It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2006, 02:28 PM   #1

ashmarie4444 HB User
detoxing...where to start?

Hi Guys,

I know there are a gazillion threads on here about detoxing, etc. I've read through tons of them, but just curious what pple find as the simplest yet most productive methods? I'm just not sure where to start bc there is so much information...any thoughts??

Ash

Last edited by ashmarie4444; 01-30-2006 at 02:51 PM.

Old 01-30-2006, 02:46 PM   #2

ashmarie4444 HB User
Re: detoxing...simple methods?

ok, after i wrote that I felt like I should elaborate a little bit lol.

I haven't really done anything to detox, and have had lyme for about 4 months now. I literally feel like I can feel the toxins throughout my body and whether it's mental or physical, would love to just flush everything out in hopes to get some relief (I feel like the nausea and aches have gotten so much worse).

I drink tons of water everyday, but am guessing that's not enough. I'm just scared to do any type of detoxing that isn't lyme specific and might be hard on my body, considering it's already going through so much. And, I'm not a big fan of baths...I would prefer to do something through eating/drinking, is that possible or do you need both to be effective? Any thoughts would be great...I just want to get this stuff out!!

Thanks guys...
Ash

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2006, 03:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

battling on HB User

I have only known about lyme for 5 months, before that i was a takeaway every night, rubbish eating coke swiggling person.

however since reading up about Lyme i relaised i was helping whats swimming around in my blood.AND! i was helping the exist.
Now i have realy become adverse to anything that doesnt hold anything thats good for me.

I sort of brian washed my self by studying Lyme. Good brain wash though.

I think the old rule of meat and 2 veg.
5 helpings of colourfull foods a day, is a good way to go.

theres also vit tabs and herbals you can take. Someone will come along and let you have those.

I think the best way to help your self is to treat our bodies how your suppossed to. I figure we wouldnt dare put parafin in are cars, its an ignitable fuel but its not petrol.
( did that make sense )
Jules xx

Old 01-30-2006, 03:06 PM   #4

ashmarie4444 HB User

Hey Jules, that does make sense, I'm sitting here sipping a diet coke as we speak :-/ I've done so much research on Lyme since I was diagnosed, but I guess I honestly didn't put much stock in how a diet coke here, or a few alcoholic drinks there, etc. could actually affect my recovery or how I'm feeling. Now that it's been dragging on this long and I can feel the affects of the toxins in my muscles, etc., I want to do everything I can to not add to the mess. Do you really think you felt different after giving up unhealthy foods?? Thnx for your thoughts Jules.

In general, I'd love to also do one of the few day programs, etc. that flushes everything out. I kind of feel like starting with the eating healthy now is a little too late bc there is so many toxins already in me. If that makes any sense lol, has anyone tried anything they've had success with or that their doc has recommended?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by ashmarie4444; 01-30-2006 at 03:09 PM.

Old 01-30-2006, 03:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

battling on HB User

Oh ashmarie its never to late.
Although you may get reactions form changing quickly.

Years ago i was proud as i dont drink and i dont smoke , peopel used to ask me why?
I would say because im proud of the pure blood i have flowing through my viewns.
So much for that as Lymies been here long! time.

Another thing that brought it home to me was the detox bath.
i could not belive that by having a detox bath i could get what was in my bath into my blood through my skin!!???
to me that was crazy.

It brought home of how instant something you do can have an impact.
Place a clove of garlic between your toes and in ten minutes you will taste it.

Nefore all this i had no ideal how delicate my body was, i took it for granted, i may not of drank and i may not of smoked, but i starved it of what it needed to thrive, Yet i feed my plants baby bio.

Doesnt make sense once i saw the light.
Once i stopped constant take aways i felt lighter in heaviness inside ( not wieght)
and i think my brain freed up a little more.

im waffling now so sorry
Jules xx

Last edited by battling on; 01-30-2006 at 03:18 PM.

Old 01-30-2006, 06:36 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

wackowoman HB User

The best body cleanse I know of that doesn't involve a bath or a sauna is the Master Longevity Body Cleanse by Dr. Jernigan, p. 246 in his Beating Lyme Book. (good for a Lyme body) I have done it for 3 days, Sleeperwoken did it for 7 days, and I know of a person who did it for 21 days -whew! I am ready to start it again sometime end of Feb., hoping to make 7 days this time.

Diet Soda's can be worse than the sugar ones because aspartane stays in the brain - doesn't seem to flush out. That's scary.

