It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2005, 10:43 PM   #1
(female)

Tangents HB User
New To Lyme - Strange Symptoms ? Please Help

Hello everyone I have read your boards throughout in search of info. I was diagnosed by testing with Lyme, had the rash, fever, lymph and aches. I also was given only 200 mg doxicycline per day. I recently have had days where I basically feel fine, then digress to feeling tired. My biggest concern was when I began getting pressure in my head - slight pressure during the day in the back of my head, but more pressure at night particularly following taking the medication - then two nights ago I had a lot of pressure, some slight headaches, dizziness, rapid heartbeat, and peculiar sensations in my skin (nose , cheeks, etc) Needless to say , I then had an anxiety attack at 2 in the am...paced the floor, read some of your comments here on the boards
(thank you for the info and diversion) and eventually went to sleep. I am now so apprehensive when I take the medication for fear of this happening all over again - it was really creepy , and I am developing insomnia over this which cannot be good.. Is this what you mean by a herx?? I have only slight joint pain on occasion, no longer running a fever, the dizziness sometimes lingers off and on during the day. Have ben on the dox for about two weeks, previously was on Augmentin about two weeks.

Can anyone tell me if these are normal Lyme symptoms or Herx or the meds??
Is it safe to take Ambien or 1/2 a Xanax to eleviate the anxiety while this is going on ??
Thanks for your comments!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2005, 05:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User
Re: New To Lyme - Strange Symptoms ? Please Help

Hello Tangents, welcome to the board! It sounds to me like you may be experiencing a herx. You definitely can take something to help you through, ambien is a popular choice for sleep aid. You can also try detox baths of espom salt and hydrogen peroxide before you got to sleep. That has been a big help for me and others here on the board.

Your doxy dose is too low, however. I hope you can talk to your doctor and get the dose up to a more effective level of 400-600 mg. Also, have you been tested for co-infections? Some people say that the rapid heartbeat comes with babesia, have they tested you for that? How about for bartonella and erlichiosis? If you have co-infections, you need to treat those first.

I hope you get better soon. There is a lot of good information here about lots of different doctors, treatments and personal stories to help you. I hope your story turns out to be one of good health!

Old 07-29-2005, 04:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Tangents, welcome to the board!

How long were you sick before getting treated? As was stated, 200 mg of Doxy is not strong enough for Lyme. I believe the recommended dose is 300-600 mg daily. The most important thing you can do is see a Lyme knowledeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and under-treat. Lyme needs aggressive treatment. Besides Lyme disease, ticks can transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected. It is important to be tested by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA. Were you tested for these?

Babesiosis can cause heart palpitations and dizziness; Bartonella can cause swollen lymph nodes.

If you tell me where you live, I will tell you of the closest knowledgeable doctor to you that I know of.

Hang in there okay?

Old 07-30-2005, 04:23 PM   #4
(male)

Broken Wings HB User

Hey ticker Ive had 29 of those symtoms you posted on that sticky and im a bit concerned. I live in the palm springs area of so california and was working in the near by mountain areas march-april. I do remember a day at work when my right side of my rib cage got numb for about five minutes. Hours later on the way home I felt a stabbing sharpe pain on the same side with a area of redness in the location of the pain. I remember a red oval shape mark and my ribs in that area remained sore for about another week. Wondering if you new a knowledgable doc in my area. Been through jaw pain, night sweats, unusual day sweats, swollen nodes, mucsle pain, hearing problems, dizziness, testicular pain, and much more. Hope you could help

Old 07-30-2005, 07:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Broken Wings, welcome to the board!

Twenty-nine symptoms from the list is very significant. The most important thing you can do is see a Lyme knowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and follow outdated treatment protocols. Lyme needs aggressive treatment. Besides Lyme, ticks can transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected. It is important to be tested by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA. Babesiosis can cause sweats and dizziness.

There is an excellent Lyme doctor in Los Angeles/San Diego. His name is Dr. Steven Harris. I hope you can see him soon.

Good luck! Keep us posted okay?

