It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User
Question anyone taking trazodone for help with sleep? helped or not?

hi all...dr c finally has put me on something for my insomnia since the natural route of supplementing with melatonin is no longer working. i get to start it tonight i guess. so i've been looking up some info on trazodone and finding some mixed reviews on how it works for help with sleeping. am just wondering if with us lymies maybe there are better reports for ti helping? i am desperate fro sleep. don't think i've gotten more than 8 hours of fitful "know i'm sleeping" seep in the past week. so i hope this stuff works for em. can't even remember what it feels like to sleep all night. it would be absolutely wonderful if this stuff does the trick. thanks in advance for your info and i'll let you all know how it turns out, maybe i'll have good news for onec.
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User
Re: anyone taking trazodone for help with sleep? helped or not?

Dear Shanna,

Dr. Crist actually gave me this on the first visit after nurse Mary went back and talked to him about my insomnia. I really didn't want to go this route so I just passed it in at the pharmacy in case I want to fill it later on. I have been doing soso with the subligual melatonin. Some nights I don't even take it. I still break it in 1/4s and keep it on the nightstand. I think the reason I wake up so much is because my upper body is as weak as lower so when I turn it is like a beached whale turning. This would wake anybody up.

I stopped doing the melatonin every night because it seemed to be doing the oposite (even with just 1/4 of 1 mg) and I figured maybe I had built up too much in my system. Now I try to go to sleep most nights without it and if I wake up then I take a piece and that helps. If I can't get to sleep I figure my system is low again so I take a piece.

By the way I like how the trazadone says be careful of painful erections. I guess we don't have to be worried about that.

Maureen

PS Do keep me informed of how it works, maybe I'm shying away from something that would help.

Last edited by Betterdaysforme; 01-26-2006 at 03:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2006, 03:59 PM   #3
Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi all,

Just yesterday my Mom asked me to look up a new sleeping pill for her because she has problems sleeping (she takes Ambien which doesn't always work).

I looked up Rozerem and it sounded good to me, non-addictive and I think it said that this pill reaches the melatonin receptors of the brain..... or something like that.

Maureen, will you stop making me laugh? LOLOLOL!!!

Denise

Old 01-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

battling on HB User

Are these over the counter stuff, i have to find something for my mum , let alone myself.

Shes 74 with severe vertigo and exhaustion, so dizziness side effects are a problem.

any thing would be helpfull
Thanks
Jules.x

Old 01-26-2006, 06:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

I can lie around exhausted but unable to sleep. Most frustrating thing!

I tried Unisom and I like it. I bought it at my local grocery store. It puts me just over the edge so I can drift off.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User

hi jules ~ the trazodone is rx. melatonin is a supplement. think ambien is a rx but not sure. unisom is a over the counter sleep aid. not sure about the rozerem that denise mentioned. hope this helps ya out.

maureen ~ thanks for the chuckle! sorry to hear that you had such hit or miss results with the melatonin. i had that problem initally when dr c put me on the melatonin following my first visit to him. i had to give up the sbu lingual right away as that didn't dow anything at all. then the tablets didn't seem to work at all at the low doses (any under 1 mg) so dr c had me gradually build up to try to find a spot where it would work. the dose that for awhile consistently worked was 3 1/2 mg. but somehow that stopped working last month and it didn't come back. not sure if our systmens build a tolerance to it or if my body/neuro stuff is just more out of whack and needs a bigger boost in the ole sleep dept.

i'll be sure to keep ya posted on how i do with it. so far when i took it last night i feel like i sleep somewhat better. had i think 3 hours of running sleep so that's a huge improvement already. and didn't really seem to see any side effects at all, will keep an wye out though. it says on the rx sheet that it may take 1-4 weeks to reach maximum help. so i only hope it keeps etting better and beter.

anyway all hop eyou had some good sleep as well last night. feels so good to have slept 4 hours. yeay!

have a good weekend yall.

shanna
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

Old 01-27-2006, 11:58 AM   #7
(female)

dallasmommy HB User

My neuro gave me Elavil(RX) in microdoses(10, 20 or 30mg) to help me sleep. It has worked wonders! After almost a year I am back to sleeping as normally as I can with two toddlers. He said that it is obviously for depression, but for sleep problems you don't use it in the same way and with extremely lower doses. And since Lyme messes up everything including our seratonin levels, for me , it was great. Hope the trazodone works!

Old 01-29-2006, 02:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User

Hi all...just wanted to let everyone that finally this lymie is getting some much needed sleep thanks to this trazodone!!!!

According to the rx it says to take anywhere up to 6 of the 50 mg tabs, and the first night i took 1 and slept a little but it was still hard. But the next 3 nights I took 2 tabs and that helped even more. Am thinking after a week I may try upping it to 3 or 4 and see if I can sleep all night long for once! As of now I'm definitely not sleeping the whole night yet, but I am getting good chunks of sleep in a row uninterrupted, somtimes 3 or 4 hrs and then another set of 2 or 3 hours! So this is a great sign and such a relief. Feels so nice to be asleep, and not know I'm asleep...just be dead to the world and let my body do some much needed healing!

