It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
Elevated liver enzymes again PLUS kidney damage

Here we go again ....

Got a letter from my LLMD this morning with my blood test results from last week.

Not only are my liver enzymes elevated again (highest levels so far - argh!!!) but for the second month in a row, my "eGFR" is less than 60. That indicates possible kidney failure.

I've done enough research on the web today concerning eGFR and kidney damage to scare the crap out of myself so no more research tonight.

Crap! Crap! Crap! Crap! Crap! Crap! Crap!

I did a bit of research and Tetracyclines have been known to harm the liver. Ok. That means that I stop the Doxy alltogether or lower the dose. That also rules out Minocin which is also a tetracycline.

I took my morning dose of Doxy (that was before mail arrived) but I'm not taking my evening dose. I don't know what I'll do tomorrow.

I'm still taking the Bicillin shots: 1200mg every other day.

I've tried Ketek, Ceftin, Omnicef and Doxy. Doxy was the only one that had any affect at all. Are there any abx left for me to try? Is Zithro an abx?

I'm going to take a bubble bath and have a glass of merlot - toxins be damned. Xena's ******.

Last edited by 6Blues; 02-25-2006 at 06:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2006, 07:43 PM   #2
(female)

earle HB User
Re: Elevated liver enzymes again PLUS kidney damage

ah, honey, i know exactly how you feel. my first doc gave me baixin. i only took it 2 weeks and my liver went crazy. enzymes went to 190 and i felt like crap. then he decided doxy. i told him i had a previoius reaction but i felt pressured to try it again. dang, not a good idea. my chest tightened up and my throat almost closed. so, i'm allergic to doxy, tetra, and can't take biaxin.

i felt like either screaming or killing somebody, namely me.

hang in there. maybe taking a break from everything will settle down. once i stopped biaxin, my enzymes went to normal.

the bath and a drink don't sound too bad. i mean, after all, what do you have to loose at this point?

hang in there, i'll be worried enough for both of us...........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks earle.

fyi: I had no wine in the house so I drank water instead. The bubble bath felt good but I'm still bummed.

Last edited by 6Blues; 02-25-2006 at 08:26 PM.

Old 02-26-2006, 07:09 AM   #4
Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi Mickie,

I'm so sorry to hear this. As you know, I don't believe in antibiotics, I was on them and only relapsed.

I don't know if you bought Dr. Jernigan's book, but what do you have to lose by trying his protocol for 3 straight months? Jeanne and I both are having fantastic results with his biological medicines.

Just a thought,
Denise

Old 02-26-2006, 07:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smyle HB User

Hi Mickie:

I'm sorry to hear your liver and kidney results weren't great. Zithromax is an antibiotic and I know they use it to treat lyme in kids. Have you tried I.V. with a hickman catheter? I think that is how they do Rocephin and by using the central line I think it bipasses the liver. I think it would still have effects on the kidneys but I am not sure. I am also thinking about doing Jernigans route, but I haven't decided. Good luck to you...

Frango

Old 02-26-2006, 07:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

battling on HB User

6 blues what a terrible time you are having, DJ has been doing natural and with brilliant results as written above.

Have you thought about a small doses of doxy backed up with cats claw.?

Jules xx

Old 02-26-2006, 07:34 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

lymegirl HB User

Hi Mickie

I'm so sorry about the elevated liver enzymes. How disappointing as I know you were feeling the doxy was working. I have concerns about the long term effects of abx but I tend to put that in the back of my mind. It's constantly there though.

I think Denise's suggestion about Dr J's book is a good one (I have the book and it is encouraging) and looking into the IV and if that would bypass the liver maybe that is the way to go. I had improvements on the IV in the short time I was on it. I know it is no one's first choice for sure. I wonder if the PICC line has the same ability to bypass the liver as the hickman?

There are some people on this board who are getting better using the natural route. Maybe better in the long run as far as health is concerned.

What does Dr E say? Keep us posted.

Thinking about you....

Kim

Old 02-26-2006, 02:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Ah Mickie, You are not in this alone. Hang in there. We all have our setbacks. Sometimes many at a time. But never lose faith or hope. You will beat this.
Marsha

Old 02-26-2006, 03:14 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear Mickie,

I am so sorry. You felt like you were back on track so I am sure this is disappointing to say the least. I guess you have to say that maybe this will lead to a better solution. Don't forget how bummed out Shanna was when she came off the IV. On to bigger and better things. I sometimes wondered why the doctor kept you on the same thing for so long. I'm sure she had her reasons. That's the problem. There just isn't enough info out there for these doctors to share and follow. I am sure there are plenty of abx that are liver friendly. I know somebody asked before and I have to tell you after 9 weeks on 2g of Rocephin thru a picc-line my enzymes went from 40 -743. Now that I know what that means I can understand why the doctor freaked out. I think giving your body a rest will help so don't be impatient. My ID doctor tested me for 2 weeks after stopping and then wanted to wait another month before giving me Doxy. This too will pass so hang in there.

Maureen

PS I told you I would tell you what Dr. Crist said about the Bicillin shots. The script reads:

See if local physican is willing to give Bicillin LA injections. 2.4 million units IM x 6 weeks. I get very good results using this for patients with borreliosis. If you are still improving at the end of the 6 weeks it would be a good idea to extend the weekly Bicillin LA until you stop improving. He wrote the script for an additional 2 refills.

