It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2006, 07:21 AM   #1
(female)

wmjsease HB User
symptoms in kids

I was just wondering. What are the symptoms of lyme in kids? I have a 14 year old son that has a lot of stomach trouble, inattention, forgetfulness, etc. I know some of it is age related, but he's really bad sometimes with forgetting things. He's been diagnosed with ADHD, but we have tried every medicine on the market to no avail. He is currently seeing a gastroenterologist, who thinks he may have celiac disease. He also has a lot of sinus, and asthma trouble. He is on a lot of asthma meds and has only had one mild asthma attack. He is being sent to another allergist for this because the meds that he is on will not stop all of the drainage and coughing. I know he got bit by something almost 2 years ago, because I took him to the family doctor after it happened because he had a big circle like thing around the bite. The doctor said it could be a tick bite and tested him for lyme, but it came back okay. We are with a new pediatrician now, one that I can really talk to and listens to me. I think I'm going to ask him to send my son to Jemsek. I have my appointment on Tuesday. So I'm going to ask them too. What do you all think? Somethings got to give. I have to keep repeating myself all of the time just to get him to focus and pay attention. He failed all of his subjects this year. He has never been really good in school, but this is his worst yet. Any advice given would be great. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2006, 07:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: symptoms in kids

Hi wmjsease. I am sorry your son is having difficulties. I agree that he should be evaluated for Lyme disease by a knowledgeable doctor. A bulls-eye rash is a definite sign of Lyme diseae. The rash alone merits treatment. No Lyme test is completely reliable and most people test negative early in the infection.

Good luck with your appointment on Tuesday. Let us know how it goes okay? You may ask if they could treat your son. I am not sure if Dr. J. treats children. If he does not, Dr. Charles Ray Jones in New Haven, CT is the best Lyme pediatrician in the country. He sees patients from all over and has helped many children.

Old 05-28-2006, 08:24 AM   #3
(female)

wmjsease HB User

thanks for the reply. He does treat children, if they are over 12. Hopefully that's what it is and they can get it treated and things will start improving for him.
Do you know if they will possibly start any kind of treatment on my first appt. I don't know if I can wait until July 15 to get help. I am going armed with all kind of mris, ct scans, lab results, etc. Everything that I can get. The only thing is that I don't really know what the dates are for the symptoms. My main symptom is lightheadedness, and foggy feeling in head along with chest pain. This has been here for almost 6 years, with the last year getting really bad. I'm going to write down everything that I can remember.

Old 05-28-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi wmjsease. Are you seeing Dr. J. on Tuesday? What is July 15th? I think it is really hard to say if he will start you on treatment immediately or not. I think it is possible. I guess it depends on what he feels you have (Lyme or Lyme and co-infections) after taking your history and whether or not he thinks he should wait for test results to decide what treatment would be best.

It is good to bring all your previous test results with you. Just remember you are seeing an excellent doctor and you will be getting the best care possible. That is half the battle.

Old 05-28-2006, 08:54 AM   #5
(female)

wmjsease HB User

yep I go this Tuesday for my initial appt. with one of the nurse practs. July 15 is my follow up to discuss everything. That's a long time to wait, as I have not been able to drive for about 3 months, and I have 3 children who are out of school for the summer and like to go places. My husband works long hours and cannot take them many places either. I feel bad because they are having to suffer and sacrifice because of my illness. They understand that I don't feel good, but it's not easy on them. I'll keep you posted.

Old 05-28-2006, 10:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi wmjsease.

I am so sorry to hear that your son's ill. I agree that you should have him tested, if only to rule out Lyme.

Its tough enough to be a kid nowadays but with illness on top of everything, its even tougher. And its hard on you too to be stressing about him.

My kids also love to be out and about. We usually go to a ton of places during the summers. We always went to a local beach here every weekend. Its our special place.

Last summer I was so sick, I couldn't get off the couch. I could barely walk upstairs to use the bathroom. I couldn't hold a conversation. I was in bad shape.

We didn't do anything during that time. I felt so guilty! My poor kids! The were really affected by my not being able to do anything.

My kids and I have come a long with this disease. At times they were very angry and acted out at me. Other times they cook and clean and do laundry.

When I did manage to go out (grocery shopping, etc) I tried to get treats, games, puzzles, etc, for them and I would hide them when I got home.

A few days/weeks later when they were bored or mad or sad, I would tell them to go to the hiding place and get a snack or a game that I bought.

Some of it was fun cheap stuff, like silly string. I didn't care if my lawn turned blue - my kids were laughing and not at each others throats.

Other things I got were water guns, a music CD, a movie, a board game or a junk food snack that they aren't usually allowed to have. I found this stuff in my grocery store.

I also encouraged them to spend time with their friends. They learned to pick up the phone and call a friend and ask to spend the day with them. The other parents did the driving 'cuz they knew I was sick and they didn't mind at all.

You'll get through. Try not to worry. Concentrate on health. The kids will be just fine.

I hope Dr. J can help your son. You're a good mom to take him there. Let us know what happens.

Peace and health to you and your family.

Closed Thread