It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2006, 10:41 AM   #1

member101 HB User
Lyme causing seizures?

Hi,

I had a full tonic-clonic seizure 3 months ago during a weekend of high activity, late nights, alcohol and not much food. About a month after that I had an EEG scan (taken after another similar weekend) which showed some indications of photosensitive epilepsy.

After reading something recently, I'm wondering whether Lyme disease would have caused this? I do a lot of orienteering and hiking all year around. About 2 years ago, I had a number of rash-like circles on my front and back which the doctor thought was ringworm. He prescribed a cream which had no effect, but the rashes cleared by themselves after 6 months or so.

I read that Lyme disease can affect the central nervous system years after being infected. I'm just wondering if this is true, and could it be a factor in my case? 2 years seems to be a long time and I don't want to mention it to the doctor in fear of being labeled a hypocondriac.

Any thoughts would be helpful!

Old 04-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smyle HB User
Re: Lyme causing seizures?

Hi Member101:

Welcome to the lyme board.

Yes, lyme can cause seizures like you described. I had a 48 hour eeg that showed activity most similar to seizure activity going on in my brain during the 48 hour period. Funny you should mention the photosensitivity issue since I am worse in the daylight and do have visual light sensitivity. I recommend you get tested for lyme by Igenex lab in CA. You can call them and they will send you the test kit. Have your Dr. sign off and they will send the results to he or she. Do not rely on tests by a traditional lab. Lyme is a clinical diagnosis. I have really bad tremors-I call them tremors, but people who see me have them think they look like epileptic shaking, but I am conscious the whole time. These episodes are d*****itely worse when I don't get enough rest. This month has been a little better, but I completely cut out sugar. Alchohol has a ton of sugar. If you have lyme you will not get better if you drink. All the experts agree on this. Sorry, probably the last thing you want to hear, but believe me, you do not want this to go further if it is lyme.

Hope this helps-

Frango

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2006, 03:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

battling on HB User

HI Memebr101
i have got some type of interference as i have vertigo attacks get wobbly vision and fall over, one time broke my foot in the prosses.

This Lyme will kick you any way it can. I lived a life not much worth livin. But as soon as i started antibiotics i got a result, and my body was telling me it was happy for the help.

If you suspect in any way that you may have lyme dont leave it any longer, get tested and even if negative try some treatment.

Doctors are the worst for hidding Lyme so be prepared for sceptisisum. And they dish out labels like they have shares in the stationery shop, but its all part of the course.

I mentioned it to my GP and as soon as its rare came up, i never mentioned it again, but i will when i have done 6 months antibiotics and i will stand there , the proof in the pudding.

Welcome to the board, its a proper home form home.
Loads of info and support.

Where are you based? then some one can advise your nearest LLMD

Jules xx

Old 04-19-2006, 03:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

dealer1111 HB User

I have had many seizures (shaking fits) from Lyme. It is terrable. I have not

had one since I have been on antibiotics.

Closed Thread