It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2006, 06:43 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User
Question any ideas on help for swollen mouth/gums/throat?

hi all and good morning....i can say that now cuz i actually have almost 4 hours of sleep under my belt today thanks to ym new sleep med. Yay!

anyway have a question...whenever i am herxing badly i have notice my gums, my throat, my lips, and even the lining of the inside of my nose will get swollen and painful. Sometimes i will break out in tons of cold sores all over those same areas, it'is almost pure torture. Anyway my llmd has given my acyclovir to help with the cold sore break outs, just take them when i feel them coming on and it usually stops them. But does anyone have any good tricks or ideas to help with the painful swollen gums, mouth and lining of throat and nose? or does anyone else get this? i floss and brush my teeth, have always taken good care of them so i don't think that's the prob. i have tried mouth wash and that's a temporary relief and then it comes back. it doesn't seem to make it go away. maybe salt water gargles?

i don't know gusy i'm at a loss for ideas so hope someone has a new one or one i've forgotten that i can try. really would like to get some relief from this. think i will call my doc on mon and see what they say as well. thanks in advance for all the help.

shanna
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

Last edited by Roman77; 01-27-2006 at 06:44 AM.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

battling on HB User
Re: any ideas on help for swollen mouth/gums/throat?

HI Romans
That sounds relay painfull, ive always suffered cold sores and cracks that get raw up my nose.

I have also wondered why they choose a soft area to run to.
I even get boils on teh soft skin buttock to leg area. Inside top leg area.

Ive no ideal if this is right but its always guess and see.
The tissue is softer, easier to move through in a hurry when treatment comes calling. its easier to boil out as the skin is supple and sometimes thinner. may be even more nourishing for the critters.

These things are clever and id rather be squashed with 100's of others in a laytex skin than a cradboard box, does that make sense?

No dodgy comments thanks peeps

sounds crazy but hey this is lyme life.

Jules xx

Jules xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2006, 08:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

battling on HB User

Hey romans I have an ideal, they hate oxygen.right!
Have you tried mouth wash and gargel with bicarb soda.

anthings worth a try.
Julesx

Old 01-27-2006, 08:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User

hey jules thanks for the idea hadn't thought of that one...only the mouth wash. hmm but i'm wondering is your bicarb soda like baking soda that we have here? i would guess so...maybe i will give it a try later today. would i mix it with water then and just gargle with as usuall? guess i'll be venturing into new and unusall territories thoday. yay.

another thing i reasearched and found is that myab e my problem is a yeast growth in my mouth. accoring to dr. burrasconos lyme treatment protocol this can happen sometimes and what he is suggesting is to gargle with mouth wash (in extreme cases he says to use a mild bleach water formula! yikes!) and then immediately open up a cap of your priobiotic and swish in your mouth. guess this is supposed to put the good bacteria back in the mouth to try to keep the bad stuff from coming back in first and continuing to cause pain and swelling. guess this is worth a shot. can't imagine raw priobitc is goign to be yummy but if it helps it'll be worth it.

will let ya all know if the baking soda and the priobiotic trick helps in case any of you have this issue too.

shanna
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

Old 01-27-2006, 11:27 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

wackowoman HB User

Shanna,
glad to hear about your little bit of sleep. Hope that continues to grow.

I'm having a lot of trouble with my mouth. I have $8000 worth of work that needs to be done. My dentist (who I saw regularly) was having physical problems and totally let things go in my mouth. So I am paying dearly for this...(physically and emotionally and financially - now that I am not working I don't have my good dental insurance)

Anyway, Dr. J said I need to see a biological dentist, one who knows that Lyme can live in the teeth. So I did. He put me on a special mouthwash (Denti-Care. Chlorhexidine Gluconate oral rinse). I had to get this from him. It kills all the bacteria in the mouth, then lets your body rebuild good bacteria. Using the probiotic after the mouthwash is an interesting idea.

Anyway, glad you got a bit of sleep.