It just dawned on me the IM is probably intra-muscular. I think gerribear did this for 6 months. She probably didn't have a non - sore spot on her body for a long time.

Old 02-26-2006, 08:17 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi everyone & thanks for the support! I needed to hear those encouraging words. I truly don't know what I'd do without you. You are angels on earth.

You know, things never seem so bad the next day. LOL. Human nature is a fickle beast.

A few things I've been thinking about:
>> I see my LLMD in 10 days. I lowered my Doxy dose to 400mg per day and I am ingesting the cleanest most organic foods I can find to lighten the load on my body. She'll test my blood again and we'll see how bad it looks.

>> I love the idea about trying Dr. J's protocol. Currently, I'm in an antibiotic state of mind (sounds like that Billy Joel song) but I will definitely be ready to order his products should abx turn out to be too harmful for me. Ordering the pale spike what-cha-ma-call-it is on my list of things to do. I haven't felt well enough lately to even pay bills or do my taxes.

>> I am currently attacking the Lyme in 3 ways:
1: Tindamax pulse to kill cysts
2: Doxycycline to kill bacteria using one method (bacteriocidal I think)
c: Amoxycillin to kill bacteria using another method (bacteriostatic I think)

I loved this treatment protocol because I felt I had all my bases covered and for the first time in over a year I felt like getting off the sofa and taking a shower. If it needs to be tweaked or change - oh well. I'll be OK.

I only take Bicillin IM 1.2 million units per injection which correlates to 600mg per day. I wonder if thats enough? I think I should increase it. I read that Mrs Ekim is on 3000 mg per day. Bicillin (Amoxycillin) does not affect the liver.

If I can tolerate a lower dose of Doxy, so be it, and I'll be grateful. Perhaps if I increase the Bicillin, it will counteract it.

Thank God I can come here and talk to you guys. My LLMD listens but I only see her once or twice a month for ten minutes and heaven knows my kids don't want to hear it!

FYI: These shots are torture. The needles are about 2 inches long!! I'm Ok with doing it but it takes me quite a long time to get up the nerve to actually stab it in there. Kind of like the "Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane?" philosophy. I use my upper thighs for injections and I alternate left and right legs. The medicine is really thick white gooey stuff and it takes a long time to push the plunger down and get it all in there. The spot where I inject is swollen, kinda hard and hurts like heck for about 2 days. Thats normal though. How funny what "normal" has become to me now. LOL!

Thanks again everyone. Peace and health to you my friends.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:06 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

lymegirl HB User

Mickie

So glad everything looks better today and you have a plan A & plan B. That's me too. My husband always cracks up when I say "what is plan B?" But I'm serious, I always need a plan or two.

Those shots sound terrible and all I can think is where do I sign up!! As strange as that sounds. I didn't know that even though they are an antibiotic they do not affect the liver. I am giving myself vit B12 shots daily (I have forgot the last 2 days) and they are the thinnest needle you can get and don't hurt at all. I don't like doing it and procrastinate all day, so I can only imagine how much you must dislike doing those shots. YUKKKK!

I will be waiting to hear your news and praying for you

Kim

Old 02-27-2006, 09:10 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Mickie
I just did some research on kidneys. The test I had done was a creatinine test. They do this every time they draw blood. Normal levels are .5 to 1.1. The older the person the lower the levels. Mine have been 1.2 for the last several times. Today it was 1.3. She is concerned. I am to do IV M & T then W do fluids, T & F IVs and Sat fluids. If the next creatinine test is still high she will change my daypro. (stronger than motrin & is filtered by kidneys)

and the clinda!! the worse med I have been on. makes roadkill feel like wk old road kill. So hard on the body. maybe kills to much to quick. makes nausea twice as bad.

Hope you are doing better. Hope all your "systems" are back to normal by the time you go back to dr. Take care and prayers....Marsha

Last edited by Pearlscale; 02-27-2006 at 09:11 PM.

Old 02-27-2006, 09:18 PM   #13
(female)

elr1227 HB User

I am fairly new to the abx scene. I started taking 3000mg Amoxicillin daily since January 10th. My LLMD has not ordered any blood work yet to evaluate Liver Enzymes. Is this something I should be overly concerned about?

Old 02-27-2006, 09:27 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Elr

If they draw blood they probably are doing these tests. If they are not drawing blood, then I think you should check on it. I have blood tests done every 2 wks. I am on IV meds but I don't think that would make a difference. When you are on meds that kill the lyme bacteria it puts extra work on the liver to filter it. Are you detoxing?
I take milk thistle. You can pick it up over the counter. It is good for cleansing the liver. You need to do all you can to help your liver and kidneys. Lots of water too.

Prayers...Marsha

Old 02-27-2006, 09:30 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Welcome elr1227.

To the best of my knowledge, Amoxycillin does not affect the liver. I get blood drawn every visit to my doctor. Her rules I guess. Are you seeing an LLMD (Lyme Literate Medical Doctor)?

If you start a new thread and share your story, folks will say hello and answer any questions you might have. Great bunch of folks here.

Closed Thread