It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
(female)

Jarlena HB UserJarlena HB User
Unhappy Lyme & Lower Back Pain

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has experienced the sudden onset of excruciating lower back pain. I have had Lyme for almost 16 years, was late diagnosed, and have currently been experiencing a surge of symptoms since I've been off antibiotics for several years now, but nothing as painful and incapacitating as this. I am really scared that something is very wrong. I'm only 32 and I feel almost as if I can't move because the pain is so bad. Do you think it will get better with antibiotic treatment, or is this permanent damage. The pain is so sharp when I move that it has begun to radiate down to my hips and thighs and I currently don't even have a Lyme doctor to go to to help me. Can anyone offer any suggestions or advice. I am really getting scared because if I sit for a little while I become so stiff that I feel like I cannot move and if I do the pain is horrendous. I have never had back pain in my life and despite being so ill for so long, have always somehow managed to hold on to my mobility, so this is pretty terrifying.

I live in NJ and have had a hard time finding a good doctor who doesn't have a wait list, or charge $1,000 upon walking in the door. Please help, I'm so scared and I'm not really sure what to do.

Thank you,
Dee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2006, 08:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Lyme & Lower Back Pain

Hi Dee. I am sorry you are in so much pain. Did it happen suddenly or has it gotten worse over time?

It sounds like you have not had treatment in a long time. There are some excellent Lyme doctors in NJ. I know of ones in Jackson, West Caldwell, and Howell. Would you like one of their names?

I hope this pain passes for you soon. Do you think it could be a pinched nerve or something? Maybe you should see a doctor tomorrow to rule out other possibilities. If it is Lyme related, you definitely can get better with proper treatment. Hang in there okay?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
(female)

Hi Ticker,

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, I believe it is very Lyme related. It came on gradually at first, upon waking one morning I noticed my back was stiff and then it started to hurt and it just kept getting progressively worse. It's really awful though because the last few days I feel like I can hardly move and it's starting to spread into my upper legs. Ive had many Lyme flares over the years and I do get boughts of Fibro interspersed with transient muscule/joint stiffness and pain, but nothing like this. I know I've been off meds for too long. About 6 years ago my doctor retired and back then I thought I 'was cured' ha ha....I dodn't feel like taking those pills anymore, so I went solo for a long time just doing the diet and supplement/alternative medicine thing. But I noticed I really started going down hill lately...all kinds of things, neuro, fibro, vision problems, shortness of breath, heart problems, cognitive, depression, low libido...to name a few. I guess a part of me has always tried to deny that I am sick and thoght I could just "get by" but I realize I can't do that anymore. I would definitely like know of any doctors you think might be able to help me and that come recommended by this board. I actually did go to see Dr. Eiras a few times, but she didn't want me on antibiotics because she told me my candida was out of control and didn't want to aggravate it. But I am in serious need of medication now, there is no getting past it. I would really appreciate the recommendation. Until then, thanks so much. I have been on and off this board over the last years. Mostly just read and never post but I'm sure glad that all of you are out there. You are the only reason I feel less alone and like there is something to hold onto when you feel yourself slipping into the painful void of this horiible illness.

Much love and thanks,
Dee

Last edited by Jarlena; 06-04-2006 at 09:45 PM.

Old 06-05-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

lymegirl HB User

Dee

Your back pain sounds terrible. Would it help to go to a chiropractor to get some temporary relief until you can start the abx? Since you had lyme years ago I think you do need to get to a LLMD.

When did you see Dr Eiras? How does she know you have Candida? I see her also and I know it is not a long time to get an appointment. There is a Dr S in Howell who comes highly recommended, who sees friends of mine as well as some on the boards. That is another option if you want to see someone else. His rates are reasonable too and I don't think wait time is very long.

Why can't you start abx and work on the candida in the meantime? I think it is important to get at these problems since your symptoms are so dibilatating.
I am on the candida diet, and I know others who take diflucan to kill yeast. I didn't have a test to determine candida, but what feeds the yeast feeds the bacteria, and since I have an advanced stubborn case of lyme I am following that diet. Hope it helps. The book I have for the candida diet is the best one I have found is The complete Candida Yeast guid***** revised 2nd edition by Jeanne Marie Martin. It has food lists avoid, occasionally & good and recipes.