Thanks also Jeanne for asking how it was going on that other thread. I sure hope you will be getting some much needed rest too after your appt.

Maureen...maybe you might wanna give this a try some time if that melatonin's not doing the trick for ya? let me know if you do. would be nice to hear you were gettting some good sleep too.

Happy zzz's to you all.

Shanna

Last edited by Roman77; 01-29-2006 at 02:26 PM.

Old 01-29-2006, 09:55 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear Shanna,

It is good to hear that you are getting some zzzzz's. About a year and a half ago my GP gave me something (can't remember what it was right now) for sleep and I did sleep pretty good. We had to lower the dosage quite a few times because I felt kind of zombie like the next morning. I hoe this isn't doing this to you. Anyway I took it for about 6 months or more and discovered it was a controlled substance. I freaked out that I had taken it for so long and the insurance approved it and would have continued I'm sure if I kept it up. Maybe I am too concerned about this and should bite the bullet. I know sleep is crucial in beating this. I just wonder how long Dr. Crist will prescribe it because I don't want to take something he won't keep up. It was not fun coming off the other stuff. Maybe this isn't in that category. If you know let me know. I see him in 3 1/2 weeks so if I can get by until then I'll ask at the visit. Glad your getting rest though. I can't even remember what mg and how many he prescribed. I'll have to call the pharmacy since they have the paperwork.

Maureen

Old 01-31-2006, 07:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User

Hi Maureen...just wanted to let you know what's been happening. So far as of last night I slept 6 hours in a row, without waking up, without knowing I was sleeping...totally oblivious to everything. I was out. It was the most restful sleep I've had in months.

So far no side effects that I can see, wake up feeling refreshed and alive. Sure I still feel like crap from the lyme stuff, but I feel like a warm live body not death warmed over. I haven't noticed anything about not wanting to get up or being too druggy or anything. The rx dr c gave me says to take anywhere up to 6 tabs at bedtime. I am only taking 2, they're 50 mg each. And sorry I don't anything really about it other than it's used as a anti deppresant in much higher doses. Mabye if you wanted to do a search on it you could find out it it's addicting? I guess at this point I've been taking pain meds for what seems like forever and up til now haven't slept a wink reallly so for now I'll take the chance of maybe getting addicted to it and have to work off of it when i get better. For me the price of no sleep is greater than having to wean off of another pill. I need my sleep badly and I'm just so happy to have it back again.

Hope this helps you out.
Shanna

Old 02-01-2006, 07:37 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Shanna
I took 1/2 tablet. Nothing. No sleep. Horrible night. Tonight I will move up to 1 tablet. Will let you know how that goes. Marsha

Old 02-01-2006, 08:51 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User

Hi Marsha...sorry to hear about the rough night. but am truly praying that the traz will help you out some in the sleep department eventually. i know the first two nights i took it i wasn't impressed, as it didn't seem to work all that well. so i upped it from one tab to 2. overall on the 1 it was like yeah it was better than usuall but not what i had expected. but i think i read on the rx info that it's a drug that has a cumulative effect, since it's a anti depressant as well and it takes 1 week or so to start having a effect. so maybe it goes with the sleeping stuff too? i know that the longer, now on night 7 i've been on it the better the sleep has gotten. so hope the increase in dose will make a change in what you're seeing in sleep. i'll keep ya in my prayers.

take care.

shanna

Old 02-02-2006, 07:59 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear Marsha & Shanna,

Yesterday I tried to open page 2 on this thread and I kept coming up with page cannot be found. Is there really a page 2 or is it my computer. What I get is a thread on 1/26 and then jumping to 2/1. Strange. Marsha I hope the upped dose has helped and Shanna I hope the sleep is continuing.

Maureen

Old 02-02-2006, 08:08 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User

strange indeed maureen. sorry the computer was being fickle yesterday. but yep there really is a page 2. hope you get to see it finally since your post is on it as well now.

anyway just wanted to say the sleep is still going good, it seems to be getting better and better the longer i'm on the traz. hope it continues.

hope you have smoother sailing on the board maureen and marsha i hope i hear some good sleep news from you soon.

take care.

shanna

Old 02-02-2006, 08:09 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Maureen
The same thing happened to me last week with a different thread. pg 3. I posted and it should have started a pg 3, it said there was a pg 3, but I could not get it. Since it happened to you, it must be a healthboard computer problem.

Shanna
I upped to 1 tablet. It still took a while to get to sleep and it was not a good night sleep. But I probably slept for 4 hrs. Just not a deep sleep. Will go to 1 1/2 tab tonight.

Prayers......Marsha

Closed Thread