It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2006, 06:06 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smyle HB User
To Wackowoman- a brain question

Hi Jeanne:

I noticed in Mickies thread about sleep you mentioned that your temporal lobes can't filter out information.

I am curious as to which part of your brain Dr. J thought was not functioning and if it was from lyme or a co-infection?

On my 48 hour EEG the temporal lobes were where they saw the abnormalities. A slowing on the EEG. I can tell that these issues are still going on.

It is very, very hot here this weekend (90's) and I know you had said that you felt too bad to be out in the heat last summer. Yesterday was a bad day for me with episodes of feeling like my brain was not functioning properly. I can't really explain it or describe it, but I thought you might know what I mean and have some insight.

I am thinking about adding Borrelogen and CNS/PNS into what I am taking, and maybe even looking into a phone consult with Dr. J.

Frango

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2006, 03:32 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

wackowoman HB User
Re: To Wackowoman- a brain question

Frango,

I had a brain scan in the Amen clinic because of the little zappy seizures I was having (I would get waves of dizziness with them). Dr. David wanted me to get some sort of MRI because no matter what he did they would not go away. Unfortunately not many people know how to read brain scans. The Amen clinic has more brain scans on record than anyone else in the United States (that is what I read anyway). An excellent book that is an easy read but extremely informational is Dr. Amen's book, "Change your Brain, Change your life." It explained so much of what was happening to me.

Michael was looking at the newspaper one day and saw that a Dr. Amen was in town talking about the brain. So he went and was so impressed with him we made an appt. to have the SPECT scan done. That is how I leaned that my temporal lobes had moderate damage. They could not filter out stimulation, so I would get these little zappy seizures because I was constantly on overload. This stirred up my limbic system which is where I had severe brain damage (that is the center that controls hormones and sleep - that explained a lot). The more stimulus I get the less I sleep (and as you know I donn't sleep great to start with).

Dr. Amen told Dr. David that my brain looked like a near drowing victim. The dr. at the amen clinic said that my brain looked like other Lyme patients they had scanned.
But I had to get the ammonia out of my brain before it could heal. So I went back to Kansas. Dr. David tested me and no surprise, found ammonia in my brain (not in my liver or heart anymore - yeah!) Without the brain scan Dr. David had been trying to sedate my brain, but according to the SPECT scan the temporal lobes needed to be stimulated (they weren't filtering out normal stimulus because they were underactive). So he worked on detoxing me to get the ammonia out. I still had to go on Lamictal to stimulate the temporal lobes. I hoped not to have to go on med's, but it is helping me, so I am claiming it as a miracle and blessing it as I take it. (Dr. David and his staff has also been a miracle in my life).

And what caused the damage was from the ammonia so was definitely Lyme,( I didn't have co-infections.)

And about the heat - you are right, it is impossible to explain, but the brain is just not functioning. In the miracles book I am reading the author says that one cannot explain pain to another person, there are no words to describe it. That was how it was in my brain, not words to describe how crazy I felt. And at that time I didn't know about the brain damage so I thought I was deranged. It was awful. Now I know just how much damage the ammonia was causing.

Both Dr. David and the brain Dr. assure me that my brain will definitly heal. How long it will take is up in the air.

You know how sometimes people say, wow, I am so off today? That is a good day for me. I am beyond off on a bad day. Example: I will say cow for chair. Now I immediatly know that this is wrong, and if you give me a second (well, longer than a second) I will get it right. But normally the person I am talking with will jump in and answer for me. Clerks in the grocery stores will look at me weird when I cannot count money fast enough. I look normal, but I don't act nomal. I want to scream at them to just give me a minute, I am not stupid, just slow. Very frustrating.

The CSN/PNS sounds like an extra formula for you because it breaks down the ammonia so the liver can get rid of it. If it were me I would just start with that, then later start with the Borrelogan. If you had a phone consutation with Dr. David then he could advise you on what would be good for you to take (he know understands what underactive temporal lobes can do!) If you called him be sure and mention my name, I have told him my user name so he will recognize it! (Dork Dad and Wackowoman - quite a combination).

so sorry this is so long, but I really wanted to try and answer your question!

Hope this helps.
Jeanne

p.s. We have already had some 90 degree days this year and I have handled them normally! Another miracle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread