It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2005, 09:55 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cjFTWORTH HB User
went to orthopedic doc about shoulder

ps... also posted a neat site under LYME DISEASE INFO THREAD titled, 'Evidence-based guidelines for the management of Lyme
disease, from the 'National Guideline Clearinghouse'. check it out.

we went to an ortho doc on wednesday and as usual, waited for ever to get in and was last appt. of day. good thing was, he was very kind, personable. bad thing was, he seemed rushed. looked at xrays and said said shoulder was in good shape as far as bone structure, no calcium build up, etc.

said it was 90% frozen, that PT was out of the question and he could go in and do a manipulation under general anesthesia. sent me home with exercise apparatus that i'd be doing afterwards anyway and could go ahead and and start. I was to get a call yesterday to arrange for outpatient procedure as that would be cheaper than doing it in the hospital.

the more i thougtht about how barbaric the whole thing sounded, going in and letting him tear/break adhesions, i started looking at alternatives. i at least now have a definite diagnosis. some time back when doing massage therapy i had done some research and wondered on to a guy who had come up with a cure for FS through a dream/vision. He is a very well respected massage therapy instructor who travels most of the year giving clinics. I'd mentioned it to my MT and she immediately guessed his name, was crazy about him, etc.

Well, yesterday I called his place, someone returned call from arizona, recommended i see someone who has trained under him that also assists in his training seminars, in other words, has lots of experience. she said that there was an instructor in dallas that she would personally recommend. that instructor called me, and said that she would highly recommend two other instructors right here in ft. worth. so i will hopefully call both of them today and act...

Apparently, they have a pain free method of melting the adhesions through using heat... don't know any details... but it was was a weird concept to the guru guy initially because heat is usually considereed a no-no... his name is James Waslaski. anyway, i'm usually in so much firggin pain by mid day, i can't stand it... and my bladder/urinary tract is doing bizarre things. i have an achy head/neck like i have some type of infection... just a whiny mess...

i did walk this mornign for the first time this week that that is a big plus. i go to cardio palce tomorrow for stress test with echo. i want all this behind me ... don't we all... and feel like i'm slipping away from god, which is the worst part... but i won't. and i will get well. just a few low days. i hate to feel sad. and i do. and overwhelmed. and can't even find the amino acids i bought at crist's office... what a mess.

definitely time to sign off...cj

Last edited by cjFTWORTH; 09-15-2005 at 10:03 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User
Re: went to orthopedic doc about shoulder

Dear cj,

I think you are making a wise decision in going the route you have chosen. There is nothing worse than feeling as though you are cattle being prodded along. I hope you make a connection with one of the recommended therapists. It's kind of like doctors and nurses sometimes. I think the nurses lots of times are more in tune to our needs. I am hoping Dr. Crist is the reverse.

I know this can be draining mentally and financially and hopefully you will start to see some progress soon. You know I had that thread months ago called rural pearls. Well I came across another one the other day that I think pertains to all of us. It says "Change is often desirable, frequently necessary, and always inevitable. What do you think? I think that is us to a tee. Hope the testing tomorrow goes well. Let us know.

Maureen

Old 09-15-2005, 10:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

thanks maureen,

i just got thru emailing both therapists... pual just came home for lunch so i will break for a bit. shoulder and neck hate computer. and i hate that they hate it.

headache is creeping up, shoulder/neck pain, here we go... i feel like such a whiner.

Old 09-17-2005, 08:09 AM   #4
(female)

hurt and angry HB User

Hi Cj,

2 years ago I had a frozen shoulder. Realized I needed help when I almost drowned in a pool because the pain was so severe after jumping in. I went the same route...went to orthopedic surgeon (this was before I knew I had lyme) and he sent me to physical therapy. After 3 months of painful and grueling exercises, it was worse. Come to find out after having an MRI, I had a bone spur. The Doc said that it was probably there right from the beginning (and probably very small) but x-rays don't always pick them up. All the physical therapy I went through made it worse. I ended up having the total manipulation and a chromioplasty(bone spur removal and scraping of the bones). Honestly at the time I would rather have pushed out 2 more kids than go through the post-operative pain again. But on the flip side, as long as I remember to exercise the shoulder once or twice a week, it is doing great.