Old 07-30-2005, 10:50 PM   #6
(male)

Broken Wings HB User

Is there a # or address this would really help. How can I find him

Old 07-31-2005, 06:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Broken Wings. Dr. Steven Harris is the son of IgeneX Lab director Dr. Nick Harris.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:15 AM   #8
(female)

joan brower HB User

hi ticker,
I am a newbie to the boards, I have been sick for years and years, have all the fms, chronic fatigue, sjogrens, and discoid lupus stuff,and now i have tested borderline for lyme disease. I am waiting on results of the western block. I am so sick, dizzy, no energy, I have even been told I am having mini strokes,with possible dementia eventually.I have read on some of the boards that some of these things I have could really be lyme,do you think that is true. I really do need some help,I feel like I am on a drunk with no alchol. Is this normal.
Thanks so much.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:30 AM   #9
(female)

joan brower HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan brower
hi ticker,
I am a newbie to the boards, I have been sick for years and years, have all the fms, chronic fatigue, sjogrens, and discoid lupus stuff,and now i have tested borderline for lyme disease. I am waiting on results of the western block. I am so sick, dizzy, no energy, I have even been told I am having mini strokes,with possible dementia eventually.I have read on some of the boards that some of these things I have could really be lyme,do you think that is true. I really do need some help,I feel like I am on a drunk with no alchol. Is this normal.
Thanks so much.

Old 08-10-2005, 01:04 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Joan, welcome to the board!

I am sorry you have been sick for a long time, I know it is frustrating. Lyme can be very difficult to diagnose. No test is completely reliable and results can vary by lab.

The most important thing you can do is see a Lyme knowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. Besides Lyme, ticks can transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Battonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected. It is important to be tested by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.

Lyme is known as the great imitator because its symptoms mimic those of many other diseases. Many people who have Lyme were first diagnosed with something else. I do think it is possible that your symtpoms could be from tickborne illnesses. They can cause many seemingly unrelated symptoms.

If you post where you are located, I will give you the name of the closest knowledgable doctor to you that I know of.

Hang in there okay? Good help is available.

Old 08-10-2005, 03:30 PM   #11
(female)

joan brower HB User

Ticker,
Thanks so much for getting back to me. I live in N.C. and am close to the Chapel Hill,Baptist,and Duke Hospitals. Is it to your knowledge that if you are borderline first,that you probably do have lyme? I have lived with all of the symptoms that the moderator lists in this web, it is so strange, alot of it I have said it was probably from my fms or cfs. My brain is just about gone it seems or maybe its just the foggg.I am so glad that I found this website, and thank you for listening and answering me.
bless you

Old 08-10-2005, 05:17 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan brower
Ticker,
Thanks so much for getting back to me. I live in N.C. and am close to the Chapel Hill,Baptist,and Duke Hospitals. Is it to your knowledge that if you are borderline first,that you probably do have lyme? I have lived with all of the symptoms that the moderator lists in this web, it is so strange, alot of it I have said it was probably from my fms or cfs. My brain is just about gone it seems or maybe its just the foggg.I am so glad that I found this website, and thank you for listening and answering me.
bless you
Joan, sorry you've ill for so long with no real answers... Lyme is a mean disease but maybe a clear diagnosis would atleast let you know who the real enemy is. I'm sure I remember there being a great lyme doc in the NC area and Ticker or someone will get right back with you...

This IS the best support place you will find... the people are just so caring. So welcome and hang in there while you are trying to find answers...cj

Old 08-10-2005, 05:25 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Wings
Is there a # or address this would really help. How can I find him
Man, three newbies in one post is kind of scary... but glad yall found this place...
Broken Wings, sorry you have SO many lyme symtoms - Yuck! But maybe you can find some answers...

The posting rules are rather stringent on what info one can share on these boards... I think, city/state is it. If I'm wrong, someone will let us know. But a simple search with quotes around doc's name should locate him in a jiffy. Reading up on the posting rules is a good ideato avoid experiecing bans... easy to do. Anyway, let us know when you locate doc or if you are still having problems, ok?

cj

Old 08-10-2005, 05:31 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangents

Can anyone tell me if these are normal Lyme symptoms or Herx or the meds??
Is it safe to take Ambien or 1/2 a Xanax to eleviate the anxiety while this is going on ??
Thanks for your comments!
Dang, Tangents... so sorry you are having such a rough time... did doc say that he was going to start you off on a low dose and then build you up to a therapeutic one? It DOES sound like you are herxing? Have you had rapid heart/etc. before??

If no one catches your question about ambien/xanax pretty soon, you might make a seperate post about that... or do a search with those names in it.

I just read a posts mentioning both of those drugs ... don't know if I'd been searching or if they are current posts... did your doc not discuss these with you? i guess not, dumb question.

Hang in there and welcome to the boards... cj

Old 08-10-2005, 06:02 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Joan. In my non-medical opinion tests are either positive or negative. Lyme tests are not completely reliable. A knowledgeable doctor will consider your entire history and not rely solely on test results. Many people who have Lyme disease were first diagnosed with other diseases including CFS and Fibromyalgia.

There is an excellent Lyme doctor in Huntersville, NC. His name is Dr. Joseph Jemsek. I hope you can get an appointment with him soon.

Hang in there okay? Keep us posted on your progress.

Closed Thread