It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2006, 03:48 AM   #1
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Bartonella vs Babeosis

What would be the difference in symptoms? I asked for a Babeosis test, not Bartonella. Now I'm wondering if I should have included that as well.

Old 03-21-2006, 04:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smyle HB User
Re: Bartonella vs Babeosis

Hi Peregrine:

There is a post from Jules in the lyme info thread at the top of this board that lists the symptoms very nicely. But, here is what Burrascano says about them;

Babesia-night sweats, air hunger, cough, pounding/skipping heartbeats, fever, chills, encephalopathy, imbalance without true vertigo.

Bartonella causes more central nervous system symptoms, agitation, anxiety, insomnia, seizures, cognitive deficits, confusion, gastritis, lower abdominal pain, sore soles of the feet especially in the morning, tendernodules in extremities, red rashes.

The tests for both can be inaccurate. Espicially Babesia which is basically "North American" malaria.

Frango

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2006, 05:26 AM   #3
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Frango,

Thanks so much for this!

Prema

Old 03-21-2006, 06:00 AM   #4
(female)

cind68 HB User

Thanks for writing that Frango.......I know I had/have?? Babesia...dna pos. but when they were doing all the testing Bartonella wasn't one on the list and I don't think I was ever tested. The Babesia was severe ...symptomwise I mean. ...but I do fit so well the bartonella ...need to be tested I guess. .....I have definitely been in denial......am not sure why I do that. I suppose because the alternative is acceptance and that I just refuse. .....at least as much as I can.

Old 03-21-2006, 06:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smyle HB User

Hi Cind 68- I don't think the tests for either are very reliable. I tested negative for both but am almost positive I have both.

Frango

Old 03-21-2006, 06:25 AM   #6
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frango
Hi Cind 68- I don't think the tests for either are very reliable. I tested negative for both but am almost positive I have both.

Frango
Frango, unreliable even at IgeneX. Has anyone here tested positive for these?

Old 03-21-2006, 06:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smyle HB User

Hi Peregrine:

Yes. quite a few of the people on these boards have either one or both. I spoke to Dr. Harris myself and he said based on my symtpoms to be tested for bartonella, but it was negative. I also have a lot of Babesia symptoms and the babesia tests are even less realible. Look up Burrascano's article from Sept 2005 he goes into test reliability, symptoms and treatment options for lyme and all the co-infections.

Frango

Old 03-21-2006, 09:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

brid HB User

hi guys! i did all the co infeccions, i tsted something for babesia, called doctor harris and did the FISH in babesia and was negative, so he told me my babesia test was negative, the babesia FISH is a very specific test, more sensible and expensive that the img, igg, the llmd i saw in ny wasnt sure if i had babesia, my doctors here doent think either.. so i guess the test helped me a little.. good luck

Old 03-21-2006, 09:43 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

I was tested at quest for babesia. It was a positive 2.4. I did see this test results. The test is for only two of the many strains. The others can not be tested for at this time.

I'm not sure about the bartonella. I was told it was positive, but I never saw the results. I have symptoms for both.

I was tested for lyme at Igenex and all results were indeterminate. This was the first time I had been tested at Igenex. (18 yrs ago my lyme test was positive, at that time they did not know about the co-infections)

Prayers....Marsha

Last edited by Pearlscale; 03-21-2006 at 09:47 AM.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:16 AM   #10
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Marsha,

Do you recall if the Babs test was called Babeosia FISH?

Old 03-21-2006, 10:22 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smyle HB User

Hi Peregrine:

FISH is a genetic test. It stands for fluorescence in situ hybridization This is a different test from the blood tests for Babesia. The blood tests look for antibodies. The FISH test looks for specific DNA markers. They put the blood on a prepared slide and add different fluorescent dyes that they then look at under an electron microscope. They have found different markers for different diseases and that is how FISH is done. It takes more prep time and the scope is expensive so this test costs more than to IgG and IgM antibody tests.

Frango

Old 03-21-2006, 11:44 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

Didn't know enough at the time to know the difference. Will check Thursday when I go.

Would guess from what Frango said, mine was one of the antibodies test. Marsha

Last edited by Pearlscale; 03-21-2006 at 11:47 AM.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:46 AM   #13
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Okay. However, many people (websites) talk about testing for Babesia FISH, in other words, they use the two words together. I just want to make sure I ask for the right tests on Wednesday. I was going for Bartonella and Babesia, but then I saw many suggestions to test for Babesia FISH so that is why I inquired. Maybe I'll just stick with Babs and Bart for now.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:42 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

brid HB User

hi peregrine, there are a few names for babesia at igenex... i had done 3, beause babesia was the co infeccion that concern me the most, there other 3 are treated with same antibiotics as lyme, while babesia is a parasite, and treated with antiparasites..if you are really concern, have the igg, igm and the fish, doctor harris suggest me doing the FISH, my doctor told me that the FISH test was a very sofistiocated one, since they use i think nuclear contrasts, i understand is more acurate than the babesia microti agg and igm, and since my igm showed some titer, doctor harris did the FISH, if yiou are goint to have blood work done at igenex, i would do the FISH as well, specailly if you are really concern, thats me
hugs

Old 03-21-2006, 01:07 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

battling on HB User

HI pere
i think you can have a full package total testing at Igenex. Near on £1000
but clarify befor eyou decide in case my costing sheet is not up to date.

jules xx

Closed Thread