It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2006, 06:17 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

brid HB User
bone marrow biopsy

hgi guys, just came from my doctor,he want to do a bone marrow biopsy to confirm brucelosis, for years i have been having this small fever, on and off and not normal blood tests in brucelas, doctors have never paid atention until last month when i start seeing this new doctor that made a point on that and sent ne out to this lab to get a special test, that didnt showed positive but not negative either, so besides lyme, is a suspipcion on that.. unfortunately is not a test that will tell you 100 percent and i need to trat it because is already cronic whatever it is, in the last 10 year on and off small fevers, but now is everyday...si i ask the doictor whats the point of doing the bone narrow, if it says positive you will treat me, but if it says negative you will treat me too, so whay put my self under more pain? and he said because if it shows negative, and you start treatment, if yiou cant tolerate i wont be that concern beause i am not sure if you have it, but if it shows positive, and you can tolerate the dose, i will encourage you not to stop..dont make too much sense for me but i think it does for him...so i guess i will do it.. have anybody have that done? can you see lyme bacterias in that? because i though if they are doing that i migh save some blood to send igenex maybe i can help to an acurate babesia test.. dont know... does it hursts too much??
thank you
hugs

Last edited by brid; 03-29-2006 at 06:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2006, 07:05 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

gottagetbetter HB User
Re: bone narrow biopsy

Brid ,

I have not heard of a bone marrow test for lyme or any co-infections. I have heard of a spinal tap for them which only shows 5% of cases.

I had to have a bone marrow biopsy for non-existing white counts. This was to rule out lymphoma not lyme disease. My bone marrow showed that it was hyper and that I had a chronic infection but that was all.

Unless they are trying to rule out cancer..then I would NOT have this test done. It was extremely painful (I have a lot of pain in the hip anyway from the lyme).

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.
~P

Old 04-03-2006, 07:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

I agree. Before I had this test done I would contact Dr Cameron and ask him his opinion. Youre dealing with Peru drs that are not familiar with lyme.
Prayers...Marsha

Old 04-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

brid HB User

hi p!!! the bone marrow i am having is for brucelosis... and check also why i still have little fevers..went today saw the needle and didnt do it, will try tomorrow, i dont have oain in my hip.. so it was painfull because you already had pain in your hip? or beause is too painful??? thank you!

Old 04-04-2006, 05:07 AM   #5
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Brid,

I haven't had the procedure myself, but I've also heard that it is extremely painful! Unless you feel that you are really going to have some resolution from this, I would carefully consider proceeding with it.

Best!

Prema

Old 04-04-2006, 07:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

battling on HB User

HI Brid

1st thing is are you pay for it, ? if so then coinsider do you relay need it? and then tell them NO unless they can produce papers to say it aids Lyme detection or! are they looking for something else?

2nd if you dont pay for it and insurance will, then will it leave you with any illness or disability is there any seriouse risk involved.?

3rd if theres no seriouse risk and you are not paying for it then if it was me i would take it.

I turn down nothing offered now that doesnt have any bad odds against me.

One day in your life you may have an illness that needs a bone marrow test done but now would of already had it tested, sometimes things can be stopped and helped if they are found early enough. Who knows what we have lingering.

If someone is willing to turn the stones to have a look in my body then send them to my house LOL.

The pain yes i can only imagine but the pain if something is not found could become so much worse.

its an individuals choice so i hope you do what ever is best for you and your body.
best of luck hun.
xx jules xx

Last edited by battling on; 04-04-2006 at 07:12 AM.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:39 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

gottagetbetter HB User

Brid ,

This test is definitely painful. Did they explain exactly what is done? That they insert a needle in to deaden the area...which just takes the top layer of pain off....then they actually go into the bone they draw the marrow out after screwing into the bone and then they actually take a piece of bone out also.

I had this done a year ago and still have issues. I am pretty tiny and now have issues with my hip and tailbone.

I have brucellois and it did not show up in my bone marrow biopsy.

Is this the ONLY reason why they are doing this test? You should be able to have a blood test done for this.

I would definitely research my options first. You can always have the test done but once you do it...you can't undo.

When I was searching for answers I know how desperate one becomes. Just remember when you have an invasive test like this done our bodies because we are chronically ill take a lot longer to heal.

If you do have this done MAKE SURE you have someone with you and they can drive you home also. They sprung this test on me at a visit...they were scared because my white counts were so low and were only getting lower. So I was not prepared to have someone with me and I got stuck driving home in tears.

Let us know what you decide to do!
~P

Old 04-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

brid HB User

hi p!! yes i had other brucelosis test, but blood test shos only antiboyes, and i have some, but not enoguh for the doctor to treat me... the bone marrow i am having, is the aspiration, they wont take any bone for the byopsy.. i went today to have it but ran away from the doctor!!! i dont know what to do!!! its my 4 day off doxy because of thet... doctor said in bone marrow for salmonella and brucella is 90 percent acurate.....and its been 9 month since i have the low fevers...they will check my bone narow too jst in case, because of my fevers..but the wont remove any bone tissue... is that still very painfull? how log the pain last?? it is unbereable? like what?? thank you sooo muich
hugs

Old 04-04-2006, 07:01 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

wackowoman HB User

Brid,

I know nothing about the test, just wanted you to know I am thinking of you and praying for wisdom so you will know what is right for you.

Jeanne

Old 04-04-2006, 08:44 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

brid HB User

thank you jeanne!!
hugs!

Old 04-05-2006, 05:55 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

gottagetbetter HB User

Brid ,

Morning! Yes weven without removing the piece of bone it is very painful. I am not trying to scare you but INFORM you.

It literally feels as if you are being pulled off the table. Very strange sensations. If you do have this done just make sure you have a friend or family member with you.

The one thing that helped me was my yoga breathing. They also told me to stay absolutley relazed (don't tighten the glutes) and to wiggle my toes during the procedure.

I hope this helps. Sending positive thoughts your way!!
~P

Old 04-05-2006, 06:15 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

brid HB User

hi p!!! but after that pain goes away?? or last for a long time...
hugs

Old 04-05-2006, 01:03 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

battling on HB User

GGB
what an awfull thing to present to someone unaware, thats up there with the worst treatment storys.
Its so thoughtless, i hope you get relief from time to time.
Have thye explained why teh pain or do you think its teh Lyme holding you back from healing? xx

Brid.
It is good that you know what it is they want to do, but it seems they dont realy know what they are looking for.

If it realy is a big concern and you could have it doen at a later date if possible, then why not stay on doxy longer, as it can take months to get a good responce.

I will be holding your hand what ever choice you make and I Hope you have another 20 as im sure every one will be.
Hugs
jules xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Closed Thread