It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2006, 08:12 PM   #16
Veteran

fm5 HB User
Re: What is Going on Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim1111
I am from PA I know of over 40 people with Lyme...
This is outrageous! When is our state and local governments going to treat this disease for what it really is - an epidemic. I believe in many states on the east coast it is an epidemic.

Old 06-17-2006, 04:35 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(male)

dealer1111 HB User

It is really bad. I know over 40 people with it. No one is healed. Most on antibiotics. Most lives changed for the worst.

And yet it seems no one cares about this lyme thing unless your effected. Well I hate to say it but we need someone big to be taken down by this to get the word out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #18
Veteran

fm5 HB User

I tend to believe the reason for the apathy might be that most people who aren't familiar with the disease think "oh, it's just a tick bite. You get a rash and some uncomfortable symptoms and that's it. No big deal."

As I mentioned before, from the people that I know who have had it, I have heard horrific things, again, some of them as I mentioned:

The guy who I worked with that had to give up his position because he had neurological problems from lyme, mainly memory loss. He was the one who went out to the parking lot after work and couldn't remember what his car looked like (he was only in his late 40's early 50's.)

Others - on disability from severe obsessive compulsive disorder.

My sister's dog - who was unable to even get up and walk before he was treated for lyme (mind you, the dog at the time was only about 2 years old).

To me, these are HORRIFIC symptoms! This is not a "mild" disease. And I feel our local and federal governments should be doing much more about it.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:03 AM   #19
(female)

srocc20655 HB User

I agree with you. This is scary. I live in Michigan - where there is supposedly "no lyme disease". The doctors wouldn't even listen to me. They didn't even pay attention to the fact that I travel all the time. I even went to an Infectious Disease Dr. and she told me to get lost because my Western Blot didn't have enough bands. I have seen Dr. after Dr. in the Detroit area and they would not take me seriously. I finally called the Michigan Lyme Disease Assn. and they gave me the name(s) of some LLMD. There are only 2 or so in Michigan. Luckily one got me in to see him right away. I owe him my life.

I really feel sorry for you guys that live in areas where it is an epidemic. Something HAS GOT TO BE DONE. When I am better I plan on pursuing this with legislators here in Michigan.

Good luck and I share your frustration.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:31 AM   #20
(male)

JIM DRIVINSUN HB User
Talking Re: What is Going on Here?

HEY FM5, THIS STUFF IS AN EPIDEMIC.
I HAVE A LOT OF THE SYMPTOMS THE GUY YOU USED TO WORK WITH HAS.
I HAVE LYME SHAKES IN MY BODY AND HEAD. EXTREME DIZZINESS AND FATIGUE.THE DISORIENTATION IS SO MUCH THERE THAT MY SHORT TERM MEMORY IS NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE.
I TOO HAVE WALKED OUT OF A STORE AND COULD NOT REMEMBER WHAT PART OF THE PARKING LOT THE TRUCK WAS PARKED IN.
I WAS IN COST CO. GETTING READY TO RING UP AND I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO PASS OUT. I HELD THE CARRAGE TIGHT AND TRIED TO HOLD ON UNTIL I CAME TO. EVERY THING WENT ALMOST BLACK AND LOOKED LIKE A PICTURE NEGATIVE. WHAT EVER HAPPEN TO THE GOOD OLD DAYS WHEN YOU COULD TAKE A PILL FOR ALMOST ANYTHING AND BE DONE WITH IT IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS. I KNOW THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT REALLY KNOW WHAT THIS IS. TOO MANY PEOPLE HAVE THIS DEBILITATING DISEASE. KEEP ON KICKIN' IT. PEACE. JIM DRIVINSUN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fm5
A Very Serious Question about Lyme Disease

I live in New Jersey where there is a high prevelance of lyme disease. I literally know about 15 people who have been diagnosed with it. Both of my sisters dogs have had it as well. And these are just those people/animals who have been properly diagnosed. I am sure there are many others out there who have lyme and have not been diagnosed.

I have seen all kinds of devastation from this debilitating disorder. Some examples:

A guy who I used to work with had to leave his former position because his memory was failing badly (lyme had attacked him neurologically). For example, he mentioned a story where he had gone out one night after work to find his car and couldn't even remember what it looked like. Mind you, this guy is only in his late 40's early 50's.

I know two friends of mine who were diagnosed with lyme and are suffering severe o.c.d. (obsessive compulsive disorder) to the point where they are both on disability. Lyme has been known to cause o.c.d.

My sister couldn't figure out what was wrong with her dog when it would automatically stop walking in the middle o the street and had to lay down. (She thought it was because the dog's paws were cold.) One day, the dog couldn't even get up to walk at all. Mind you, this dog was only 2 years old. She brought him to the vets. You guessed it: lyme disease.

My question is the following: I seriously feel that for me (an average citizen) to have known at least 15 people around me who have lyme disease and who have sufferred horrendously because of it - is far to many. And again, these are people who have been diagnosed. I am sure many more have it and don't know. My opinion is, is that this is an epidemic. Why hasn't there been an outcry to state and federal health agencies and social service agencies to do more about this horrendous disease? And I mean, there should be free testing available at different sites in many hard hit communites, and education available as to all aspects of this disorder, and, last but not least, there should be extensive research done on how to safely exterminate these things from the environment.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:27 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pearlscale HB User

NC is not any better. The news tonight told there had been less than 50 cases of lyme in the past year in NC. I thought, yeah, right. How many more that didn't pass CDC's standards. I'm hoping that Jemseks case will make the CDC make some changes. I guess its a wait and see game.
Prayers....Marsha

Closed Thread