It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2006, 07:30 PM   #1

BB HB User
Stricker CD57 Panel

Hello Members,

Has anyone had this test done before? I received my results today in the mail and I`m lost. Can anyone interpret this?

% CD8-/CD57+ Lymphs Limits 2-17 My result 1 L
Abs. CD8-CD57+ Lymphs Limits 60-360 My result 23 L

The doc just made a notation on the report "Take nutients as recommended".

Will be seeing a neurologist tomorrow at the Jersey Shore Med Center, I`m hoping he can lead me in the right direction as I have yet to find any help pertaining to the lesions on my gland. Starting to get into a panic mode cause the pain won`t stop so I`m doing this on my own. Even the new LLMD could not give me any reference names for help.

Once again, going through that maze of doctors. One thing I learned in 13 years of dealing with Lyme Disease is that YOU have to do what`s best for YOU or no one will do it for ya. It`s a game of survival. Wish I had something positive to say but things are not so good at home and even worse at work, very frustrated. Maybe the neuro can help? To all, be well and God Bless. BB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

wackowoman HB User
Re: Stricker CD57 Panel

BB -

I am so sorry for yet another round of Dr. and questions..... such grief and frustration.

I am not familiar with the tests you are talking about so no help there, just wanted to say sorry and hold on.

Blessings,
Jeanne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2006, 07:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi BB.

My LLMD uses this test as a tool to make a diagnosis for Lyme disease. Prior to being tested by Igenex and getting back a postitive result, this was the test that made her begin treating me.

I researched this test when I had it done so I could learn all I could. My memory is just awful but I remember that researchers (named Stricker) found that certain white blood cells (NKC or Natural Killer Cells) are tested and in patients with Lyme, these cells are consistently present in low numbers. The CD8 and CD57 values represent the levels of these cells in your blood.

In January 2005 I had:
- % CD-8/CD57+: 2 (range 2 - 17)
- Abs. CD8/CD57+: 46 (range 60 - 360)

In September 2005 I had:
- % CD-8/CD57+: 1 (range 2 - 17)
- Abs. CD8/CD57+: 15 (range 60 - 360)

As you can see, my numbers dropped. I'll probably get tested again in a few months to see how I'm doing.

In order to help my natural killer cells, I take a supplement called AG Immune. I also try to eat right.

Peace and health to you,
Mickie

Last edited by 6Blues; 01-30-2006 at 07:58 PM. Reason: stupid brain fog

Old 01-30-2006, 08:26 PM   #4

BB HB User

wackowomen (Jeanne) Thanks for being here for me

6Blues, Your #`s really dropped, is this a good thing or bad? I thought your count would have to be within the limits? Still lost. My doc also recommend to take the Ag immune that your on, I have yet to purchase them. Do you feel they help? BB

Old 01-30-2006, 08:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hey BB.

My levels going down was a bad thing. On the advice of my LLMD I doubled the AG Immune and put a greater effort on eating right.

When I get tested again I sure hope my numbers are higher!

Wish I could have helped more.

Old 01-30-2006, 08:50 PM   #6

BB HB User

You helped plenty 6Blues, now I understand. I guess our immune systems are pretty beat up from this disease, thus the need for the extra nutients. I`ll pray for your levels to come up on your next test, thanks again Mickie. Time to call it a night, have to be at the neuro`s early and it`s a bit of a hike. Be well, BB.

Old 01-31-2006, 06:18 AM   #7
(female)

dianneom HB User

Hi BB,
I saw Dr. Richard Rhee at Jersey Shore Med. Center. Who are you seeing?

Old 01-31-2006, 09:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smyle HB User

Hi Guys:

Burrascano talks about CD57 and says that in lyme patients they like to see it above 60. Above 200 is normal. Apparently CD57 stays low until the patient is cured of lyme at which point it should jump up. If this does not occur then relapse is very common. Also, according to Burrascano b.b. is the only organism known at this time to suppress CD57. If CD57 is normal they suspect co-infections or some other cause for illness.

Frango

Old 01-31-2006, 09:10 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

lymegirl HB User

Dr Rhee is my neurologist too. He is a good guy but I would go to a LLMD who knows more about lyme, I would not rely on him to treat you for lyme. I was dx with MS 6 yrs ago and was never told about lyme, Igenex or any of it. I finally did my own research and asked him to send blood to Igenex. I have to say he is co-operative and will work with LLMD requests, which is more than I can say for other Dr.