Changing your diet will change how you feel. Just go slowly, make sure you are drinking pure, filtered water. Several posts on that on the board right now also.

does that help?

Blessings,
Jeanne

Old 01-30-2006, 07:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

I joined a health club that had a sauna and did it for a few weeks straight. No affect on me.

I tried doing a detox bath for 30 days straight. No affect on me.

I tried fasting but I only did it half heartedly. I didn't notice any difference.

I try to drink loads of water. I can't tell a difference between when I'm good and diligent with the water and when I stink at it and I drink Diet Coke all day.

There's a lot of other detox methods folks have tried: drinking lemon juice, colon cleansing pills, etc. I was too sick to care about trying those so I never did. Hopefully some of them will chime in and give some good suggestions.

Old 01-31-2006, 05:50 AM   #8
(female)

chocolatesprinkle HB User

Hi all

Looking back on the 6 months when my brain fog lifted enough for me to figure out what to do. Reading, reading, researching, here and elsewhere. Doing what made sense to me. Everybody's journey is different. I'm feeling a whole lot better these days, and the caveat is that I was not as sick as some folks here. Here's what I've done, detox-wise, or better living wise:

-Drink lots and lots of water (now adding slices of organic lemon, which are yummy, and do taste better)
-Detox teas (Yogi teas: lemon/ginger, peach detox)
-Detox foot patches
-Aloe concentrate (Aloe master)
-Super milk thistle
-Detox baths (when I felt like I needed one)
-Light yoga
-Walking
-Got all the chemicals out of my personal products (soaps, hair, skin care)
-Getting the chemicals out of my home products (clothes, dishwashing, cleaning, etc)
-Water filter in the shower/tub
-Whole Foods - eating more organic foods, fruits, vegetables
-multivitamin/supplement
-Sea salt (replacing table salt)
-rest when you need to
-sleep, sleep, sleep

During that 6 months, there were times I felt quite toxic (herxing?). Just a few weeks ago, my neck pain had reached a crescendo. And then, it lifted. I went for a hike on Saturday (not a big one) and wasn't wipe out that day, or the next, or the next. That's also a good indication for me. My brain is working better, not 100% there, but better. That's encouraging. Sleep has always been a problem for me. It seems that I've now given myself permission to sleep. The messages you tell yourself are important as well.

Changing your lifestyle takes time, but I'm beginning to see the benefits pay off. You have to do what makes sense to you. It doesn't happen over night. I think that's the greatest message I've gotten. So, whatever you do, stick with it. And keep the faith. Doing all/any of these things are a step in the right direction. It can only help in the long run. I'm always thinking of adding things on. I feel this is only a start. And I've still got a long way to go!

Many many thanks to all of you for sharing your stories, and sharing your knowledge. I wouldn't be where I am without all of you!

CS

Old 01-31-2006, 07:56 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

lymegirl HB User

Hi All

Does massages count as detoxing?? I hope so as it is so relaxing and if I'm detoxing at the same time wouldn't that be great! Went for a massage yesterday and feel better today. I decided to treat myself and scheduled 4 massages for 4 weeks in a row. YEAH........

I am also reading about the alkaline diet (see other thread) and think this is a key to changing body environment to one the bugs do not like. Not easy to do (most foods I eat are acidic except salads) but I am trying to integrate some of this in my diet. I plan on doing a cleanse sometime soon. I need to prepare myself and pick a time that will work. (some weddings and showers coming up).

Drinking water - need to do more.

I use aloe gel, adding to juice with green vibrance (green food in pwdr form) for a drink 2x a day.

Going to the gym 3x a week to work on rebuilding muscle strength. Got very, very weak (couldn't lift a water glass with one hand at one point). This is helping in several ways physical and mentally.

Still on the diflucan 50 days then 20 days abx (omnicef). Right now on day 11 of abx then back to diflucan for another go round.

That's my program for now. I'm starting with a new Dr in 2 weeks so maybe it will all change.

Have a great day all!
Kim

Old 01-31-2006, 02:36 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

wackowoman HB User

Massages stimulate the lymph system - so they are a great way to detox (but be sure and drink lot's of water afterwards to flush out all that is being stirred up.)

Jeanne

Old 02-01-2006, 02:57 PM   #11

ashmarie4444 HB User

Hey Guys!

