It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2005, 09:18 PM   #1
(female)

sickandconfused HB User
question about mri's and lesions- should they be done with contrast?

I had an MRI with contrast done about 3 years ago which showed 3 white matter lesions in frontal lobe. A year ago, I had another MRI done by my former primary care dr (and he is Former for a reason!!). I was having bad headaches and also told him about the prior MRI results. He ordered an MRI, but without contrast. He would not order one with contrast. Anyway, the MRI came back completely normal, which is strange considering my neuro/cognitive problems have worsened so much over these past years.

I was wondering, are there certain types of MRI's that are more likely to show lesions? Do they have to be done with contrast? I just read an article by Brian Fallon and he said that certain "flair sequences" on an mri can pick up lesions better. Also wondering how often people with neuro lyme are supposed to get MRI's and Spec scans.

Any insight?

Thanks,
Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2005, 05:54 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

brennd8 HB User
Re: question about mri's and lesions- should they be done with contrast?

Hi Nancy,
How are you doing?
I hope you have been doing alot of research on Lymes and getting very educated on this extensive subject. It sure helps to be armed when you are facing drs who want to act like lymes doesn't exist.
My experience with MRI's goes like this. Remember I have the seizures also.
When my symptoms started happening 2 yrs ago I had an MRI done the neurologist was a mean mean man. He said it did not show one thing wrong with me and I needed to see a physchiatrist. I could not walk I had Bell's Palsy , etc... I later obtained my medical records and saw for myseld that the person who reads the reports wrote that my brain was swollen. I believe the correct term is Encephalitis.
One yr later I had another MRI done the same neurolgist came in to my hospital room told me their was nothing wrongwith me all I need to do was lose 20 lbs and I would be fine. I also got those records and they stated that had 2 white spots on my frontal lobes.
This month (Aug 2005) I had another MRI done by my new Neirologist I was in the hospital again and he cami into my room and told me that I now have 4 white spots on my frontal lobes and he sent me to by ambulance to anther hospital where his "Mentor Dr" was at. I was their for a few days and this dr looked at my MRI (the smae one) and told me their were no white spots whatsoever and that I do not have Lymes and that I need to see a Phsychiatrist and now my neurologist is acting strange toward me because his freaking "mentor" said those things when my neurologist himself saw the white spots.
So saying all that, it just depends on how is reading your MRI.
Please Please Please Nancy stay with Dr Horowitz and the treatments and check into getting Medicaid. I know it is a hard thing to do and accept that you have to do it but you need antibiotics and if medicaid is the only way you can get them then please do it. My husband and I just signed up for it last week. We are about $20,000 in debt because of my medical bills and it was the only thing we could do. They will help you. You need it, because you will get better, Nancy. We have to stick together, Seizure Buddy !!!!!!
I went to a Lymes COnvention here in Michigan and they had survivor storyies. 3 ladies stood up and gave their stories . It took them from 4-6 yrs on antibiotics to get over lymes but they are over it.
Please stick with it . I know it gets frustrating, I get frustrated. because I hurt so bad. But we have to stay together and fight this disease.
Hope I didn't overwhelm you. I just want you to know I think of you often and I am praying for you,
Heather

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2005, 06:15 PM   #3
Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi all,

Nancy, did you ask Dr. Horowitz about this? I would think he would know the best. When do you see him again? I read wonderful articles about Dr. Horowitz so you are in very good hands. As you probably know, he attends many Lyme Conferences and speaks about this disease, very impressive.

How are you doing with the Doxy? I took Doxy for 8 months and there were days when I would get really sick to my stomach. Hope you are handling it okay.

Heather, that's great that you were able to attend a Lyme Convention and to hear the success stories! Yes, there is hope! Hang in there.

Denise

Old 09-14-2005, 09:48 PM   #4
(female)

sickandconfused HB User

I am on doxy, Brenn. Did you mean that I need IV antibiotics?? I was just at a lyme support group and some people did mention being on medicaid and/ or medicare. First I would like to see if my insurance will cover them. I am suprised medicare/medicaid would cover IV abx for lyme,

Also Brenn, I am still not totally convinced my "pseudoseizures" and my "psychological symptoms" are related to the lyme since I believe they happened before the major physical ones did, although actually hard to say because even before they happened, I never remember feeling well! AFter 2 48 hr EEG's woul;dn't the drs have caught "seizures" unless it is just that all seizures that are non epileptic are seen as pseudoseizures. Not sure.

Thanks for the warm thoughts. You are in my prayers.

-Nancy

P.S. ARe your seizures getting better with treatment??

Closed Thread