Jeanne

Old 01-27-2006, 12:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User

thanks jeanne...i am hoping the sleep keeps getting better and better. that would be such a blessing. but i am curious about this mouthwash you got from dr j...is it very costly and have you noticed a difference since using it? do you think anyone can order it from his office or do you have to be a patient of his? b/c if it has helped you out i might call him and give it a try. i am desperate to find someting that can ease this prob. in the meantime i'm going to give the whole probiotic in the mouth thing a try. might be a cheap fix.

thanks again for your help jeanne. how are you doing by the way? are you still making some improvements? i sure hope you are feeling better and better every day.

shanna

Old 01-27-2006, 02:46 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

wackowoman HB User

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't get the mouthwash from Dr. J, got it from my new biological dentist. I used it for 2 weeks. Then off for 6 months for good bacteria to build. Then I will use it again. Can't tell any difference, but I wasn't supposed to. So you could call drug stores and see if it is a prescription - it might be, I'm not sure just know my dentist carries it. It was rather expensive ($25). but it lasts for a year so that wasn't too bad.

thanks for asking about me. I have a 'brain appt. Feb. 9'. I am learning lot's about the brain and sleep(no sleep!) in the meantime. Would appreciate prayers for this appt. Will give a full update after the appt. In the meantime I am laying low and reading about how the Lyme damaged my brain and what can be done about it.

Jeanne

Old 01-27-2006, 03:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roman77 HB User

don't be sorry, it was all my brain doing it. i read it wrong completely. but i will call my doc and see if that's something i can try...it's at leaset worth a try. so thanks for the extra info, i'll see what i can dig up.

as to you, i am so sorry jeanne. i guess i got confused and had thought that you were making some strides with the sleeping issus. sad to see that that's not the case. i will keep you in my prayers and hope that you learn more at the appt and some help can be found for you so you can get some sleep again and hopefully start making some good forward progress again.

be well jeanne and hang in there.

shanna

Old 01-27-2006, 03:10 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

wackowoman HB User

Thank you for the kind words. Hanging in there is something we have all learned to do isn't it? Well, can't wait until we no longer have to hang in there!

Jeanne

Old 01-27-2006, 03:58 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

battling on HB User

Probiotics in tablet form sucked helps keep bactiria in teh mouth under control.

I researched mouth oedur (?? blah spelling) for my son as he had severe problems but perfect dentist check 7th Jan 06.

so once he had the all clear i put him on probiotics. hes doing realy well.
So try sucking or chewing a tab.

sorry to here the dentist neglected teeth, i would sue him, proof logge dyou had appointments.
Tutt move over professionals here come the lymie brigade.

also do you have the tiny little pipe cleaner brushes to do inbetween your teeth.
try dipping them in the bicarbonate of soda, ( I have to start puting full med names as could be fatal one day )
the bicarbonate, or i would have thought andrews liver salts would be almost the same.

happy probiotic chewing
jules xxx

Last edited by battling on; 01-27-2006 at 03:59 PM.

Old 01-27-2006, 04:05 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

wackowoman HB User

Lymie brigade - Jules I love it!!!!

Jeanne

Old 01-28-2006, 06:07 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

wackowoman HB User

Shanna,

Are you still sleeping?

Jeanne

Old 01-29-2006, 06:58 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear Shanna,

A few years ago when I had some dental work done, I think it was a crown, my dentist gave me some prescription mouthwash to use for a week before the work was to be done. He said it was to kill any bacteria in my mouth so I would not get any kind of infection. I don't think it has a date on it so I have kept it and if one of us gets a mouth sore or sore throat we gargle with it. He said the only thing that might happen is it could discolor your teeth but that never happened. He also said that if it did it wasn't permanent and that cleaning my teeth would make it go away. If you want me to give you the name of the stuff let me know. I bet it had some kind of alcohol in it but I am not sure.

Maureen

Old 01-29-2006, 01:30 PM   #14
(female)

arcticablue HB User

Wow! I experienced swollen lips, sore mout and a sore nose over a week ago when I had a bad herx from Doxycycline and Quinine. I didn't get any cold sores, but my lips were so painful and I had an awful body rash. I lloked like I had collagen injections!!!! The pain went away after several days. I constanly get a sore mouth or sore teeth. I try to gargle with a mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide when this happens...and then I feel better. I hope you all get better soon!

Love, Jamie

Closed Thread