It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2006, 09:18 AM   #1
(male)

jeff1 HB User
Tick byte and swollen lymph node?

My wife and I pulled 2 ticks off my 6 year old daughter about a week ago. They were on her scalp. Both large ticks, not small deer ticks. One was hanging on tight and a small piece of skin came off with it. The other was hanging in her hair at the time we found it. While making sure that was all there was, we did see a couple of red spots slightly larger than the ticks on her scalp a couple inches apart...

She has been fine since then. No noticable symptoms. Until tonight when we noticed a small lump on the left side of her neck below ear, about halfway between ear and shoulder. It is more than just the half pea size lymph nodes I have always felt around her neck since she was a baby. It is between 1/4 and 1/2 inch and round. This is the first time we have noticed it. Not sure how long it has been there.

Has anyone seen this type of reaction from a tick byte? With no other symptoms (no fever, etc.).

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Tick byte and swollen lymph node?

Hi Jeff, welcome to the board!

How were the ticks removed from your daughter? Did you save the ticks? If you did, they can be tested for disease.

The lymph swelling could be a sign of infection. I think she should be seen by a doctor. If she does have a tick-borne infection, the sooner proper treatment begins the better. It is important to see a knowledgeable doctor because many doctors do not understand Lyme disease. Besides Lyme, ticks can transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected, and it may affect treatment choice and progress.

Below is a Lyme disease symptom list. Someone who is infected can have any combination of symptoms. Swollen glands can be a Lyme and/or Bartonella symptom.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production: breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach
Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

Where are you located? Let us know and we can tell you of the closest Lyme doctors to you that we know of.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi jeff1.

I hope your daughter is OK. Better get it checked to be safe.

Old 06-13-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

brid HB User

hi jeff! i agree with ticker, swollen lymph nodes means infecction , can be ause by any infecction, but because you mention those ticks, would be better to have her tested as soon as posible... if she has lyme, she will be fine because that happens just last week, when you get tratment with in a month, you can fully recover with 6 weeks of doxy, good luck!!!

Old 06-14-2006, 07:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sleeperwoken HB User

I don't know if your daughter has lyme, but I will tell you that's exactly how my problems started many years back when I was a kid. It just escalated from there. I read somewhere that they incubate in the glands in the neck. I remember when I was little I had those bumps and I told my mom that I thought I had cancer! I was small and just heard about someone with cancer during the time that the bumps popped up after the bite from the tick. Back then we didn't know about lyme. The bumps hurt, after that my next symptom was a sore throat. The bumps did go away, but that's because the lyme spread out from there. Then all the mysterious stuff began.

One thing about lyme is that it moves. People don't always tackle the problem right away because the symptoms change and they think, "Oh that went away." But it isn't gone, it's just changing. The bumps go away and you feel relieved, but then she has pain somewhere. They are not separate issues, they are related. Keep a log, take photos of the red marks.

I hope you can get your daughter to a Lyme Literate MD very soon. If she has lyme and you tackle it early, there's a very good chance you can get rid of it without any long-term effects.

Please let us know what happens.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:41 AM   #6
(male)

jeff1 HB User

Thanks for all of your input.

We took her to our pediatrician who was not concerned. He said to keep an eye on her and if it got larger or any other symptoms developed to bring her back in.

The place where she was bitten has a small mump and is sore. Her lymph node in her neck is not really sore, just a little swollen.

How do I go about finding a good Lyme aware dr in the area (Southern NJ), and is there a test they would do on my daughter to know conclusively if there is any concern form the tick? We saved the ticks for a week but they were thrown out just the day before we found the swollen lymph node.

Jeff

Old 06-14-2006, 01:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Jeff. I wish you would have saved the ticks longer. For future reference, they can be tested at IgeneX Lab in Palo Alto, CA.

No Lyme disease test is completely reliable, and results can vary by lab. Most people will test negative early in the infection. The best Lyme pediatrician in the country is Dr. Charles Ray Jones in New Haven, CT. I suggest calling his office for advice. He and his staff are wonderful. There are not many Lyme doctors in the country, there are fewer who treat children.

There is a Lyme doctor in Jackson, NJ named Dr. Emilia Eiras, but I don't know if she treats children.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out. I think you are wise for getting more information.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:33 PM   #8
Veteran

ciconner HB User

Hi Jeff1,

I've had too many docs tell me not to worry about the lymph nodes in our necks and it does mean there is an infection. The docs would tell me it is an infection from the neck up.

One of my son's had lyme for a long time and a few months ago, I had my other son tested because of a swollen lymph node. The test was negative, but I took him to the LLMD. My husband went with him and didn't mention the swollen glands, but the doc found them. He's being tested for lyme again and other tick borne diseases. He also found that his ankles are tender. A few times he's woken up at night with pain in his ankles. The LLMD feels strongly that he has a tick borne disease, not necessarily lyme. I'm still waiting for the results.

Kids' symptoms are hard figure out. I hope you find a doc who takes swollen lymph nodes serious. In my experience most docs have told me it is nothing. I guess they just don't have an answer and it's hard to figure out what's going on. Even if it goes away, that doesn't mean the problem is solved.

And then again, hopefully whatever caused the lymph node to swell is something your daughter's system will resolve on its own. Hope all is well.

Cat

Closed Thread