It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
(female)

ddboles HB User
A tick years ago...

Hi again everyone. I feel kinda bad continuing to ask so many questions but you all have been so helpful and so knowedgeable, this is obviously the fastest way for me to find out what I need to know... so here's what's on my mind tonight... LOL

I am going to the DR tomorrow and I was racking my brain trying to think of any time I might have had a TICK encounter that I might have forgotten about. Lo, and behold... I remembered I DID indeed have a tick embedded in my scalp when I was a child... probably more than 20 years ago.

Is it possible that the symptoms (twitching nerves, TMJ, bladder issues) could just be showing up from a tick that long ago or am I really struggling to make a tick connection here? LOL

Just curious... thanks for your help as always!

Donna )

Old 05-02-2006, 04:15 AM   #2
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Re: A tick years ago...

Donna,

My tick bites were about 30 years ago, but full blown symptoms didn't start until 13 years ago and I recently tested positive for active Lymes. I think that the disease can lie dormant, or only produce sporadic syptoms, before triggering a more debilitating state.

Prema

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2006, 05:07 AM   #3
(female)

dianneom HB User

Prema, Have you found a Dr. in the Philly area?

Old 05-02-2006, 05:24 AM   #4
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianneom
Prema, Have you found a Dr. in the Philly area?
Hi,

I live in New York and I do have a doc here. Check the stickys at the top for an LLMD in Philly.

Prema

Old 05-02-2006, 05:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smyle HB User

Hi ddboles:

I actually don't ever remember ever, ever having a tick embedded in me. I did have a rash as a kid-big circles all over my legs and torso that were never explained. I live in and travel to very tick endemic areas. Lyme can lie dormant.

Also, they did a study in lyme endemic areas on all biting insects. Flies, fleas, spiders, gnats etc, and found that over 20% carried the Bb bacteria.

Frango

Old 05-02-2006, 06:10 AM   #6
(female)

dianneom HB User

Prema, My mistake, the location at the top of your post is Philly so I figured you live there.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear ddboles,

Welcome to the site. Sorry you feel the need to be here.

First off, please do not feel guilty about amount or length of posts. We have all been there and done that. My first post was so long I had to cut some of it down because you are only allowed 10,000 characters per thread. I am the resident novelist I guess.

I don't ever remember being bitten by a tick not did I have the rash. I had 2 tests run for lyme through Quest and both came back negative (CDC standards) with just band 25 showng reactive. My PCP questioned why even one showed reactive and sent me to an ID doctor.

He didn't think lyme but something made him put me on an IV of rocephin which had to be pulled 9 weeks later because of liver enzymes. I had been told for 4 years I had MS but with no real proof so never started medicine for it. Thank God.

The IV helped so we knew we were on the right track. Unfortunately during the MS diagnosis the neuros put me on 1,000 mg steroids/day for 4 days and that really fouled up my immune system and let the lyme gain a real hold on my system. Until the steroids nothing had changed for over 18 months. Post steroids it has been downhill ever since. I won't bore you and the others with my story but maybe if you are interested you can punch in my board name (or anybody else's for that matter) and you can pull up my/our story.

My ID doctor was not lyme literate and probably didn't know about the co-infections although I am grateful he at least tried to help. I now see Dr. Crist in Missouri and travel 8 hours one way every 4 months to see him. I hope he will be able to "cure me".

Enough about me. I wanted to ask if you have been going thru any kind of stress? This is a key for bringing lyme to the forefront. I was hiking in Maine 2 months before symptoms showed but who knows maybe it really had been years since I had been bitten and my immune system was handling it until my husband lost his job and a close friend died. I will never know.

Search your mind for any little thing that might have set this off. The sooner you are treated the better the results. Right now I am just fighting to get back to walking because of the length of time it took to discover what my problems were. This disease is curable but it puts up one heck of a fight to survive.

I did discover months after joining this site that sinus infections can show up at the beginning of this and when I looked back I did have a sinus infection when we returned from Maine. Please come here frequently and contribute, ask questions, or just lurk. You will find many helpful people and lots of info.
Good luck with your PCP. If he/she is good maybe you can get your bloodwork done thru Igenex and then he/she can work thru an LLMD. I only have to see Dr. Crist every 4 months but can do a phone consult too. The main thing is to be diagnosed with or without lyme thru a knowledgeable lab and doctor. Since the test is flawed you need both. Good luck and keep us posted.

Maureen

Old 05-02-2006, 07:05 AM   #8
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianneom
Prema, My mistake, the location at the top of your post is Philly so I figured you live there.
Oh, so it is. I just tried to change it but there seems to be some glitch that prevents me from doing so.

Closed Thread