It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2005, 12:13 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User
Artemisinin for Babesiosis - Awesome!

Hi,

I have begun taking Artemisinin for Babesiosis. It had been recommended by my LLMD (who is excellent), but still I was initially skeptical. Boy am I surprised! It is definitely working!

I did some research on Artemesinin, and this is what I found out.

It was used thousands of years ago in traditional Chinese medicine to treat certain types of skin ailments and malaria.

It is a standard component of treatment for malaria in China, Vietnam, and other parts of Asia and Africa. The World Health Organization recommends it in countries where the malaria has become resistant to other drugs. In other words, it is commonly used in the rest of the world, why are we the last ones to catch on?

Very interesting the way it works. It contains a peroxide group in its molecular structure. When it comes into contact with high iron concentrations (i.e. inside the red blood cells where Babesia hang out) it "explodes" and shoots free radicals which then cause the parasites to explode like little bombs. Some also theorize that the Artemisisin inhibits a calcium transporter in the parasite.

It's important to use a good brand with standardized concentrations in order for it to be effective. I am using a brand called Allergy Research Group. I had been going to ask about going back on Mepron but my LLMD suggested trying this first. As it is, it is looking like I may not need to go back on the Mepron!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2005, 07:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User
Re: Artemisinin for Babesiosis - Awesome!

Dear Tinuviel,

Awesome! I guess your parents will again say they were glad they didn't call 911 because you are now getting better. Who cares as long as it happens and you can maybe get out on your own.

I am trying to remember what you were taking for the lyme before you started this. It makes me think that the Buhner book is right and you must resolve the babs first. What were your symptoms for the babs and did you test positive or was this just a gut feeling for your doctor? I felt good when I saw that it can affect the legs and arms and am praying with all my might this might do the trick. I sure hope Dr. Crist is open to it. According to the book you should only have to take it for 30-40 days. I hope that is the case for you. What dosage are you on? This might be your "silver bullet" like the cholestryamine was for sleeperwoken. Let's hope so. If I start taking it after the doctor visit I may want a detailed account of what you went through that night because I don't want any hospital visits if I know what to expect. Again I say to you whoopee!!!!! Keep us posted on your "recovery". It is so good to hear good news from you.

Maureen

Old 09-28-2005, 07:43 AM   #3
(female)

dianneom HB User

Hi Tinuviel,
I purchased Artemisinin a few months ago but deferred taking it due to the precautions for other medications . I am taking Mepron / Zithromax and having a lot of heartburn . If you don't mind my asking , are you taking other medications ? I also take medications for cholesterol and osteoporosis , and Cat's Claw .
Thanks for your information and so glad about your feeling so much better .
Dianne

Old 09-28-2005, 09:48 AM   #4
(male)

damz68 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINUVIEL
Hi,

I have begun taking Artemisinin for Babesiosis. It had been recommended by my LLMD (who is excellent), but still I was initially skeptical. Boy am I surprised! It is definitely working!

I did some research on Artemesinin, and this is what I found out.

It was used thousands of years ago in traditional Chinese medicine to treat certain types of skin ailments and malaria.

It is a standard component of treatment for malaria in China, Vietnam, and other parts of Asia and Africa. The World Health Organization recommends it in countries where the malaria has become resistant to other drugs. In other words, it is commonly used in the rest of the world, why are we the last ones to catch on?

Very interesting the way it works. It contains a peroxide group in its molecular structure. When it comes into contact with high iron concentrations (i.e. inside the red blood cells where Babesia hang out) it "explodes" and shoots free radicals which then cause the parasites to explode like little bombs. Some also theorize that the Artemisisin inhibits a calcium transporter in the parasite.

It's important to use a good brand with standardized concentrations in order for it to be effective. I am using a brand called Allergy Research Group. I had been going to ask about going back on Mepron but my LLMD suggested trying this first. As it is, it is looking like I may not need to go back on the Mepron!
Where do you get it and how much does it cost? Can you walk in a store and get it or do you have to order it?

Thanks

Old 09-28-2005, 10:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

This is GREAT news... I too am interested if you are taking other abx or natural supplements in lieu of abx.
while I've been reading up on alternatives to heparin for hypercoagulation therapy, Artemisinin comes up as another blood thinning option as well... so you are getting some of that property as well... apparently, a high percentage of lyme patients have this condition and healthier flowing blood is more condusive to healing...

blessings! cj

Old 09-28-2005, 11:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi,

Yes, I am on other antibiotics for both the Lyme and the Babs. I am on a different regimen each month, each time it is a combination or "cocktail" that affects both the Lyme and the Babs.

As for diagnosis, I had many, many symptoms of Babs, most noticably the cardiac symptoms and major shortness of breath (really odd for someone who had previously been very atheletic), and unexplained super-low blood pressure and fainting which began around the time the other Babs symptoms started. I also had the "tea colored" urine and the urinalysis indicated blood in the urine which is another symptom, night sweats, sore throat, insomnia, etc.

I was only tested via the cheapest and most inefficient Babs test which came back negative, however because of all my symptoms they put me on a regimen for it and I started really doing significantly better, especially on Mepron.

I now think that the Babesiosis has been causing at least 40% of the problems I've been having. As I take things for the Babesiosis I notice the most difference. And with the Artemisinin I feel just, "better", like I'm able to do things that I couldn't do before or I can do things and not be totally annihalated afterwards like before.

The way I am told to take the Artimisinin is 3 weeks on and 1 week off and then repeat. I'm not sure why that is but that is how I was told to take it in order for it to be effective. You can buy it in a store if you can find it but it's probably easier to order on-line. It is really important to get a brand that has high enough concenterations of specific things for it to do any good. Again, I am using Allergy Research Group brand which is about $30 for a month's supply. Compare that to $700 for a bottle of Mepron!

Another thing I started is B-12 injections, and I really feel like they are helping a lot also. My doctor tells me it is important to get methylcobalamin (which must be obtained from a compounding pharmacist) and not cyanacobalamin (which is the most common). He tells me that the cyanacobalamin is not as readily utilized by the body and that he has seen significant improvement in people with the methylcobalamin but little to none with the cyanacobalamin. I am on 1cc a week and am feeling pretty good, especially just coming out of a major herx only a week ago. This really seems to help lift the "brain fog' and I feel clearer.

Last edited by TINUVIEL; 09-28-2005 at 11:38 AM.

Closed Thread