All of this info is sooo helpful!! Thank you so much! Anyone found a way to get massages, aka "physical therapy" covered by insurance? lol doubtful considering my doctor isn't even covered by it, but figured it was worth a shot i'm going to get started on some of these...

Thanks again!
Ashley

Old 02-02-2006, 02:11 PM   #12
(female)

StMartinGal HB User

Has anyone tried the foot cleanse baths? I recently attended a presentation by a chiropractor and he gave everyone a coupon for a free EB Foot Cleanse (company is Erchonia I think). I did it and was really amazed at the stuff that was in the water when I was done - black globs! He wants me to do 10 more, plus some other adjustment stuff and supplements. I want to talk to my lyme doctor on Monday. I've never used a chiropractor before so I'm a little nervous, but the foot cleanse seemed harmless and might actually do some good!

Old 02-02-2006, 08:58 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear StMartinGal

Welcome to the boards.

I'm not sure if what I saw on TV here in Dallas is what you are talking about but a few weeks ago we were watching an infommercial type prgogram and found it very interesting. The natural type doctor and a few other holistic doctors chose somebody from the audience and had her soak her feet in water that had some kind of machine in it. Bu the end of the program the water looked like it had globs and stuff in it but I think it was red in color. They said this all came from her liver and was basically detoxing her. They weren't trying to sell the machine but did offer some detox products that really weren't very expensive. We wondered if it was legit or the machine put the color and stuff in the water. If it was legit it makes me wonder what the water I would soak my feet in would look like.

Do you have lyme and are you being treated. You have found a great site here with caring and knowledgeable people. Visit often and contribute what you can and ask all the questions you need to.

Maureen

Old 02-03-2006, 06:45 AM   #14
(female)

StMartinGal HB User

Thanks Betterdaysforme! I have been feeling horrible for about 8 months - been around to all the doctors. In November I called someone from a chronic fatigue support group thinking maybe that's what I have (since I failed a tilt table test and read that lots of people with CFS have also failed a tilt table test) and it turns out that she had actually been misdiagnosed for 7 years with chronic fatigue and actually has lyme. Based on the symptoms I described she encouraged me to get tested via IGeneX. I had them send me their test kits and then went to my primary care physician (who also happens to be a rheumatologist). I explained all my symptoms (mostly anxiety, insomnia, concentration and memory problems, light, sound, smell sensitivity - primarily neurological stuff). I had already done lyme ELISA and western blots at Bioreference Labs since I work there and they were negative. (Well the ELISA was 1.0 - actually considered equivocal I think.) I didn't put much faith in those results since I know lyme tests can be unreliable. I really wanted my doctor to order the IGeneX tests. Of course he told me that I am just suffering from anxiety and sent me home with some samples of Effexor. I asked him about the possibility of lyme and he said that since my test results were negative that I don't have it. Then he proceeded to give me the standard speech about being careful of those lyme doctors who will put you on all kinds of unnecessary antibiotics, blah, blah, blah. He actually mentioned the work quack at one point. I knew it was pointless to pursue it with him. I then made an appointment with Dr. C. in Mt. Kisco, NY (my friend's wife used him for lyme). He put me on 100 mg doxycycline 2x day. I asked him if he would do any more lyme testing through IGeneX and he replied that they are a research lab and he primarily goes by clinical symptoms. He said a lot of other doctors rely heavily on test results. Well - I wasn't comfortable with no more testing so I switched to Dr. E. in Jackson, NJ. I've been to her once and she ordered IGeneX western blots and the Stricker panel. I don't have the IGeneX results yet, but the CD57 in my Stricker panel was 13 (range 60-360) so based upon everything I've read I presume I have lyme! I have an appointment on Monday to find out. I also have a high DHEA SO4 of 281 (range 25-220) and was wondering if anyone knows if that's a lyme-related thing -possibly with the adrenal glands? Dr. E. started me on AG Immune and EPA/DHA supplements when I saw her about 3 weeks ago.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:17 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear StMartinGal,

I do know the adrenals can be affected by lyme. I am glad you are going to see Dr. E. I know quite a few people on here are seeing her/him and will probably come on and tell you their experiences. I see Dr. Crist in Missouri and he didn't see the necessity to test again but did so because I wanted it. It went to Igenex this time and came back negative according to CDC standards with 4 positive and 1 negative but we still believe it's lyme and are treating. Of course the CDC wants certain criteria to be met but then tells you the test stinks.

Keep us posted on your visit and good luck.

Maureen

Closed Thread