. He has been put on three weeks of Amoxicillin. I am asking because I seem to recall hearing that Ceftin is a better antibiotic for Lyme, but I honestly don't remember for sure. I want to be able to tell him soon, in case he should change antibiotics.

Thanks so much,
Inq

Old 07-25-2005, 01:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Antibiotic Question

Hi Inquirer, how are you?

Doxycycline is often the first antibiotic prescribed because it can be effective against Lyme and it is the med used to treat the Ehrlichiosis co-infections. I believe the treatment range for Lyme is 300-600 mg daily, not 200 mg daily like most doctors prescribe.

It is my understanding that an infection caught within two weeks of the bite should be treated with a minimum of six weeks of the proper dose antibiotic. Many doctors prescribe only 2-4 weeks. The antibiotics kill the bacteria when they are reproducing, which is estimated at around four weeks. A six week course will cover one growth cycle, less will not. If symptoms are still present, further treatment is warranted. A longer infection needs longer treatment.

Make sure your friend knows about the herx reaction. I hope he eradicates the infection early.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2005, 04:48 PM   #3
(female)

The Inquirer HB User

Hi Ticker!

I remember you from when I had my tick episode last October! How are you?!

Unfortunately, the only doctor my friend's husband could get in to see quickly was a dermatologist. I'm sure they see Lyme rashes all the time, but I'm not sure how familiar they are with the medications that should be used. I just didn't recall hearing much about Amoxicillin from any of you when I visited this board in the past. I have passed your information on to my friends. Hopefully, all will turn out well...

Thanks again and hope you are well!

Inq

Old 07-25-2005, 05:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi again, I am doing pretty good. How are you?

Amoxicillin is sometimes prescribed for Lyme, but I believe Doxy is more likely to be prescribed first. Doxy is often prescribed long-term for acne, so hopefully the doctor will not have a problem prescribing it. Just make sure it is more than 200 mg and for at least six weeks if his infection was caught within two weeks.

A few tips about Doxy to tell your friend (if he goes on it). Do not have any dairy, magnesium or iron products two hours before or after taking it or it will not be absorbed properly. If it makes you nauseous, eat something substanital and non-dairy before taking it. Avoid the sun. You can get a severe burn in minutes even when wearing sunscreen. Do not lay down for at least an hour after taking it or you can ulcerate your esophagus. This is extremely painful. Whenever you take any antibiotic, make sure you take high quality acidophilus capsules. They replace the good bacteria in the body and help prevent yeast overgrowth. The best kind to get are refrigerated. Most healthfood stores carry them. Wait at least two hours before or after taking the antibiotics to take the acidophilus.

Be aware of the Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction (herx). Often, when people who have Lyme take antibiotics, their symptoms become worse or they get new ones. When the antibiotics kill the bacteria, toxins are released making them feel sicker. It can be very scary when this happens but it is a good sign the antibiotics are working. Although it can vary individually, many people experience this at the beginning of treatment and every three to four weeks.

Best of luck to your friend. It is great you are helping him. Keep us posted okay?

Old 07-26-2005, 04:41 AM   #5
Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi Inquirer,

Your post caught my eye when you mentioned rashes and dermatologists. I had a Rash from a Tick and I saw 2 dermatogists when I first got my rash and both of them dismissed it as Lyme Disease, can you believe that? Not all dermatologists are lyme literate as well as medical doctors.

I hope your friend's husband gets the right diagnosis and treatment.

Good luck to them,
Denise

Closed Thread