It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2006, 07:25 AM   #1
(male)

smitho HB User
Can lyme disease be sexually transmitted?

Hi Everyone.This might sound a silly question.but does anyone know if lyme disease can be sexually transmitted.?
cant seem to find anything on the net!

Smitho xxx

Old 04-24-2006, 08:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB Userjojo HB User
Re: Can lyme disease be sexually transmitted?

HI SMITHO...I HAVE READ THAT IT HAS BEEN TRANSMITTED SEXUALLY...I HAVE READ THAT KISSING CAN TRANSMIT IT..AND THAT IT CAN BE SPREAD BY DRINKING OR EATTING OFF OF SOMEONE ELSES UTINSILS...BUT MY SWEETIE IS FINE...MAYBE IT JUST DEPENDS ON THE OTHER PERSONS IMMUNE SYSTEM. I KNOW THIS WON'T HELP JUST THINK THERE IS STILL ALOT OF CONTROVERSERY ABOUT THIS...HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY....

Last edited by geminigirl55; 04-24-2006 at 08:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2006, 08:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smyle HB User

Hi Smitho:

The lyme experts were recently asked this question at a lyme convention. The jury is still out but they lean towards "no" it can not be transmitted sexually for a few reasons. First off, the lyme bacteria is like the syphillis bacteria, but not exactly. If lyme was like syphillis then one shot of IM penicillin and you would be cured. Also, syphillis is easier to diagnose on blood tests. If lyme were sexually transmitted then it would be much, much more prevalent than it is and you wouldn't see clusters of lyme in the northeast and uppermidwestern united states like you do. I know you are in the U.K, I don't know the epidemiology of the U.K. and Europe, but I would bet there are areas where lyme is more prevalent than in other places.

Also, there seems to be the need for lyme to go through the parasite-host chain to transmit the bacteria. You need to have that middle step of the white-footed mouse, or deer or whatever it may be. Lastly, the experts believe that when whole families have lyme it is due more to them being in the same envronment than that is is passed human to human with the exception of mother to child. Lyme can be passed through the placenta and through breast milk.

There was a study done in lyme endemic areas where they tested all biting insects for Bb-the bacteria that causes lyme; ticks, mosquito's flies, fleas, gnats, spiders you name it they tested them and they found that over 20% carried the Bb bacteria. Certain insects like gnats swarm, so imagine that a swarm is feeding on an infected deer or mouse and then they move on into your backyard where they bite you, your spouse, kids etc. If 20% of those bugs have the bacteria...? My family will be wearing a lot of bug spray from now on.

Frango

Old 04-24-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User

My hubby of 18 years shows no sign or symptoms of lyme. He has been tested and he has no antibodies. I've had lyme all the time that I've known him.

I wonder about my kids though. They seem okay, but then the smallest unexplained symptom they have I worry that they have lyme.

Old 04-25-2006, 04:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

dealer1111 HB User

I believe I gave Lyme to my wife. She is positive.

Old 04-25-2006, 02:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

battling on HB User

Lyme is found in tears
passed to babies in uto
passed in blood transfusion

There is also a site that advises do not share drinking bottles.

So why they say it can't be passed sexually is beyound me.

The only other way i can think couples have cross over is, kissing. As reference to the donot share drinking bottles. spital is obviously a carrier as much as tears.

Jules xx

They said you couldnt get mad cows disease by eating cow too.

Last edited by battling on; 04-25-2006 at 02:29 PM.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:30 AM   #7
Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi all,

I have always thought that Lyme can be transmitted sexually, it's just plain common sense in my eyes.

Those lyme spirochetes are very active and sneaky, how can they not be transmitted? No, there is no scientific proof about this as of yet, but some Lyme doctors do believe it can be sexually transmitted.

We also have couples on this board where either the husband or wife became infected with Lyme, makes one think, right?

I just wouldn't rule it out and if you are married or sexually active, please use protection as we don't need more infected people.

Denise

Closed Thread