It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2005, 09:25 AM   #1
(female)

sickandconfused HB User
need advice ASAP re: lyme treatment and united health care & blue cross/bshield PPO!!

My husband and I are changing health insurances and I need to know ASAP anyone's experience with the two options available to us:

United Health Care PPO (through definity)
Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO

Other than my current HMO (which is horrible), those are the only plans available to us. I need to know this info ASAP about people's experience with their treatment of lyme, i.e. meds, etc etc.... My husband just dropped a bomb on me and told me the change needs to be done by this wednessday morning.

(((( --- removed --- )))))

Thanks so much,
Nancy

Last edited by moderator2; 11-14-2005 at 03:06 PM. Reason: please follow the posting rules

Old 11-14-2005, 11:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
Re: need advice ASAP re: lyme treatment and united health care & blue cross/bshield PPO!!

Hi Nancy.

I have Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey. It's the HMO type of insurance. I pay close to $400 per month for single coverage. In my opinion - they stink!

My LLMD is not in their "plan" so I pay out of pocket for office visits. My prescriptions are 50% covered.

My tests (MRI's, blood tests, etc) are covered, but its like pulling teeth to get the money out of them. I still get bills from tests I had last year. Yikes!

Good luck with the decision!
Mickie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2005, 01:08 PM   #3
Inactive

deejavu HB User
Re: need advice ASAP re: lyme treatment and united health care & blue cross/bshield PPO!!

Hi Nancy,

I wish I could give you advice but I don't have any insurance except for Medicare as I am on disability.

Maybe if you look up both companies on the net you can find the differences?

Let us know what happens as I know these medications, doctor fees, etc. are so expensive.

Denise

Old 11-14-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
(female)

dianneom HB User

I had United Health Care PPO when I got ill with Lyme. Fought with them for payment for almost everything. First year I stayed in network and still spent $4ooo. over what they would pay. I didn't start treatment until second year and stopped counting by then. I wanted to change plans but my husband missed the deadline by two days. We didn't miss it the next year, I made sure of that. I now have a HMO and believe it or not I think it's better.

Old 11-14-2005, 03:57 PM   #5
(female)

sickandconfused HB User

dIANNE....

WOW!!! Is the united health care though definity??? I am so upset to hear they didn't cover anything!!! Can I ask..... 1) where do you live (insurance plans differ very muchin different areas) and 2) what is your new hmo??

I now have oxford but I am having trouble w/ them w/ covering certain meds and the whole HMO "gate keeper" thing is preventing me from seeing the drs I need!!!

Old 11-14-2005, 04:33 PM   #6
(female)

dianneom HB User

I don't know who the United Health Care was though. When I called them I was calling New Mexico. I have Amerihealth now. Have had no problem with payment for meds. But I do pay for my dr. if I go out of network. I live in Delaware.

Old 11-14-2005, 04:37 PM   #7
(female)

sickandconfused HB User

thanks Dianne. I am in NY..... hopefully united health care is better plan here. My HMO stinks! Also, I am seeing a therapist to help deal with this horrible disease and mental health coverage with my plan is the worst ever! (even my therapist says so! ;-( My only other options are Oxford (which I have now) and Blue Cross/Blue Shield, which are notably the worst insurances when it comes to lyme! Lucky me, they are 2 of my husband's companies three choices, united health being the 3rd! ;-(

Old 11-15-2005, 06:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User

Just wanted to add that I have United Health Care too (from Wisconsin) and so far have had to fight them tooth and nail for my treatments as well. They put a stop to my IV treatments after only covering two rounds for me, saying that there was no medical evidence showing that more than 4 weeks of IV treatment is effective!! Also as far as labs, doctors visits and specialty visits go, they charge you an arm and a leg if you go out of the "network". And the network size for me in this area is very very small! It was almost impossible to track down a neurologist anywhere close to where I lived in WI that was covered. So it was always very nerve wracking for me to have to worry aout who I was seeing and double checking to make sure they were in network, or having the right labs run my tests...cuz if they didn't then I got stuck with a huge bill. Plus they over charged me a time or two and caused me tons of headaches and time trying to get them all straightened up. Some of the mess took over 5 months to straighten out. And don't even get me started on their customer service, many times I would call up, get one answer from someone, then get a bill, call them back, and have someone else tell me that the first person was wrong and that that dotor wasn't in my network afterall, wasn't approved, or whatever and now I was stuck with the huge bill. All in all, if I had another choice for insurance I would grab it, but since I'm so sick I know that I can't qualify or afford to switch right now. So if I were you I would be very careful about taking up United Health Care with Lymes. Good luck.
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

Last edited by Roman77; 11-15-2005 at 06:04 AM.

Closed Thread