It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2006, 08:37 AM   #1

ashmarie4444 HB User
lyme and smoking...yes, i know it's bad regardless :-/

so, i have to admit, I'm not a regular smoker, but i do smoke maybe one or two a day on average. I've started to try to think of any and all things I'm doing that might prolong me getting better, and started to wonder if smoking was one of them? has anyone read or know anything about the subject? I tried to google it, but not having much luck at all...

hope everyone's hanging in there!
Ash

Old 01-25-2006, 11:01 AM   #2
Inactive

deejavu HB User
Re: lyme and smoking...yes, i know it's bad regardless :-/

Hi Ashmarie,

I believe the reason is that smoking destroys or does something bad to the oxygen in our blood, not good for those lyme spirochetes. I believe I read that lots of oxygen helps kill those buggers.

By the way, I smoke too and I don't plan on quitting! It's my only vice in life and I still love it (hey Dr. Jernigan, you didn't read that!!).

Denise

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2006, 11:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

I confess that I also smoke.

No plans on quitting now - too sick to care or too sick to manage a big hurdle like quitting right now (is that backwards logic or what?)

I tried last year to find info on smoking and its affects on Lyme patients. I found little other than the usual "smoking is bad for you" stuff.

I wasn't smoking a lot until I got so sick that I can't do what I used to and I spend 99% of my time on this stupid sofa. Now I puff away like a chimney. Guess I'm bored.

Looking forward to quitting once I get my balance back and I can get out of this house!

Old 01-25-2006, 04:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Smoking or eating, now which one is the worse. I don't smoke. Maybe if I did I would not have the food cravings so badly. I don't plan to take up smoking, but I sure do need to stop the cravings.....Marsha

Old 01-25-2006, 08:47 PM   #5
Veteran

ciconner HB User

Well, I like to have a beer now and then. Like one or two a night, while we're on the topic of vices. That's my detox method. LOL. Only foreign beer, the domestic stuff had too much chemical in it.

Old 01-26-2006, 02:34 PM   #6

ashmarie4444 HB User

LOL, yeah, I'm having a hard time with the alcohol thing also, when I'm feeling ok. My doc had said drinking in "moderation" was ok, but then everything I've read said it can affect the potency of the antibiotics...so now I've pretty much given that up. Very unfun. Which is what got me thinking about smoking, bc I too had a hard time finding info specific to lyme and smoking...who knows thanks for everyone's thoughts!

Old 01-26-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smyle HB User

Okay no smoking, no drinking, no sugar or caffeine, I can't drive so I can't shop...No wonder I'm losing my mind! Thank goodness for the internet

Frango

Old 01-26-2006, 03:31 PM   #8

ashmarie4444 HB User

no kidding!! that's what I started to think...I'm not quitting unless I know it's gonig to do something amazing with my recovery haha

Old 01-27-2006, 04:52 AM   #9
Veteran

ciconner HB User

All that on top of timing of when to take different meds, acidopholus, detox, dairy. Sometimes I'm afraid I'll spontaneously combust with the wrong combination or have an internal explosion, which I'm sure some of us have felt has actually happened.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:49 PM   #10

ashmarie4444 HB User

hahah...i know! every two hours i take something else that can't be taken within two hours of one of the 8. so good to tryto find any humor in this possible lol

Old 01-27-2006, 03:37 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

wackowoman HB User

When I was in Kansas at Dr. J's there were 2 patients that were smokers. One of them was seriously ill, one was not so ill. The not so ill (male husband) improved dramatically with his 2 weeks of treatment (he did not quit smoking, felt like you all, that it isn't good for you but... he figured they would work on quitting when they felt better). His wife struggled more.

It's like so much has been taken away from us it is so hard to take away the few things that are left (Don't you dare touch my chocolate).

Jeanne

Old 01-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #12
Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi Jeanne,

That's how I feel, that so much has been taken away from me, so just give me my cigarettes please!

It still amazes me that I never had any urges for alcohol (that's a miracle by itself) for 24 years now. When my Dad was alive, he said to me "Denise, if I felt like you do, I would be drinking", and I answered "Dad, what good would that do?" Just give me my smokes!

Maybe all the memories of detoxing from booze keeps me sober, I could write a horror story about that. Talk about brain fog? When I was drinking, I didn't know where I was most of the time! About 20 years ago I ended up in jail and had a great time! I was arrested for "disturbing the peace" because I punched a cop (I think I did that).

Anyway, I was never in jail before so I was curious. I was singing to all the other women "Tie a yellow ribbon round the old Oak Tree" (they probably wanted to slap me) and I was asking all the other females why they were there. I was only there for about 5 hours but because I was drunk I had a good time. Once the booze wore off, then came the shakes, etc., etc., etc.

So you can have your Chocolate!

Confessions of a Lymie!

Last edited by deejavu; 01-27-2006 at 03:55 PM.

Old 01-27-2006, 03:59 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

wackowoman HB User

Oh my goodness - I had to laugh at the jail scene (even though I felt the pain there too). But while I was reading I was wondering....

so, can you sing???

(tee-hee)
Jeanne

p.s. I am one of those who cannot carry a tune in a bucket!

Old 01-27-2006, 04:17 PM   #14
Inactive

deejavu HB User

Yeah Jeanne,

I could write a book about my life, LOL! Truth? When I was young and in school I belonged to the Choir, now I can just hum. I still sing to my dog (it's quite funny) and my doggie rolls over smiling because I am such a dope!

I would NOT, repeat, NOT sing in public, LOL! I would sing to your ducks though!

Denise

Old 01-27-2006, 06:29 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Chocolate......
Guess what I found on the alkaline list of foods. CHOCOLATE
I guess that is without sugar, but chocolate is on the alkaline list. the eat 80% of these foods list. Does that mean we can all have chocolate for valentines........LOL
Are to pour it over the good veggies?????
Marsha

Closed Thread