I hope you feel better soon and let us know how you are doing.

Kim

Old 06-05-2006, 03:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi Dee.

I am sorry to hear about your back pain.

I see Dr. E also. Maybe you can call her and tell her how bad it is? I'm sure she can help you.

A few things that I've heard help with the pain are accupuncture, chiropractic and massage therapy.

I did the 30 day candida diet - it was so hard to do! But it didn't help me at all.

I hope you get relief soon.

Old 06-11-2006, 08:43 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Italian Lymbie HB User

Been there, done that one as well. Believe my herniated discs were from Lyme. Don't just go to any chiropractor, please. Anyone who turns you on your side is a quack who only wants you back for repeat biz, setting you up to continue to come back. Undiagnosed for 30 years here with Lyme. Only chirorpractor I know (possibly in the country?) who can help with lyme and knows what he's doing, almost died himself from lyme is close to me. My regular GP was directing me to a neurosurgeon which I immediately blew off, great choice cause this guy helped me, got me through it completly. Usually from what I understand, T-11 & T-4 will be out when the bugs are out feasting which makes it more excruciating.........that one comes from experience as well. What part of Jersey are you from?

Old 06-11-2006, 07:01 PM   #7
(male)

arg HB User

I think you should get an M.R.I. of your spine, If thats ok then it may be lyme.

Al

Old 06-11-2006, 07:01 PM   #8
(male)

arg HB User

I think you should get an M.R.I. of your spine, If thats ok then it may be lyme.

Al

Old 06-11-2006, 08:00 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smyle HB User

I agree with arg.

It may be spinal stenosis which is a narrowing of the spinal column which can then put pressures on the nerves in the spine and cause those pains that you describe that run down the legs. This has been associated with lyme.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:17 AM   #10
(female)

Thank you all so much for your replies. I have not had access to my computer for a few days or I would have responded sooner. I am usually pretty good at deciphering what is or isn't something happening in my body being caused by the Lyme, and I am more than positive this one is. Like all my other joint-related pains, it came on suddenly, but is sticking around with a vengeance. a few Advils keeps me mobile, but when they wear off the stiffness and sharp pain sets in. My lower back is swollen on the right side close to my hip, but even just sitting creates pain that goes across my entire back. I've been putting off going back to a doctor because they are all so damn expensive and I don't have any money for tests that are not covered by insurance right now. I'm in central Jersey and still looking for someone reputable here who can treat me. I think I really need to get back on antibiotics. In response to the person who mentioned candida, I have a systemic problems with that as well and no treatment Ive tried in the past 10 years (I cant believe its been that long) has worked except for extreme diet restrictions and I just cant live like that all the time.

Anyway, if anyone knows any conditions that Lyme might cause in the spine or back, please let me know. You would think I'd been through this before, but crippling back pain is a new one for me. Also, it doesn't feel like a muscle sprain or disk related, but more like a pinched nerves from inflammation and severe stiffness.

Thanks to everyone who responded. It can feel so very lonely sometimes dealing with all of this.

thank you,
Dee

The Following User Says Thank You to Jarlena For This Useful Post:
Rosary1 (01-04-2012)
Old 06-13-2006, 12:53 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Dee.

Just checking with you to see how you are doing with the back pain.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:31 PM   #12
(female)

Hi,

Thanks so much for checking in on me....as far as the pain, it comes and goes. Last night the stiffness and swelling was so bad, I could barely walk and even resting in one position for 30 seconds caused unbelievable stiffness and discomfort, so I took advil round the clock. (Something I hate to do, but this has probably been the worst pain Ive ever experienced with this disease). Then today seems a little more manageable. I actually made an appointment with Dr. S in Howell, NJ for the end of this month. I need to start getting some serious treatment as soon as possible. It's been so long. I know that in recent years there have been so many more books written and articles posted on what we can do to help ourselves but Ive been out of the loop for so long, I dont even know where to begin. Boy is pain sure a wake-up call!

Thanks again,
Please keep in touch and let me know how you are

Old 06-13-2006, 03:26 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh - I forgot to mention.

Some folks with Lyme have found pain relief using essential oils. I tried Raindrop therapy using those for my loss of balance.

Closed Thread