It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2005, 10:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User
Book on Taming the Sugar Cravings...

Hi All -

I have a book called "The Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program" by Kathleen DesMaisons, PhD. It is a very interesting book. I got it awhile ago but did not try the program. Now I am actually trying her suggestions for diet.

She also wrote, "Potatoes not Prozac"

It is interesting...a lot of what she talks about I had discovered on my own when I was aware that my blood sugar was up and down and all around. I always eat breakfast with a protein...if I miss breakfast it is not a good scene.

She talks about eating a potatoe WITH THE SKINS at night three hours after dinner but before bed. No protein with it...just butter or oil or something none protein.

By doing this apparently tryptophan has a greater chance of crossing the blood brain barrier and then subsequently creating serotonin in the brain she says. She explains that tryptophan is a "runt" in the amino acid family and is the precursor to serratonin...that somehow by eating this potatoe it kicks in the insulin response taking all the other amino acids competing to get across the BBB away from the BBB so that little runt tryptophan is absorbed and consequently more serotonin can be produced.

I have been doing this for a week and notice I am dreaming a lot more which she claims is a sign for seratonin production.

I like her suggestions for kicking the sugar addiction which I have always had except last year when I was brutal. I had cut out everything but alas had one cookie that got me hooked again.

Just interesting...I know that I have low seratonin but have been very afraid to take an SSRI. My intuition just tells me that it is not for me.

I know that potatoes are a starch...careful of the yeastie beasties...also know that nightshades can kick off an inflammation cascade in some...but for me that is the chance I have decided to take to get off sugar which I am sure is not good for my body and also promotes the yeastie beasties..

Just thought I would share....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2005, 10:36 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

gottagetbetter HB User
Re: Book on Taming the Sugar Cravings...

ncgirl ,

Thanks for sharing. I know I have let a few things here and there this holiday and am feeling under the weather. I had stuffing and gravy (which I have been off the yeast for 2 years). You are so right about letting one in and then its hard to stop.

How are you and DH doing? Haven't heard you mention y'alls health. Just checking up on you!!

~P

Old 01-07-2006, 08:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User

Hi GGB -

We are doing alright. DH is off all meds - scares me because I don't think he is completely through this.

I am hanging in there...still herxing on abx when I take them. I can go about 32 days before symptoms start coming back. Just really been looking at cleaning up my diet again and detoxing and possibly trying some very alternative therapies

Think about you often and hope you are well. Sounds like everything has been turned upside down in your life. Sometimes I worry that you figuring out the truth about what you were/are dealing with healthwise was too much for some close to you to take. Worries me that I was the catalyst of that...but I know that the truth is what sets you free on so many levels and in the case of these tick borne illnesses it must be recognized and treated one way or another.

Take care and Happy New Year! Hope to catch up with you soon.

Old 01-07-2006, 05:31 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

lymegirl HB User

ncgirl

That is a book I need. Crave sugar and salt all the time. Feel like an addict as I look through the pantry and fridge for something sweet. Know I shouldn't but.... Am grouchy when I can't find anything.

Got Dr Jernigan's book today from amazon and can't wait to start. I'll look this one up too. I need it.

Have a great weekend
Kim

Old 01-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User

I hope you are having a good weekend too Kim!

I am the same way when it comes to sugar...always have been. I have many sugar addicts before me in my family...not to make excuses but I really believe there is a certain physiology that is prone to it.

Yes, it is a great book on sugar cravings. I have been trying to get the evening potatoe in that she talks about...when I do I see a dramatic change in my moods and my sleep is improved. I feel so much better in the mornings.

"Potatoes Not Prozac" is her first book.

Take care Kim!

Last edited by moderator2; 01-08-2006 at 04:23 PM.

Old 01-08-2006, 03:38 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

fotomom HB User

Sounds like a great book! I just bought the yeast connection book (cookbook) and its interesting to read about how food affects our Lyme and yeast issues

Old 01-08-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

lymegirl HB User

Fotomom

Is Yeast Connection the name of the book? Who is the author? I would be interested in that one too. My New Years resolution is to do more reading up on lyme and how to fight it. I just got Dr Jernigan's book and am finding it interesting. I am realizing that abx alone are not going to get rid of this disease. It is up to me.

Good to see you on the other site too!

Have a good night
Kim

Closed Thread