It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2006, 07:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User
Severe Dry Mouth

My husband, Larry is also showing symptoms of lyme. He does not want to get tested. The symptoms are there. He actually said last night, "What if I have lyme disease too".

One symptom he has I don't (at least not as severe as his). He has dry mouth/throat. During the day he can get by ok but at night he has to wake up and take a sip of water 4 - 6 times a night. His throat gets so dry and his tongue is stuck to the top of his mouth. We've tried everything we can think of. Does anyone have this problem. Is this related to lyme. Any suggestions.

Prayers.......Marsha

Old 02-08-2006, 11:10 AM   #2
Inactive

deejavu HB User
Re: Severe Dry Mouth

Hi Marsha,

So sorry to hear about Larry, that must be so upsetting for both of you. I don't know what causes the "dry mouth/throat"..... I never experienced that symptom but I am sure other members have.

Just wanted to give you my support. Maybe Larry would be interested in reading Dr. Jernigan's book since he doesn't want to get tested? It can't do any harm. Just a thought.

Prayers to you both,
Denise

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

battling on HB User

HI PS
I have read on forums that dry mouth can be put down to Lyme but its not one of the more promenant symptoms.

Chewing the probiotics has great effects on the mouths balancing levels of humidity.

anxiety class today we learnt that dry mouth can come form anxiety..

Anxiety rolls off from Lyme...

has Larry had anxiety atall?

I think my mum has Lyme and her mouth is dry every morning. Also hangover also infected eyes,
She is up 2 or 3 times a night loo and drink.

hope this helps.
cant get the Lyme passed my mum let alone the probiotics.

Jules xx

Last edited by battling on; 02-08-2006 at 12:34 PM.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Jules
I might get him to swollow a probotic but not chew one. I'll try. Thanks

Denise
I have been doing a little research on Dr Jernigans protocol. Will let you know if I can talk him into it.

Thanks Marsha

Old 02-08-2006, 06:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

outinthe_woods HB User
Talking Re: Severe Dry Mouth

I just went through this with my dentist the other day who said that between the meds and probiotics, my mouth has been so dry that only an hour after brushing my teeth (3 x a day!) I'd get that sludgy feel to my teeth again and constantly "thirsty"...

He put me on BIOTENE mouthwash to rinse out my mouth whenever it feels dry and I'm amazed at the difference after all these years...my docs just told me to drink MORE water.....and you know how much we drink daily!

This stuff is cheap and has really helped me a lot. It's OTC and only about $8.00 a bottle.....You might think about it - remember, it's a mouthwash, gargle and spit out! LOL

Gerri

Old 02-09-2006, 05:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

battling on HB User

HI Gerri
when poss could you give an update of whats in it?

Ive binned all chemical stuff and making do with salt wash ( spit yuk )

would love something a bit more friendly
thanks
Jules xx

Old 02-09-2006, 09:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

outinthe_woods HB User
Talking Re: Severe Dry Mouth

Hi, Jules!

I don't know how "chemically-banned" you are but here are the ingredients:
I haven't looked anything up for explicit explanations....

(Naturally sweetened with Xylitol - contains no saccharin)
Purified Water, Xylitol, Hydrogenated Starch Hydrosylate, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxethyl Cellulose, Aloe Vera, Natural Peppermint, Poloxamer 407, Calcium Lactate, Zinc Gluconate, Sodium Benzoate, Benzoic Acid, Potassium Thiocyanate

Natural Enzymes, Lactoferrin, Lysozyme, Lactoperoxidase, Glucose Oxidase. (to boost and restore the defense system found in your saliva. Together, they help provide harmful bacterial protection naturally.)

He recommended this also because I was concerned about losing the helpful bacteria while chewing the refrigerated Acidophilus to keep my digestive tract healthy.

I checked with ALL my docs who are well aware of my long history with Lyme and they all ok'd it, so I hope it can be on your "can do" list. I had already been taking Aloe Vera in the morning and have never had trouble with my digestive tract through all these years.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Gerribear
I bought some earlier today. Thats my valentine present to Larry. And it may be his all time favorite. Thanks for the tip.
Marsha

Old 02-09-2006, 10:19 AM   #9
(male)

dguy HB User

For me, the dry mouth is connected with digestion. Docs have been stumped. After years of trial and error, I've found a few things that help:

1) ginger (you can get it in capsule form, I take one capsule with each meal)

2) comfree (Solaray brand herbal product that contains algin and pepsin to help digestion)

3) probiotics (enteric coated work best for me)

4) anything else that decreases gut transit time

The only time I've been free of the dry mouth, and accompanying tongue and throat pain, is when I tried the subsequently-banned rx Propulsid. It cleaned out my gut and my symptoms disappeared. They came back after I stopped the med tho.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:32 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Dguy
Welcome to the lyme boards. You will have to tell us about yourself. Start a new thread so everyone will see it.

I will give these suggestions to my husband. Thanks for posting these. I wasn't even sure if any of the lymies would have this symptom.

Prayers....Marsha

Closed Thread