I guess what I am trying to say is try the therapy but if it feels like it is worsening, and you develop a "new" sort of pain (brings you to tears and you can't feel your hand), then stop and have the shoulder re-evaluated. My spur almost ended up ripping the muscle and tendons. The doc said just a few more sessions and it would have happened.

Good luck with it....I know the pain is very intense when you move it the wrong way.

Take care : )

H & A
Wendy

Last edited by hurt and angry; 09-17-2005 at 08:10 AM.

Old 09-17-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurt and angry
Hi Cj,

Come to find out after having an MRI, I had a bone spur. The Doc said that it was probably there right from the beginning (and probably very small) but x-rays don't always pick them up.
Wendy, I really appreciate your input... they did such complete xrays that i'm not sure i would have ever thought to look at 'other injury' if this route doesn't work out... i do have numbing at this time, oddly enough. I will let massage therapist do there stuff and i'm very hopeful but if it doesn't work out, i will be open minded to other injury and MRI before opting for drastic measures being dond on my body. glad to hear that you got to the truth before more damage was done...
you guys are great....cj

Old 09-17-2005, 05:03 PM   #6
Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi Cj,

I'm so sorry you are going through all of this, I really feel for you. I think going to a massage therapist will really help from what I have read.

Hang in there, this will be a bad memory soon that you will look back on. I know you are going to get better!

Sending you Angels,
Denise

Old 09-17-2005, 05:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

denise,
what a nice thing to read upon waking from a late saturday afternoon nap... took an evening walk last night and was intentional about moving shoulder as i walked... i do believe this will be healing soon.

i don't what it is, but strange and neat how sometimes reading someone's simple word's of encouragment mean so much. sleepy state, timing, i don't know... but thanks... and healing back to you. carol

Old 09-17-2005, 05:56 PM   #8
Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi Carol,

I don't know what to say except that I really care about you and what you are going through. I'm glad you went for a walk last night as walking helps clear the head, I would go for a walk now but it's pouring and thundering here!

I remember when you comforted me and how much I appreciated it. When I lost one of my dogs, your words made me cry because they were so beautiful and touching. We are here to help one another and that's why I love this site!

Also, it's really strange, but I was just reading some pages in Dr. Jernigan's book and I thought of you.

Dr. Jernigan wrote about muscle pain caused by lyme toxins and heavy metals. He wrote that the indications are muscle and joint pain and weakness, sensations in the extremities of burning, tingling, radiating pain, swelling, arthritic and rheumatic conditions. He recommends one of his formulas called Neuro-Antitox Musculo-Skeletal as it removes those toxins and heavy metals.

Anyway, it was strange that I was reading this just a little while ago and I thought of your shoulder pain. I'm not saying that you should buy it, I just thought I should mention it.

Warmest,
Denise

Old 09-17-2005, 06:03 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

pretty wild.. cuz before i fell asleep, i finally found the packet from crist and was reading up on toxin protocols... and thinking that i have to get off my butt and get rid of some of this junk! my elbows have just recently started feeling like the after effects of when you hit the funny bone... especially when i sleep, i wake and have to move them cuz they're doing that... and i hear beeping far off in the distance in my head like heavy machinery, in my sleep... just when i'm trying to nap... really weird. i've had the buzzing in my right ear for some time but this is just when i'm trying to nap... weird sounds far away, cell phones, heavy equipment, not sure, but it's never really there... and then the stuff in my elbows and big time hands numbing...

so strange that you were thinking of me and i was going to sleep thinking/reading same stuff... THANKS~

Closed Thread