Kim

Old 01-31-2006, 09:19 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

lymegirl HB User

I meant to post my Stricker panel results -

%CD8/CD57+ Lymphs 1 2-17 is normal range
Abs CD8 -CD57+ Lymphs 12 60-360 is normal range

Test was done 3/31/05 and have not been retested since.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:15 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User

what do you take for your immune system if your levels are low?

Old 01-31-2006, 04:12 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

lymegirl HB User

sleeper

I'm taking a suplement called AG Immune from Bodywise. Hoping that, other supplements and exercise is strengthening immune system. Have not had Stricker panel done in almost a year so don't know if it is working. I will have bloodwork redone soon. I think I did read that this number will not gradually go up if you were to test often, so not sure ths test can be used as a measurement during treatment. I think I read about this in Dr Burrascano's treatment guidelines. I have to go back and re-read.

Old 01-31-2006, 06:43 PM   #13

BB HB User

frango, Thanks for the info on the CD57 panel from Dr. B!

dianneom, Yes, I`m also seeing Dr. R, seen him today. I have to agree with lymegirl, he means well but I would rather be treated by a LLMD. First of all I think Dr. R is over loaded with work and he cannot spend any kind of time with his patients. It appears he knows the early stages of the disease but little of the chronic part of it.

We all know muscle twitcing is commen in all of us, he told me today that the twitching is not from the bacteria. He also told me brain SPECT scans are unreliable and that MRI`s are more accurate. It`s funny, I had an MRI back in 1999, came back negative. My former LLMD told me MRI`s are not accurate and to have a brain SPECT done, that came back positive showing 2 lesions on my right side. Same thing in 2003, had an MRI done, negative, a brain Spect a little later showed 1 lesion cleared up, 1 stayed the same and another one formed on the left side of my brain. Now what`s more accurate?

I was not going to argue with the doc and I`m not going to bash him, but I feel he is to over worked and does not understand the chronic stages of the disease. This was my 2nd visit with him, the fisrt was okay, a feelng out period, today was a total letdown. I showed him my report and MRI film for the lesions on my gland and explained about the pain I`m having in that area. I was told my symptoms are stressed induced, given some pills for muscle spasms and a script for an MRI. He told me on the next visit "he would get down to the bottom of this", there won`t be another visit.

What`s a person to do? I was hoping he would at least lead me to another doctor that could help, not. Better stock up on the pain killers and write out a living will soon. Better yet, reserve a room at beautiful Bergen Pines mental institution here in Jersey, "being it`s all in the head". In the words of the immortal Jim Morrison "Jesus, save us". BB

Old 02-01-2006, 03:37 AM   #14
(female)

RedeemedChild HB User

THE CD-57 TEST
Our ability to measure CD-57 counts represents a breakthrough in LB diagnosis and treatment.
Chronic LB infections are known to suppress the immune system and can decrease the quantity of the CD-57
subset of the natural killer cells. As in HIV infection, where abnormally low T-cell counts are routinely used as
a marker of how active that infection is, in LB we can use the degree of decrease of the CD-57 count to
indicate how active the Lyme infection is and whether, after treatment ends, a relapse is likely to occur. It can
even be used as a simple, inexpensive screening test, because at this point we believe that only Borrelia will
depress the CD-57.
Thus, a sick patient with a high CD-57 is probably ill with something other than Lyme,
such as a co-infection.
When this test is run by LabCorp (the currently preferred lab, as published studies were based on their
assays), we want our Lyme patients to measure above 60; a normal count is above 200.
There generally is
some degree of fluctuation of this count over time, and the number does not progressively increase as
treatment proceeds.
Instead, it remains low until the LB infection is controlled, and then it will jump. If the CD-
57 count is not in the normal range when a course of antibiotics is ended, then a relapse will almost certainly
occur.

Old 02-01-2006, 06:55 AM   #15
(female)

dianneom HB User

Hi BB,

Dr Rhee did not treat me but he started me on Doxy until I could find a Dr near my home . On my first visit he spent 2 1/2 hours with me . I already had an MRI from my first neuro . Dr Rhee did a spinal tap to rule out MS . The lab used too much fluid to do the MS test and too little was left for the Lyme test . At that point Dr Rhee sent my urine sample to Igenex , which resulted in my Lyme diagnosis .

I'm sure that without Dr Rhee I would have been treated for MS .

Dianne

Closed Thread